PDA

View Full Version : I`ve tried a lot of different products but nothing works, might just have to replace it.

Pages : [1] 2

bcgreen
01-17-2017, 09:55 PM
This is some sort of flaw in the plastic steering wheel from a `76 Carrera. I`ve cleaned it with all sorts of chemicals and tried coating it to even it out or minimize the stain or flaw. This is the way I got it a number of years ago so I don`t know why it looks like it does.

walt_mink
01-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Do you think you can sand it? SEM makes some great flexible texturing spray and flexible paint. It might be worth a last ditch try.

Otherwise there are some nice period momo wheels. I have one on my 928.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

WaxAddict
01-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Good first post walt. I`ve had good luck with SEM paint in a Porsche interior with similar defects. Prep is key, to get the years of Armor All or whatever out of the pores. I was ecstatic with the results, and that`s black, in a non-use area (`cept for the occasional horn beep), so it`s a safe bet.

bcgreen
01-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Do you think you can sand it? SEM makes some great flexible texturing spray and flexible paint. It might be worth a last ditch try.

Otherwise there are some nice period momo wheels. I have one on my 928.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Too valuable to go for non original parts. Will look into SEM, just concerned it might make it worse.

bcgreen
01-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Good first post walt. I`ve had good luck with SEM paint in a Porsche interior with similar defects. Prep is key, to get the years of Armor All or whatever out of the pores. I was ecstatic with the results, and that`s black, in a non-use area (`cept for the occasional horn beep), so it`s a safe bet.

Thanks. It almost looks like a minor defect, more than a stain. I might be wrong, but at least on the horn section it looks like a defect.

Accumulator
01-18-2017, 11:41 AM
walt_mink- Welcome to Autopia! Fellow 928 nut here, had ?what?...four of `em back in the day (IIRC). Hard habit to break, but I finally gave it up ;)

What`s yours? year/color/trans/etc. etc.

walt_mink
01-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Too valuable to go for non original parts. Will look into SEM, just concerned it might make it worse.

Yeah, I get that for sure, but if it`s headed to the trash anyway then it`s worth a shot.

walt_mink
01-18-2017, 01:16 PM
walt_mink- Welcome to Autopia! Fellow 928 nut here, had ?what?...four of `em back in the day (IIRC). Hard habit to break, but I finally gave it up ;)

Ha ha ha - yeah, I can certainly see wanting to give up. :) I have an `82 Wine Red, 5 speed with almost no options. I inherited it from a close family friend, so it`s special to me, but it`s also a pain in the butt. Here`s my (not recently updated) thread on Rennlist.

Project Gary (http://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/947701-project-gary-1982-wine-red-black.html)

It`s off to paint soon and then I can start reassembly. I have every nut and bolt out of it and am going to take them off to be replated tomorrow. Can`t wait to dig back in.

Accumulator
01-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Walt_mink- Good heavens, that`s quite an impressive project! Gary would be proud of you; good on you for giving it what it needs and savng it (I have a full appreciation for what those cars can need ;) ).

GORGEOUS color...and yeah, the manuals are nice in those, didn`t care for my one automatic even though I often lean that way on GT cars.

OK, OK..back on-topic :o

walt_mink
01-18-2017, 03:35 PM
OK, OK..back on-topic :o

Right - sorry about that bcgreen.

Accumulator
01-19-2017, 11:31 AM
walt_mink- Eh, all *My Bad*, not yours.

bcgreen- With it being so old I bet it`s just oxidized to the point of no return. I have some rubber bits on the (not nearly so old) Audis that are like that and *nothing* brings `em back the way I`d like.

I trust you`ve tried prepping it with Griot`s Rubber Prep, without success.

If you try recoloring it with something like the SEM, be sure to overkill the prep work. And even then I`d hope the horn doesn`t get used too much. SEM worked pretty OK for me back in the day, but it`s still "painting something that doesn`t like to be painted" if you get my drift.

Wonder if one of today`s "renew that trim!" miracle products might do it..eh, that`d make it even harder to prep for the SEM if it didn`t turn out though.

bcgreen
01-19-2017, 02:46 PM
I haven`t tried Griot`s.
Wish I knew if the `renew` did indeed work. Don`t want to make it worse.

Concourswanna b
01-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Accumulator, have you ever seen this book: Ultimate Auto Detailing, by David H. Jacobs?

There`s a section picturing George and Kathy Ridderbusch`s `79 928 that they showed at concours.

The products and procedures in that book are so outdated, it`s almost a like nostalgic time capsule of detailing, but it`s the one I paged through time after time back then (mid-1990`s).

There are a few photos of the 928 in there, and, if I remember correctly, George pulled the motor, just to freshen up the engine compartment. "If you want your car to be different, clean everything!"

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32799&stc=1

Accumulator
01-20-2017, 11:12 AM
Accumulator, have you ever seen this book: Ultimate Auto Detailing, by David H. Jacobs?

There`s a section picturing George and Kathy Ridderbusch`s `79 928 that they showed at concours.

Yes indeed, have two editions of it :D Not the one you pictured though. And yeah, that 928 caught my attention as I got my first copy back before I could own things like a 928.

And BTW, PCA Concours competetion always impressed me, especially how the factory entry (based on a new, undrived car) never wins (at least they hadn`t back when I followed such stuff). Whole different definition of "concours" than what the Jag Club does...

Concourswanna b
01-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Right- the old saying that "right off the showroom floor is maybe halfway ready for concours".

Pretty interesting how various clubs and shows differ, as far as what`s important during judging (JCNA vs. PCA, etc.).

I know the "preservation" classes are getting more popular, especially at Pebble Beach.
I like a show where you see both the 100-pointers and the survivors together on the field. It adds to the experience.