PDA

View Full Version : Coating Price Check - flame suit on

Pages : [1] 2

512detail
01-17-2017, 04:30 PM
I’m a little reluctant to post this but I will be putting these prices in print and on my website soon so I want to make sure I am making the right choices. I have a history of underselling myself and my (quality) work and ending that streak is my #1 detail related business goal this year. I need all of your help/input here.

Quite frankly I don`t know any other group of people that have seen more of my work, so I feel some of you can provide some valuable perspective.

Coating price check: (PBL has been edited)
Pinnacle Black Label v2
*edited: free upgrade while supplies last to any exterior detail involving machine polishing (which would start 225 or so- the price I used to sell two step and pbl for- wow that`s bad)

The CSL package
Wash, clay, iron removal, wheels,tires,glass
One step with Essence
Apply Gtechniq CSL
I have figured out it costs me about $100 or so to apply CSL if I just toss the micro’s afterwards
Longevity: up to 5 years (but gtech says at least 3)
Shine: candy coated glass like shell
Total time for this entire job would be I’d say 8-10 actual hours invested depending on how quickly I feel like working.
I feel this is worth $450-550 depending on size of vehicle (c2v3 topper free)
ADD EXOv3 on top: + $250 and up

---
The Polish Angel Cosmic v2 package
Wash, claybar, iron removal, wheels,tires,glass
Machine applied PA Invincible Primer
Cosmic v2 applied
Cosmic spritz topper to accelerate curing
I have figured out (should) cost me about $100 of product (assuming I can get 5 applications out of the 200ml cosmic spritz, 1 out of the cosmic v2 and 3 out of the invincible primer- please correct me if you feel that is way off as this math is how I based my price)
Longevity: up to 2 years
Shine: presumably very high (have yet to use it)
Total time for this entire job would be about 6-9 hours considering you have to wait 30 mins here and there etc. Granted I’ve never installed this so it’s just an educated guess on that time.
I feel this is worth $350 and up depending on size

*thoughts/comments/critiques welcomed….I probably need a good talking to if necessary, lol!

I`ve thought about these prices a lot and factored out their potential overall hourly rate effect and I feel it`s fair..yes I realize that hourly rate does not factor in the cost of materials but at essentially averaging $50/hr or so for the coating jobs I think that`s a sufficient compensation for my time/effort and relative amount of skill.

Am I high? Low? I create my own market, if you want a quality detail in my area you are either going to Austiin, New Braunfels (assuming the autopian who used to frequent here is still in business) or San Antonio…but why? I’m RIGHT here for them? J but I’m not gonna give hack job prices anymore. I feel like my previously low prices hurt the high quality industry I am trying to run a small business in.

Justins00ss
01-17-2017, 04:40 PM
The only thing I see is the Pinnacle V2 package without polishing. I think your price is right for it but I would never apply a coating without polishing. The reason being is if you wash, clay, decon then coat over existing defects and that client shows someone else who knows what they`re looking for it could turn into them bad mouthing your work. Even though that package doesn`t include polishing the client may not let it be known that you just coated it and that`s it. I would just replace V2 with hydro2 and advertise it as a express detail package with a sealant for 125-150$ instead of a coating. Hope this makes sense. I`m in the same boat as you in regards to upping my prices.

512detail
01-17-2017, 04:53 PM
The only thing I see is the Pinnacle V2 package without polishing. I think your price is right for it but I would never apply a coating without polishing. The reason being is if you wash, clay, decon then coat over existing defects and that client shows someone else who knows what they`re looking for it could turn into them bad mouthing your work. Even though that package doesn`t include polishing the client may not let it be known that you just coated it and that`s it. I would just replace V2 with hydro2 and advertise it as a express detail package with a sealant for 125-150$ instead of a coating. Hope this makes sense. I`m in the same boat as you in regards to upping my prices.

fantastic point and one that I struggled with in my head (I personally do not want to coat any car that does not have proper polishing)

I will have to revisit the PBL package, and the cosmic one will be mostly for the client who wants "the best shine"

My basic package (exterior) would normally include a spray sealant like Rupes P808 or something - just coz it`s fast easy and should last a couple months

512detail
01-17-2017, 04:57 PM
im just gonna free upgrade the last of my PBL bottle to say farewell to that product

free upgrade to pbl for any exterior polishing job (should have enough pbl left to do at least 3 sedans)

I`ll frame it as part of my 5 year anniversary (while supplies last)

Ronkh
01-17-2017, 05:00 PM

Great idea !

RaskyR1
01-17-2017, 05:50 PM
I think you`re a little low tbh. heck, I may even be low when I look at some other installer prices...

I have mine set up showing actual prices for each coating but I also state that each coating requires a MINIMUM of my Base Exterior (1-Step) correction for all coatings. My Base package is a full 1-step polish though, not just a quick once over with a light polish. If someone really just wanted Gloss-Coat but didn`t care about the swirls I`d consider a light polish with Primer, but it`s not something I`d like to do or even advertise.

My minimum pricing
Gloss-Coat $300 + base correction $600 for a total of $900
CSL $400 + base correction $600 for a total of $1000
CQuartz Finest $600 + base correction $600 for a total of $1200

Typically most cars I see require more correction and in the case of Finest, perfectly polished paint is a must.

512detail
01-17-2017, 06:02 PM
I think you`re a little low tbh. heck, I may even be low when I look at some other installer prices...

I have mine set up showing actual prices for each coating but I also state that each coating requires a MINIMUM of my Base Exterior (1-Step) correction for all coatings. My Base package is a full 1-step polish though, not just a quick once over with a light polish. If someone really just wanted Gloss-Coat but didn`t care about the swirls I`d consider a light polish with Primer, but it`s not something I`d like to do or even advertise.

My minimum pricing
Gloss-Coat $300 + base correction $600 for a total of $900
CSL $400 + base correction $600 for a total of $1000
CQuartz Finest $600 + base correction $600 for a total of $1200

Typically most cars I see require more correction and in the case of Finest, perfectly polished paint is a must.

thanks Rasky...tbh I don`t consider my work on the same level as yours, so I don`t think I could ever get any buyers at much higher of a price but I do feel I have a little room to add 50 or so to the base of my current ideas.

And that`s another thing I really struggle with is that I don`t want to coat a car that is not at least 85% corrected or more, preferably in the 90s range if not higher. - which is why I was giving away labor hours on those mopars a lot..booking one steps and giving them compound and polish because I wasn`t going to put my name on that glass coated swirl..but that was no way to run a business and I literally got burnt out quite quickly considering the opportunity cost was not worth it to me after a while.

In my head I have legitimate 1 step (not essence,etc) as 225-300 depending on size of vehicle
2 step as 325-500ish depending on size

I thought about and had a pricing sheet that had coatings as stand alone additions to my polishing packages, because why not let me coat it once it`s in the best condition you`re gonna see it in- was my thoughts, so I made the prices a little lower than I probably needed to and threw that pricing sheet in the trash two days later after giving it more thought.

Pricing is really tough when you`re just a `hobbyist` like myself but I feel I do pretty decent work and if I`m gonna put in the time I might as well get compensated fairly for it.

Billy Baldone
01-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Ok, other than your cost for Polish Angel, does it really offer the customer that much more of a benefit? Is it really that much better?

512detail
01-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Ok, other than your cost for Polish Angel, does it really offer the customer that much more of a benefit? Is it really that much better?

I dunno but once I get the kit I hope someone pays me to find out! lol

I`m simply basing that price on how much an application would cost me and a modest fee for my "skills" in applying it

I realize a PA coating may be out of most people`s price range but I`m not going to give it away. and honestly I priced it close to CSL because I`d rather sell CSL packages (more $)

Justins00ss
01-17-2017, 07:38 PM
thanks Rasky...tbh I don`t consider my work on the same level as yours, so I don`t think I could ever get any buyers at much higher of a price but I do feel I have a little room to add 50 or so to the base of my current ideas.

And that`s another thing I really struggle with is that I don`t want to coat a car that is not at least 85% corrected or more, preferably in the 90s range if not higher. - which is why I was giving away labor hours on those mopars a lot..booking one steps and giving them compound and polish because I wasn`t going to put my name on that glass coated swirl..but that was no way to run a business and I literally got burnt out quite quickly considering the opportunity cost was not worth it to me after a while.

In my head I have legitimate 1 step (not essence,etc) as 225-300 depending on size of vehicle
2 step as 325-500ish depending on size

I thought about and had a pricing sheet that had coatings as stand alone additions to my polishing packages, because why not let me coat it once it`s in the best condition you`re gonna see it in- was my thoughts, so I made the prices a little lower than I probably needed to and threw that pricing sheet in the trash two days later after giving it more thought.

Pricing is really tough when you`re just a `hobbyist` like myself but I feel I do pretty decent work and if I`m gonna put in the time I might as well get compensated fairly for it.

So I am glad that you mentioned about booking one steps and then going having to do 2 to get the paint up to par for the coating.

For this year I have a started doing a pretty much mandatory 2 step compound and polish for my coating jobs. Obviously if the vehicle is very very well maintained I will negotiate a one step. But oftentimes trying to dial in a perfect one step takes up a bunch of time. Obviously there are instances where a one step is perfectly fine on a lighter color car but overall all coating jobs are getting a 2 step. Been burned a couple times for the same reasons as you.

Oh and props for everyone in here helping and having a honest discussion without egos and drama.

Justins00ss
01-17-2017, 07:46 PM
So here`s where I`m at right now going over pricing.

I really only offer CSL for my coating jobs.

2step with CSL car/mid SUV starts at 550 and includes glass coating with Mckees 37

For Full size trucks- start at 650 and includes glass coating

Wheel coating- faces only- 125
Wheels off - 250

Ronkh
01-17-2017, 07:51 PM
While you guys are pricing stuff..... Is it worth adding another price for a 2nd coat?

512detail
01-17-2017, 08:10 PM
So I am glad that you mentioned about booking one steps and then going having to do 2 to get the paint up to par for the coating.

For this year I have a started doing a pretty much mandatory 2 step compound and polish for my coating jobs. Obviously if the vehicle is very very well maintained I will negotiate a one step. But oftentimes trying to dial in a perfect one step takes up a bunch of time. Obviously there are instances where a one step is perfectly fine on a lighter color car but overall all coating jobs are getting a 2 step. Been burned a couple times for the same reasons as you.

Oh and props for everyone in here helping and having a honest discussion without egos and drama.

I think I need to do that for CSL since it lasts so long, and definitely would have to do it if they wanted to go to crazy town and get CSL Black (CSL+EXOv3) or I could do v2 topper as I still have an unopened bottle and another just freshly opened last week.

So here`s where I`m at right now going over pricing.

I really only offer CSL for my coating jobs.

2step with CSL car/mid SUV starts at 550 and includes glass coating with Mckees 37

For Full size trucks- start at 650 and includes glass coating

Wheel coating- faces only- 125
Wheels off - 250

I think I need to find a way to get aligned more with your prices. I know gtechniq charges 400 or 450 for csl as an addon (if you`re an authorized GTECH person- which I have considered but cuts into my profit margin probably)

All I know for sure is when I did that white hellcat challenger the owner straight up told me that I needed to double my price or people would start to take advantage of my car club connection...and that was when I was on the back end of my mopar summer and burnt out for sure.

I think of all those CSL jobs I did and I really think they are worth not a penny less than 500... I think if I raised my CSL price a tad more I could add in a solid compounding and finish it with essence which doesn`t take near as long as the compounding

the last thing I want is to turn out a car that looks like crap under the coating- that is not the kind of work I would want to display

While you guys are pricing stuff..... Is it worth adding another price for a 2nd coat?

great idea....which brings me to my CSL Black package which is CSL with a topper of EXO (v3 now)....my raw cost for the EXO shows up on my sheet as ~$80 if I Ron the towels (toss `em)...I`ve been soaking them immediately and washing and have seen zero issues so far but i`d rather just add their cost into the price and even if I decided to wash them I could just use them the next time for wheel duty etc and then toss them.

exo is quicker to apply than csl (for me)....so I had it at +$250 (assuming one 30ml worked) BUT when I do that combo I am actually applying and removing EXO twice...so I feel maybe I`m cutting myself short there on profit relative to time spent.

but now that I add these up..we`re talking 2 step and CSL for 500,550 (on a 2/4 door car/sedan) + 250/300 for EXO, that`s one heck of a payday for me but I just don`t see anyone paying for it....but at least I have two vehicles I can show them how it behaves on and that is always a good selling point. :)

That`s approaching PRO only coating prices (but includes the polishing)

Guys on facebook detailing groups say I should charge 1k for the GTECH csl + exo ... man wouldn`t that be nice

Ronkh
01-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Also remember.......

"Starting from"

(so ya don`t get burned on a Tahoe or suburban)

trashmanssd
01-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Also remember.......

"Starting from"

(so ya don`t get burned on a Tahoe or suburban)
Yeah you got watch out for those guy with giant black Tahoe`s.