PDA

View Full Version : Price of coatings?

Pages : [1] 2

MrEvan94
12-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Ok I have a question for the guys who offer coatings like gtechniq. How do y`all charge on top of everything? Say your doing every part of an SUV. What do you charge so you make sure you make profit on top of the price for the product? Also how much do you usually use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

512detail
12-22-2016, 05:39 PM
product amt depends on what size vehicle you do...I was doing chargers and having a tiny bit left in the 30ml bottle (enough to do probably another hood or roof).....cost...well..good luck getting people to discuss their prices on here..lol....I can tell you that if you use GTECH CSL , you will need to toss at least 4 microfiber towels and two micro suede applicators....I factor in the material cost and the labor hours to apply it POST polishing- I do not sell coatings unless they purchase polishing and if they bring me a car that doesn`t need polishing I`ll probably not know what to do-lol.....it takes me about 2.5 hours to apply CSL to a charger (but im kind of slow)....you just have to figure out what your time is worth and what you can get $ wise in your area....I have people call me for coatings I display on facebook and when I tell them the price, there is that awkward silence moment....I made a few mistakes on pricing up front - especially with CSL and it bit me in the arse so I`m not making that mistake again...if you want a multi year coating--you`re gonna pay good money for it if you want this guy to install it (at least that`s my thought process)
---
shops around here charge 350 or more just for Finest, Gloss Coat, and the like....900+ for opticoat pro

Ronkh
12-22-2016, 05:51 PM
---
shops around here charge 350 or more just for Finest, Gloss Coat, and the like....900+ for opticoat pro

???????

512detail
12-22-2016, 05:56 PM
???????
? what? they can charge that. i didnt say what i charge, but you prolly know

Ronkh
12-22-2016, 05:58 PM
You said "finest"

Finest has a map of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am guessing you mean regular cq

glfnaz
12-22-2016, 06:14 PM
product amt depends on what size vehicle you do...I was doing chargers and having a tiny bit left in the 30ml bottle (enough to do probably another hood or roof).....cost...well..good luck getting people to discuss their prices on here..lol....I can tell you that if you use GTECH CSL , you will need to toss at least 4 microfiber towels and two micro suede applicators....I factor in the material cost and the labor hours to apply it POST polishing- I do not sell coatings unless they purchase polishing and if they bring me a car that doesn`t need polishing I`ll probably not know what to do-lol.....it takes me about 2.5 hours to apply CSL to a charger (but im kind of slow)....you just have to figure out what your time is worth and what you can get $ wise in your area....I have people call me for coatings I display on facebook and when I tell them the price, there is that awkward silence moment....I made a few mistakes on pricing up front - especially with CSL and it bit me in the arse so I`m not making that mistake again...if you want a multi year coating--you`re gonna pay good money for it if you want this guy to install it (at least that`s my thought process)
---

2 1/2 hours to apply.

Is that application of coating only, or are you including time to polish?

512detail
12-22-2016, 06:26 PM
You said "finest"

Finest has a map of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am guessing you mean regular cq

true..thats cq uk I believe at 350.... good catch

512detail
12-22-2016, 06:27 PM
2 1/2 hours to apply.

lol

no. it takes me a day or two to polish - im slow

that`s just applying to already prepped and stripped paint

mobiledynamics
12-22-2016, 06:31 PM
Dare I take this slightly off topic. What does it entail to become certified....assuming MAP agreement, and exclusivity to said installer with X miles boundaries. Just curious I suppose.

I know of certified installers IMO is a complete hack, and I just wonder aside from $$ going both ways, one would think the vetting of professional detailing ethics comes with become part of the ~network~.

MrEvan94
12-22-2016, 06:38 PM
2 1/2 hours to apply.

If it`s a decent sized car it will take me about three days to fully do the exterior. And I set aside a whole day for interior depending on what I`m doing. I am slow but that`s because I`m OCD and there`s a reason I always get the " looks better than brand new"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaneB
12-22-2016, 11:43 PM
I don`t currently offer coatings but want to in the future. That being said, I`d probably be thinking $300 for the coating upgrade. So that would be on top of what the detail itself costs. So with my prices, a single step correction and coating (consumer grade stuff) I`d be starting around $600. The cost of product and material is a lot of that. Gotta figure $50-$75 for the coating, towels that will be waste and the time/effort required to properly prep and apply.

glfnaz
12-23-2016, 08:16 AM
lol

no. it takes me a day or two to polish - im slow

that`s just applying to already prepped and stripped paint

Thanks. Nothing wrong with being slow. You are probably a perfectionist and very thorough.

Justins00ss
12-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Typically an additional 200$ or so on top the correction. I include the exterior glass coating as well. Wheels I get another 100$ for just faces and 200-250 for full barrel and faces on wheels.

That`s for Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light on the paint, Mckees glass coating on the glass and Mckees wheel coating.

Most of my full coating packages are in the 600-800$ range depending on size and condition. CSL on a sedan takes me about 1.5hrs to apply after prepping.

donbeezy
12-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Typically an additional 200$ or so on top the correction. I include the exterior glass coating as well. Wheels I get another 100$ for just faces and 200-250 for full barrel and faces on wheels.

That`s for Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light on the paint, Mckees glass coating on the glass and Mckees wheel coating.

Most of my full coating packages are in the 600-800$ range depending on size and condition. CSL on a sedan takes me about 1.5hrs to apply after prepping.

the 600-800 range includes compound/polish? if so, that`s an awesome deal for the quality of work you put out!

Justins00ss
12-23-2016, 10:25 AM
the 600-800 range includes compound/polish? if so, that`s an awesome deal for the quality of work you put out!

Yeah that`s including the correction process. That`s the market in my area. Once you start throwing out 12-1500$ figures 99% of would be clients walk away. In my area I find most are willing to be in that 600-800 range. The reason I can charge this is due to my low overhead. I don`t pay 2000-3k a month for a shop nor have employees. And I don`t have to worry about health insurance as my wife covers it.

Part of me wants to offer that " Pro Only" coating but the crazy cost just doesn`t sit well with me. Especially in my rural area. The way I see it it doesn`t matter what you put on it. If it`s not maintained perfectly then within 2 years it`s going to need to be repolished due to normal wear and tear. The coating will most likely hold up but fine marks etc will eventually appear. Just my thoughts on it. I couldn`t sleep well knowing I just charged a client 1500+ for something that could need a repolishing as soon as a "non pro" coating.