PDA

View Full Version : Pitted and Scratched Glass

whoispat
11-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Hi All, I know the general topic has been covered before, but I want to reach out to see if there is anyone who has had any level of success in improving clarity of a worn, scratched, pitted windshield. Attached is a picture at dusk from the interior of my 2007 Honda Accord with 75k miles. The glass is as clean as a glass cleaning microfiber and Invisible Glass spray will get it. Since this picture was taken, I have clay barred until the glass was smooth under a plastic sheet, applied Rain-X Xtreme Clean (https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-water-repellents-cleaners/rainx-xtreme-clean/) with an orbital polisher and Griot`s glass polishing pads, then re-treated with traditional Rain-X. These steps made little to no difference in the clarity of the glass. I know that many of these defects are permanent and the only true fix is replacement, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to soften the optical distortion of the pits and scratches, either by polishing, or by filling them with a better coating than Rain-X. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32491&stc=1

etnops
11-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Carpro Ceriglass and Rayon Glass pads. Figure you`ll spend a couple of hours - but there`s a good chance that will all come out with the right tools/materials and patience.

rlmccarty2000
11-30-2016, 02:16 PM
Might be worth just having it replaced. A rock cracked my windshield and my insurance covered it no charge. That looks like it would be hazardous to drive. CarPro Ceriglass and rayon pads is about your only other option, but pack a lunch glass is tough to polish.

Merlin
11-30-2016, 03:20 PM
I have had good results with the DA, a CarPro Glass Rayon Polishing Pad and CarPro CeriGlass Polish.

However, there are a few things to be aware of.
Like paint, the imperfections may be too deep to repair safely.
The good news is you don not need to worry about cutting through CC.
Do NOT let the glass get too hot when you are polishing. It will crack.
Use lots of water to make sure the glass stays cool during polishing.
Windshields are made of two very thin pieces of glass with a plastic inner layer.

Suggestion:
Start with a small 3" Glass Rayon pad, CeriGlass Polish and do a test an area.

JustJesus
11-30-2016, 07:08 PM
I`ve had those Rayon pads in both sizes, and CeriGlass for a bit now, knowing I`d use them (and I will, I promise).

It just hit me though: How does one go about cleaning these pads after use? Are they treated the same as other pads?

I ask, because when I was sorting through pads last night, i pulled one out and noticed the texture is quite different from foam or MF pads.

Merlin
12-01-2016, 07:04 AM
I`ve had those Rayon pads in both sizes, and CeriGlass for a bit now, knowing I`d use them (and I will, I promise).

It just hit me though: How does one go about cleaning these pads after use? Are they treated the same as other pads?

For me, I wash them by hand in the sink with a little Dawn soap. Rinse thoroughly and lay face down to dry.

Bunky
12-01-2016, 07:41 AM
I think if someone is trying to serious work on glass they should practice first to get the technique down especially if you plan to use a glass specific pad.

Raymoche
12-01-2016, 08:40 AM
1523 - CRL Scratch-A-Way Electrical Glass Polishing System - 220 Volts (http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/offerpage.aspx?Productid=73037&GroupID=43022&History=30587:15282:15283:42847&ModelID=43022)

Probably too much money for the end goal. but these pads are serious business. requires experience and technique. kit not necessary, just the pads.

whoispat
12-15-2016, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions, I`ve never seen the CRL cerium oxide pads before, sometime in the future I will have to get a piece of test glass and try those with my orbital polisher. I think for now I will stick with Rayon pads and Ceriglass and see where that gets me.

pologuy
12-15-2016, 12:47 PM
I have never seen a windshield like that before.

How does a windshield even get like that...?

whoispat
12-15-2016, 02:18 PM
How does a windshield even get like that...?

I assumed that maybe Honda used a cheaper/softer glass than what has been in my other cars, since they have received the same care and same general usage, but my other cars have not had such severe wear. Another factor I noticed is that the glass was in good shape before I moved from a rural area in a temperate climate to the inner loop of Houston, TX; after the move is when the glass started to become damaged, so perhaps the harsh UV`s, acid rain (pH4.8) and industrial fallout have had an effect.

I also apply rain-x about once a month and use green Rain-X Bug Remover washer fluid, I have begun to wonder if the washer fluid is slightly acidic or has some kind of long-term effect on the glass.

Swanicyouth
12-15-2016, 08:52 PM
It is possible to restore clarity... You can fix most of the scratches - but not the pitts (realistically).

You need these 3 things:

1. A GG 6 DA

2. CarPro Rayon Glass Pads

3. Ceri Gass polish

I have used these 3 things successfully to fix all the glass on my 16 year old Nissan to near perfect. Did multiple write ups on AGO how to do it.

Not only was my glass scratched up from 16 years of abuse, but it was also jacked up from using other glass polishing pads that damage glass.

nickclark08
12-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Ex-Houstonite here - Cypress area.

My windshield definitely took a beating driving down 290 everyday.

Good luck - and I don`t mean that sarcastically!

Nick

I assumed that maybe Honda used a cheaper/softer glass than what has been in my other cars, since they have received the same care and same general usage, but my other cars have not had such severe wear. Another factor I noticed is that the glass was in good shape before I moved from a rural area in a temperate climate to the inner loop of Houston, TX; after the move is when the glass started to become damaged, so perhaps the harsh UV`s, acid rain (pH4.8) and industrial fallout have had an effect.

I also apply rain-x about once a month and use green Rain-X Bug Remover washer fluid, I have begun to wonder if the washer fluid is slightly acidic or has some kind of long-term effect on the glass.