PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new car next week

Pages : [1] 2

re-tired
11-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Would you folks wash- then do a IPA wipe down , clay , then apply a protectant?

The clay has me worried cause I am thinking that will induce swirls.

Thoughts

pingable
11-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Clay will get rid of rail dust,transport, etc...
I would do a mild polish before sealing/coating

JBM
11-16-2016, 06:42 PM
You might want to use an iron remover and some clay. Other then that ask them not to detail it for you at all.

PRND[S]
11-16-2016, 06:50 PM
1. Wash
2. Decontaminate using iron remover
3. Clay
4. Wash
5. IPA wipedown
6. Seal

The Guz
11-16-2016, 07:16 PM
;2083233`]1. Wash
3. Clay
4. Wash
5. IPA wipedown
6. Seal

I would do this but I would consider doing a coating. Possibly even a finishing pad with a finishing polish to add more gloss. Something like Essence would be an idea.

Ronkh
11-16-2016, 07:44 PM
;2083233`]1. Wash
3. Clay
4. Wash
5. IPA wipedown
6. Seal

I would do this but I would consider doing a coating. Possibly even a finishing pad with a finishing polish to add more gloss. Something like Essence would be an idea.

Those

re-tired
11-16-2016, 08:41 PM
so you folks would use a " machine" on a brand new car?? I had no idea . I just figured new paint wouldn`t need anything like that.

I don`t have anything like that (power equipt.)

I think I would be scared anyway if I did.

Civicclutch
11-16-2016, 09:02 PM
I just detailed a 3 week old truck last weekend and the paint was hazy and needed a basic polish to bring some gloss out. It ain`t perfect due to time constraints but owner was surprised and happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudgetPlan1
11-16-2016, 09:35 PM
New black Subaru was totally gooned on hood with fine scratches when I got it home. Figrd may as well learn how to fix it myself as opposed to dealing with dealer. Started reading AG, started stockpiling stuff from AG...and down the rabbit hole I went.

Just picked up a new winter car last month, did the full iron, clay, polish, coat paint, wheels, tires, trim deal the first weekend. Paint was in good condition but a very light polish made it just that little bit better.

Guess the only real answer is to check paint closely; maybe dealer didn`t get a chance to `wash` it and the paint will still be nice.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Fast Eddie
11-16-2016, 09:44 PM
I did this Fiat the other day, brand new and it was detailed by the dealership before my customer took delivery. The amount of fine scratches, adhesive still left on the car, etc was shocking. It definitely need good decon and polish.
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af238/fasteddie100/IMG_0044_zpslrzejvfx.jpg

jatleson
11-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Just went through the new car clean-up with our brand new, All Black Durango R/T. Here is the process I did (I did sections at time after work). Car didn`t have much swirl, but the surface was rough from being on the dealer`s lot for 2 years (never titled 2015).

Debadged the tail gate
Griots Waterless Wash
Clay
M105 in small areas if needed (GG Boss 15 and GG 3" polishers)
M205 (GG Boss 15)
IPA wipe down
Collinite 845 (PC polisher)

Did tires with TufShire + Simple Green cleaner, coated with Tuf Shine
Wheels coated with CarPro Hydro2

parttimer
11-17-2016, 11:40 AM
I prefer to do my iron remover before the wash stage. Sometimes agitation is used during the iron remover stage so you may be washing the car twice. I also find iron removers don`t work well on wet vehicles. So, are you going to wash, dry, icron remove, wash, clay, rinse then dry? I use a speedy prep towel so rather than drying, i move to clay (towel) with lube, rinse then dry. Anytime you do mechanical decon it is a good idea to follow up with a polish.

Accumulator
11-17-2016, 12:44 PM
I would not take delivery unless the vehicle was still in the transit-wrap/etc., but that`s just me. I`d remove said wrap at the dealership so I could do a proper inspection (as did Bill D). You never know what you might find wrong with a "brand new car".

I`d decontaminate with ABC since it`s still what all the major automakers approve/specify/use.

I`d correct it if it needs it...AND IF you can keep it that way.

Be careful about the pre-delivery inspection since you`ll be DIYing the cosmetic prep. I would/HAVE turned down more than one brand-new car over flaws that displeased me. DO NOT TAKE DELIVERY until you`ve ascertained that its condition is OK in *your* opinion.

RaskyR1
11-17-2016, 12:49 PM
I agree with the others on using a chemical iron remover. I also wouldn`t clay unless I was following with a light polish. IMO all new cars need some amount of polishing, even if it`s just a light cleaner polish.

Wash/dry
IronX and TarX if need
Wash
Clay
polish
IPA
Seal/Coat

Accumulator
11-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Heh heh...ABC it and it`d better *not* need claying! If that process didn`t do the job I wouldn`t want that particular "new" car.