PDA

View Full Version : Small Achievement Last Night

Pages : [1] 2

RaysWay
11-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Last night while refilling all of my spray bottles I realized I reached a personal achievement.

http://i.imgur.com/ApAe8Yv.jpg

I can`t remember the last time I went through an entire gallon of product, let alone an APC I use at 5:1 (6 gallons). Normally I end up giving away my used gallons to friends or family before I run out, but this stuff is awesome.

I`ll be heading home with a fresh gallon tonight :)

I remember switching to OPC when Dr. G replied to a question regarding damaging tires if using certain products or chemicals. OPC was formulated to be a safe on tires, and after researching into highly caustic APC`s....made the switch and haven`t looked back since.

This is a great technical subject you have brought up since tire can age prematurely and cause rubber to crack due to improper maintenance. Rubber used in tire is based on polymerizing isoprene which forms a polyunsaturated polymer. The unsaturation will react with ozone and breaks down causing cracking. As you said, tire manufacturers add ozone scavengers and UV blockers when they formulate tires to prevent UV and ozone degradation. As tire rotates, these protectants will come to surface continuously over the life of tire which is referred to as churning or blooming.

The browning of tire is due to the UV and ozone blockers on the surface. Solvent based tire dressings and aggressive cleaners will leach out ozone blockers and UV absorbers and bring them to the surface causing excessive browning as you mentioned, This will cause a reduction of these protectants in the tire which will cause premature aging and cracking of tire. This is why tire manufacturers recommend against solvent based dressings. Both Optimum Tire Shine and Opti-Bond Tire Gel are water based, contain ozone and UV blockers, and are free of any solvents. Power Clean also is a mild cleaner that does not cause leaching or premature aging of tires.

RaydiantDetail
11-16-2016, 02:41 PM
Hi Vega

Do you know how this compares to Megs D101? That is what I use but if this is a better product when my gallon is done I wouldnt mind making the switch.

Thanks,
Ray

RaysWay
11-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Hi Vega

Do you know how this compares to Megs D101? That is what I use but if this is a better product when my gallon is done I wouldnt mind making the switch.

Thanks,
Ray

Honestly I`ve never used D101 regularly, so I don`t have much experience with it.

Here`s a thread on AGO talking about some differences: OPC vs APC (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/39045-opc-vs-apc.html)

mnehls86
11-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Ray
Just what comes to mind at first for me is less aggressive smell, lower foaming from OPC and better cleaning abilities.

House of Wax
11-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Love me some OPC

JustJesus
11-16-2016, 06:58 PM
Nicely done.

The most I`ve used is a 32oz bottle of ONR. Unless you count all those 1 gallon jugs of distilled water (and I don`t).

rlmccarty2000
11-16-2016, 07:17 PM
I`m halfway through my Meg`s APC gallon. I would probably be finished with it, but I keep picking up other APCs to try.

tom p.
11-16-2016, 07:34 PM
The Power Clean is the best APC I`ve tried. I kinda save it for the tougher jobs. I`m just about to finish my first gallon, too. It`s taken a while and I`ll certainly buy again.

I also own Meg`s APC and APC+. The APC+ is quite a good product.

The Guz
11-16-2016, 07:37 PM
I also own Meg`s APC and APC+. The APC+ is quite a good product.

Yes it is. I still have 2 gallons left. Looking to try OPC once I am done with them.

ShawnF350
11-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Does anyone know if Poorboys APC is also a safe caustic free option?

Ronkh
11-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Does anyone know if Poorboys APC is also a safe caustic free option?

Very safe

JaredPointer
11-17-2016, 11:07 AM
I remember switching to OPC when Dr. G replied to a question regarding damaging tires if using certain products or chemicals. OPC was formulated to be a safe on tires, and after researching into highly caustic APC`s....made the switch and haven`t looked back since.

Not trying to dissent with you or a doctor or anything, but...

How would one even quantify a claim like this? I mean, I guess you could apply some chemistry or something, but in my lifetime I have always used off-the-shelf degreaser/APC (Purple Power, Bleche White, etc) to clean tires, and have never noticed any sort of tire damage. And I put a lot of miles on tires. I just find it hard to believe, given my experience with tires, that I would damage them with APC before I run the tread off of them. Since it`s obviously a researched topic with evidence, it would be interesting to know just how much APC you`d have to use or how long it would take to damage a tire enough to affect the tires integrity.

glfnaz
11-17-2016, 02:03 PM
I also switched to OPC a while back too. Great product

rwright
11-17-2016, 02:50 PM
I stopped using OPC after it removed paint from a fuel door on a customer`s car and removed paint from an engine bay on a family members car. Not long after I made the post, I had several people message me with pictures of damaged interior plastics. My dilution ratios were typically 1:5 for tires and 1:10 for painted areas (former dilution ratio 1:3). I switched back to P21S Total Auto Wash for painted areas and Duragloss Ultimate Orange for interior use.

Zelfiris
11-17-2016, 02:53 PM
Congrats on the achievement!

Come to think of it, I have only finished one 1g of my products and that was also OPC.
Next closest will be ONR