PDA

View Full Version : Just Tooling Around - Fender Covers

pingable
11-10-2016, 10:34 PM
What are all of ya`ll using for fender covers for all you weekend warrior wrenchers

I use old WW towels that I have my wife just hem together to make 1 big a## towel.

I know Griots makes a specific one...
Be curious how do ya`ll work if you`re wrenching on the car

Raymoche
11-10-2016, 11:48 PM
I wear old sweat pants and a soft cotton shirt, also old. Then i practice good habits of not carrying anything and have a stool near by so I can rest one knee on it to reduce strain on my back...

Never really had to use fender covers, even when i was wrenching professionally... Well unless its a monster job like head gasket.. Then i line the car with some masking tape in high risk areas, and lay down two fender covers the shop has.

pingable
11-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Yeah, it depends on the car I suppose....I suppose it`s when I`m tooling around on the SUV

davidc
11-11-2016, 10:08 AM
I have the Griots and love them with the magnets. I bought 2 of them ( 2 fenders ) and also use them to cover the sill plates when the German Shepherd jumps into the trucks back seat. I do have to put the top magnets over the top inside lip so they are at a 90 degree so the covers do not slip on the wax and fall off. I do highly recommend them, I have used a lot of covers over the years and these are the best so far.

Dave

dschribs
11-11-2016, 10:25 AM
I got mine from Summit Racing. Very heavy duty and foam backing so they stay put. They were like $25 for a pair if I`m not mistaken. Saved the paint on my fenders quite a few times when I dropped a wrench...

Billy Jack
11-11-2016, 03:52 PM
I use the foam-lined vinyl ones, too. I hate to mention it and I won`t link it, since it`s not a PBMG product, but TRC sells a 24X36 inch suede microfiber fender cover. AutoGeek lists this one, which at 25X36 inches would be a good reasonably-priced choice, paired up with a few supermagnets:Cobra Deluxe Ultra 600 Microfiber Towel, microfiber buffing towel, microfiber drying towel, detail towel, micro fiber (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-deluxe-ultra-towel.html)

Bill

Accumulator
11-12-2016, 02:57 PM
I have the Griots and love them with the magnets. I bought 2 of them..I do highly recommend them, I have used a lot of covers over the years and these are the best so far.

Same here. I send them along when the cars go if for service (the magnets don`t help much on the aluminum cars) though I generally expect my Techs to simply avoid leaning on/touching the paint period. Yeah, I`m a PIA customer but the Techs like me anyhow (only four Techs, all of whom I know well, ever touch my vehicles).

Same ol` same ol` for me- unless you`d rub the hood of a Jet Black BMW with it, it doesn`t touch my paint. And if the paint`s *dirty* then it doesn`t get touched at all.