PDA

View Full Version : Glass polishing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Craig_K
11-09-2016, 06:37 AM
This has been bugging me lately. There are a few big shops around me that offer some packages that "clean" the glass and others that "clean and polish" the glass. These are big, high volume shops. Are they actually taking the time to polish the glass with something like Ceriglass? I had a Mercedes GLK come in yesterday that had a weird film on the inside of the glass that would not come off, I tried Invisible Glass, 3D 50:1 Glass Cleaner, and even some super strong ammonia based glass cleaner and nothing would take it off. I did some research in this forum and others have said that it could be offgassing of the previous dressing, but I was the last one to detail it and used HD Protect.

Raymoche
11-09-2016, 10:10 AM
Polishing glass to any good effect is not easily attainable.

This is just what I do and you can try it at your own risk...

When there is something that just wont get off with glass cleaner, I go in with a razor blade and scrape the crap out of it. It is not easy to scratch glass with a razor blade, but certainly possible, and I know the tools necessary to remove that scratch if I inflict it...

So If I have a film inside the car, or out, I would try to scrape a small area with a razor blade first to see if its removable.

Alternatively, you can always try to clay the window (I do this with a clay mitt when a job calls for claying...)...

If you tried these things and it didn`t work, discuss with the shop, what is their "polish" they will be using? is it Cerium Oxide? Aluminum Oxide? Can they guarantee that there wouldn`t be noticeable distortion in the glass?

Craig_K
11-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the reply! It might be best to call around and hopefully one of the shops will provide some insight. Most of the shops around here are very secretive, however.

RaysWay
11-09-2016, 10:58 AM
I hate to assume....but I would assume a big high volume shop that`s offering a "clean and polish" glass service is going to be using a fine abrasive glass polish like Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish to remove hard water spots. I`m now a big fan of polishing glass and using a glass polish makes a huge difference.

http://i.imgur.com/iCd2zsf.jpg

If the "Clean and Polish" glass service is over $150, then I would assume they`re using some sort of cerium oxide.

The old formulas and pads were very difficult to use. But the new stuff we have available to us now is amazing and easy to use.

CarPro Ceriglass + CarPro Rayon pads before/after

http://i.imgur.com/1oOboS4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/T3DGwyk.jpg

I wouldn`t tried a test spot on the weird film on the inside of the windshield with a compound.

Craig_K
11-09-2016, 11:01 AM
The glass clean and polish is included in their $150 and $180 packages which include, wash, dry and complete interior detailing (including shampoo).

RaysWay
11-09-2016, 11:16 AM
The glass clean and polish is included in their $150 and $180 packages which include, wash, dry and complete interior detailing (including shampoo).

Ya I would guess a fine abrasive glass polish then. You can polish all of the glass really quickly that way. Something like ceriglass would add 1-3 hours, so the pricing wouldn`t make sense.

Kean
11-09-2016, 11:43 AM
I have cerium oxide powder (made into a slurry) which makes a huge mess but is about the only thing that will remove or help soften deeper scratches that I have tried. You can find kits that bundle a felt polishing wheel you can attach to a drill. There is definitely the issue of changing the optical characteristics of the glass however by removing too much material in one spot.

I have a liter bottle of 3M Glass Polishing Compound which is much milder and rather simple to use. It contains some cerium oxide in an emulsion of other components that is ready to use.

My 2010 Challenger has a horrible problem with off-gassing which causes a very stubborn film to develop (noticeably) within just a few days. .....it`s worse during the summer. It is not caused by products in my case but rather the interior materials. This is the first new car I have owned where this off-gassing didn`t dissipate over time. I tried the 3M polish recently on one of the interior windows. It`s not particularly easy to apply in certain areas and care must be taken on other interior surfaces since it tends to stain plastic. It did however help cut through the film faster than I would be able to with just multiple towels and a glass cleaner.

I have also used the 3M polish on outside glass with a flat glass polishing pad and my Flex 3401. It does quite well in that role.

Raymoche
11-09-2016, 11:46 AM
I also doubt they do interior window polishing...

I must need another cup of coffee, I was thinking of something much more sever when polishing glass was mentioned. As Ray said, its probably just a fine polish to clean the windows up...

I was more thinking something much more aggressive to take a lot of crazy stuff off the window, including scratches.. which fine polishing probably wont do anything.

Craig_K
11-09-2016, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the replies! It must be some kind of polish applied by hand, I can`t see a shop taking the time to break out a polisher and pads on a $180 job that includes a full interior detail and a wash, wheels and tires cleaned etc.

rlmccarty2000
11-09-2016, 11:34 PM
I imagine it is like Vega said, a Wolfgang Perfekt Vision type polish. It is good stuff, especially prior to coating the glass.

Accumulator
11-10-2016, 11:23 AM
This is just what I do and you can try it at your own risk...

Disclaimer noted :D That said...

When there is something that just wont get off with glass cleaner, I go in with a razor blade and scrape the crap out of it. It is not easy to scratch glass with a razor blade, but certainly possible, and I know the tools necessary to remove that scratch if I inflict it...

Some of today`s autoglass (and even some older stuff like my Jag`s Triplex) is incredibly soft/fragile...more plastic than glass IMO. I`ve marred glass with approaches that are far more gentle than a metal razor blade, so I`d be very, *VERY* careful when starting out. Not saying it`s a bad approach (and I use a razor blade on glass quite frequently myself), just saying you gotta tread lightly until you know it`s gonna go OK.

So If I have a film inside the car, or out, I would try to scrape a small area with a razor blade first to see if its removable.

Yep, and pick an area that won`t drive you nuts if you [mess] it up.

If you tried these things and it didn`t work, discuss with the shop, what is their "polish" they will be using? is it Cerium Oxide? Aluminum Oxide? Can they guarantee that there wouldn`t be noticeable distortion in the glass?

!!YES!! Don`t let anybody use some Mystery Product or undefined process. If some [individual] goes so far as to weaken the glass it could be seriously bad news waiting to happen.

Accumulator
11-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Hey, along these lines...

What`s the *cleanest*/easiest (yet effective) Glass Polish these days?

Like...if you had a Jet Black BMW that was perfectly finished, what would ya use with complete confidence that the job wouldn`t somehow mess up the clearcoat and require re-correction?

Ronkh
11-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Hey, along these lines...

What`s the *cleanest*/easiest (yet effective) Glass Polish these days?

Like...if you had a Jet Black BMW that was perfectly finished, what would ya use with complete confidence that the job wouldn`t somehow mess up the clearcoat and require re-correction?

BMW has the softest windshields known to man kind

Ronkh
11-10-2016, 11:40 AM
I gotta tackle this...........................

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/Mobile%20Uploads/20161110_102045_zpszninb8rl.jpg

JustJesus
11-10-2016, 12:06 PM
I gotta tackle this...........................

That`s cute Ron! :P That can serve as a stepping stone and then you can do mine! I should just get a new windscreen and call it a day. But then, I don`t trust those window installers to do the job right. It took 3 tries (or 4) to get my wife`s old Rav4 to not leak.