PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener (D 140)

dschribs
11-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Is anyone using this stuff?? I don`t see it mentioned much on here any more.

I`m thinking of switching over to the non-acid wheel cleaner (D 143). Wheel Brightener is just such nasty stuff.

What would I be losing out on (if anything) by switching over to D 143?

Keep in mind I`m not a pro detailer by any means. Just a "weekend warrior".

mobiledynamics
11-01-2016, 12:51 PM
I still use it. Once a year. Right after winter, when the snows come off.

Before they hibernate for the next season, my cleaning regimine is with WB.

Justins00ss
11-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Yeah I keep some handy. May not use it every time but it comes in handy.

The Guz
11-01-2016, 01:11 PM
If you coat your wheels you really don`t need to use a lot of wheel cleaner. I have about 1/4 left of D143 and a bottle of Griot`s heavy duty wheel cleaner that is about 1/2 full. I don`t recall the last time I reached for either product considering I have my wheels coated. Soap and water is all I need if I do a bucket wash. Mostly an ONR bath to keep them clean weekly. I will deep clean them once or twice a year with an iron remover/iron remover wheel cleaner.

D143 is nice as it`s a nice tire cleaner as well.

mobiledynamics
11-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Mid 60`s - more or less for you Guz ?

I guess it really depends driving conditions/environmental conditions.
My wheels are coated. I`m sure any wheel cleaner / pressure washer should get the wheels clean.
WB is just so painless for me though as a post winter regimine. It foams up nice....
Just spray, spread it around, let it dwell a minute. Blast it clean with pressure washer. Cleans up nicely with not alot of effort on scrubbing

dschribs
11-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Can I use D 143 to clean up wheel wells during my wash? If so, that would be great! Same product to clean tires, wheels and wheel wells!

Kean
11-01-2016, 03:27 PM
I`m the same as you (personal use/DIYer) and I have a gallon of the stuff that I just bought not that long ago in fact. I actually bought it for one particular application. ....the wheels on my `86 4Runner. I don`t think I will ever use it much in the future but its one of those things that may be useful again at some point.

....and yeah, it is nasty stuff so I make sure to use my respirator and my chemical-resistant gloves. Some may call it overkill but I don`t take any chances these days. I`m sure I haven`t done myself any favors from decades of exposure to other questionable products I have used. I don`t need to add to that

mobiledynamics
11-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Important : Don`t forget to flush out the sprayer. It destroys even the chemical resistent ones

Kean
11-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Important : Don`t forget to flush out the sprayer. It destroys even the chemical resistent ones Good point. I have been using misc empty sprayers I have on hand that are more or less disposable to me.

The Guz
11-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Mid 60`s - more or less for you Guz ?

I guess it really depends driving conditions/environmental conditions.
My wheels are coated. I`m sure any wheel cleaner / pressure washer should get the wheels clean.
WB is just so painless for me though as a post winter regimine. It foams up nice....
Just spray, spread it around, let it dwell a minute. Blast it clean with pressure washer. Cleans up nicely with not alot of effort on scrubbing

Yup and I wouldn`t give it up for anything else.

I drive my car daily and wash my coated wheels weekly without any wheel cleaners. ONR or Meguiar`s D114 works nicely on a weekly basis.