PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Werkstatt Prime and Acrylic Jett--Trigger for New Mercedes

RRnTexas
10-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Ten years ago I purchased a new Acura MDX. After a LOT of research on this forum, I clayed the new car, and treated it with Werkstat Prime and two layers of Acrylic Jett--Trigger. For ten years, I did nothing to maintain the finish other than keep just it clean. I washed it myself for the first four years. Since then, I have taken it to a car wash in Dallas that hand-washes. The finish after 10 years is remarkable! It still shines as if it is new! People are amazed that the car is 10 years old.

I am replacing the MDX with a new Mercedes-Benz GLS450 with Diamond White Metallic paint. I would like to seal the finish with a similar (if not even better) product than the Wekrstatt sealants I used on the MDX.

It appears the Jeff Werkstatt company is effectively out of business as most all the products on their website are out of stock.

Are there any product suggestions that would provide a beautiful, durable finish like I experienced with the Werkstatt stuff?

Thanks in advance!

RR

Lonnie
10-26-2016, 01:43 PM
New coatings have taken over what sealants used to do, IF you are looking for something that protects and has longevity. There are still some very good sealants out there, such as Menzerna (now Jescar) Power Lock Sealant, Blackfire Wet Diamond, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Optimum`s Opti-Seal, and Sonax Polymer Net Shield to name some of them.
If you go to any of the various on-line detail supply stores, you will find manufacturer`s like Optimum Polymer Technology, Gtechniq, 22ple, Polish Angel, and CarPro to name some of the better-known manufacturers/suppliers of coatings. They vary in price and application size, but needless to say, what you used to pay for a very high-end wax, it is now less-expensive to buy a quality coating that will last for 2 years (or more) and provide you with the paint protection that waxes and sealants cannot match. The downside is that your vehicle needs to be prepped properly and the application of coatings is not fool-proof as compared to a wax-on-wax-off method and there is a "learning curve" to the proper application techniques. That said, do not be intimidated by it. If you have applied and removed sealants, you can apply coatings. You may need to ask a fellow Autopian near your area for help OR watch a few on-line YouTube how-to videos.

I still like waxes just because they`ve been what I`ve used for so long and the gloss and reflectivity makes cars look, well, like show cars, if its done with the right wax. I do not mind waxing a vehicle twice a year, BUT that`s my choice. I think you will find that many Autopians who have daily drivers and those who do vehicles for other have migrated to coatings because of all the benefits of not having to polish and wax a car every six months or so, so while the initial cost of product and prep work may be more, you may only need to do so every 2 (or three) years which is where you recoup your investment cost.

As far as looks, reflectivity, and glossiness of coatings its hard to make an objective opinion from photos of vehicles posted in this forum. I will say this: in my eyes they look outstanding as any wax or sealant from the past; BUT most of them have put in some "significant" prep work to get them to that stage BEFORE the coating went on. Again , you may want to contact a fellow Autopian in your area who has put a coating on their vehicle and view it first-hand to make your own evaluation and judgment.

RRnTexas
10-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Lonnie,

Thanks for outstanding information and pointing me in the right direction!

I will research the sealants you outlined and check out some videos on how to prep the finish.

RR

BudgetPlan1
10-27-2016, 06:00 PM
FWIW, have used WG Uber Ceramic, McKees Paint Coating, Kamikaze Miyabi and Kamikaze ISM.

ISM was very slightly tricky to apply but 3 other were pretty much as easy to apply as a sealant. McKees very cost effective as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk