PDA

View Full Version : Bug/Bird marks on NEW car

IcyFridge
10-13-2016, 06:34 AM
Hey all. It`s been a while since I`ve been on here. I do have lots of detailing experience (non-professional) and I have a problem I just can`t get resolved.

I have a new 2016 Subaru Crosstrek with about 2,100 miles on it now. My problem is that I have a bug splatter and a bird dropping mark on my hood that I just cannot get off. I don`t have a clay bar and the weather is too cold right now to do a polish/wax combination.

I already have 1 layer of NuFinish and 2 layers of Collinite`s 845 on the car in preparation for the winter. The bug mark is clear, but won`t come out. The bird dropping was wiped off within 2 hours of discovering it on my car, and the outline is stuck in the paint.

Any quick DIY tips to get this stuff off? In the right light, it is VERY visible and annoying.

zmcgovern45
10-13-2016, 07:08 AM
Sounds like etching on both accounts.

Bird bombs and bug guts are typically quite acidic and can begin to eat through paint in no time. If you`ve exhausted all non-abrasive options (general cleaning and chemical solvents) with no results, you will need to use an abrasive (polish, compound, or even wet sanding) to remove the defects.

In the worse case scenarios, these etchings can eat through the clear coat leaving you with no other option but to repaint the panel.

Some photos may be beneficial to help us diagnose your issue.

IcyFridge
10-13-2016, 07:14 AM

Bird bombs and bug guts are typically quite acidic and can begin to eat through paint in no time. If you`ve exhausted all non-abrasive options (general cleaning and chemical solvents) with no results, you will need to use an abrasive (polish, compound, or even wet sanding) to remove the defects.

In the worse case scenarios, these etchings can eat through the clear coat leaving you with no other option but to repaint the panel.

I doubt it would be etched so quickly. The car is brand new and I discovered the spots within a day of it happening. I plan to hit it with some WD-40 if it`s not raining during lunch break as I heard it works well for those types of things.

No pictures due to rain, but it looks like a clear splatter only at specific angles/light. And fortunately these happened after I waxed the car, so I`m hoping it is not etched. I do plan on polishing the car in the spring, but just want to see if I can get the stuff off. If it is not repairable, then the dealer may just cover it under warranty hopefully.

Ronkh
10-13-2016, 07:45 AM

This ^^^^

ShaneB
10-13-2016, 08:45 AM
I doubt that kind of damage is covered under warranty as a warranty only covers a manufacturer defect. Probably going to have to polish at a minimum. Since you caught it so quick I don`t think it would be too severe.

I agree pics would help

zmcgovern45
10-13-2016, 09:19 AM
I doubt it would be etched so quickly. The car is brand new and I discovered the spots within a day of it happening. I plan to hit it with some WD-40 if it`s not raining during lunch break as I heard it works well for those types of things.

I`ve seen etching occur in a matter of hours. Thankfully in your case I doubt it is too severe since you removed it quickly, but again, if you have exhausted all cleaning/solvent options and it has not removed the defect, then it is a pretty safe bet that the defect is not an above surface bonded contaminant, but rather a below surface etching.

RaskyR1
10-13-2016, 10:46 AM
If they`ve etched, which can happen quickly, they will require polishing and/or sanding to remove. As long as it`s cleaned off the surface I would give it a week or so and see if they disappear on their own.

Accumulator
10-13-2016, 02:21 PM
IcyFridge- Welcome to Autopia!

Sorry to hear about the (presumed) etching, which can sometimes happen in a matter of *minutes* though it usually takes at least a few hours.

If you inspect it with magnification (I prefer ~15X but some like much higher) I`m pretty sure you`ll see that it has indeed etched the clearcoat.

Unfortunately, I`d be astounded if the Dealer/Subaru covers that as it`d probably be some "environmental/owner`s responsibility" type thing, but you can see. DO NOT let them try to fix it!! If anybody has to abrade the paint I wouldn`t want it to be them.

The WD40 won`t neutralize the acids that have not penetrated the clearcoat. I`d want to take care of that to prevent further damage.

This is the sort of thing that prompted me to switch from Collinite (which I`d used for decades) to FK1000P. While !YMMV! always applies, I haven`t bothered cleaning bugs/birdbombs off anthing wearing FK1000P and I`ve yet to experience any etching. I left some such stuff on the Crown Vic for many months with no etching at all, never would`ve worked out that way with any other LSP I`ve used with the possible exception of *heavily* layered Klasse Sealant Glaze.

Kean
10-13-2016, 03:11 PM
I doubt it would be etched so quickly. The car is brand new and I discovered the spots within a day of it happening.

I experienced damage from a bird bomb on the rear bumper of my `03 WRX within an hour while I had lunch. ....and the paint on that car was always well cared for. It ate right past whatever I was using as an LSP at the time. Luckily the damage was limited to just a dulling of the finish although I don`t doubt it would have progressed further if I had not addressed it as quickly as I did.

My eyes are not so good these days (looking at things up close). As Accumulator mentioned, a magnifying glass/small microscope can really help get an idea of what you`re dealing with in these scenarios. I picked up the following device 3-4 years ago which I have used for various things over the years. The quality is relatively cheap but then again, it`s CHEAP:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OVHVVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It`s 30x magnification and has a light. ....works well enough for my amateur needs.

Accumulator
10-13-2016, 03:16 PM
Kean- Heh heh, not at all surprised that you too like the 30x..funny how people differ on that. You`re absolutely right about not needing Lab-Quality optics for this sort of thing, and I generally consider myself pretty discerning in that regard, tending to go overboard about the whole "buy the best" thing.

There are just *so* many occasions where magnification is helpful..

Bill D
10-13-2016, 03:32 PM
That magnifier looks just like the one automotive international sells/ recommends. Mine works great

Kean
10-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Kean- Heh heh, not at all surprised that you too like the 30x..funny how people differ on that. You`re absolutely right about not needing Lab-Quality optics for this sort of thing, and I generally consider myself pretty discerning in that regard, tending to go overboard about the whole "buy the best" thing.

There are just *so* many occasions where magnification is helpful..

Yeah, don`t get me wrong. I probably would find 15x more suitable for such things and likely more comfortable. 30x gets you really close. ....maybe even a little too close.

I think I chose that particular device based on Ron Ketcham`s advice years ago (30x with light).

Kean
10-13-2016, 03:41 PM
That magnifier looks just like the one automotive international sells/ recommends. Mine works great

That must be it then (the connection between AI and Ron). My memory is not so great but I remember something Ron had posted turned me on to it.

The optics are not great quality but I was not disappointed considering how cheap it was. ....and it works just fine. I`ve used it for several different tasks over the years. I just keep it in the top drawer of my tool chest.

Bill D
10-13-2016, 03:55 PM
Yes it was Ron who recommended that magnifier.

Accumulator
10-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Yeah, Ron got me to buy the 30x from AutoInt too...just too high a magnification level for me to use on metallics.