PDA

View Full Version : Metrovac Vac N Blo or Shop Vac

kestrel452
10-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Hey all,

Was wondering what those of you who had Metro Vac N Blo`s think of them compared to 6.5 hp Shop Vac`s. The Metro`s are 4 hp and $250, while the Shop Vac`s are 6.5 hp and $150.

I know that a higher horsepower doesn`t always equate to better suction, but I`m curious what you guys who`ve used both have to say. I`m already pretty keen on the Master Blaster Revolution for drying, but I still need a vacuum.

I *think* I have it narrowed down to these two....

https://www.shopvac.com/product/shop-vac-contractor-series-wet-dry-vac-catnum:5873410

https://www.metrovacworld.com/product/Vac_N_Blo_Classic_VNB_94BD/overview

The Metro has a higher pressure rating (60" vs 95"), but the Shop Vac has a higher stated CFM and motor horsepower. While Metro doesn`t state CFM on their website, other sites selling the Vac N Blo have it rated at 130-135 CFM.

Any input is welcome :cool:

Stokdgs
10-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Hello, Friend !
I have had both and ditched the Shop Vac/s well over 10 years ago for the longest metal Metro Vac that has a removeable and replaceable long, long, cloth bag inside it..

I found the smaller, more flexible, way longer hose of the MetroVac was way easier to maneuver and use anyplace inside even the most complicated hard to clean Interiors such as any MiniCooper..

The Metrovac has a 3-stage motor that will really vacuum any type of those nasty-hold-on-to-everything-interior carpets like those in some Toyota vehicles...

The Metrovac has a way smaller footprint and mine being even really long is still really easy to work with on the floor, compared to those top heavy easy to tip over shop vac machines...

Yes, the Metrovac may cost more but for me I wanted the best, had a zillion easy to use and purchase attachments, could work way easier inside any Interior, and absolutely removed about anything ever found inside a vehicle...

I liked it so much that when the Master Blaster was invented years ago and went on sale, I bit the bullet and purchased one of those as well.. Yes, another winner for Metrovac... Drying quickly and the most efficiently, has never been easier...

Good luck with your research !
Dan F

rlmccarty2000
10-09-2016, 05:37 AM
Buy the best you can afford and you won`t regret the purchase down the road. I live by this motto.

ShaneB
10-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Personally I found the low cfm of the metro to be a big down side. It also can`t be used for anything wet. Another downfall. I haven`t used my vac n blo portable in over a year.

You`re right about not looking at the HP numbers. They don`t tell much (altho that`s how some market them). I`ve had a couple shop vacs and the vac n blo portable, but my most recent and last one I`ll buy is the DP (now McKees 37) shop vac found here on autopia. It`s a beast of a vacuum. 90 inches of lift, more than the metro, and I forget the cfm but it`s up there with the shop vacs. IMO is really is the best of both. Still a small manageable size too. Long hose that`s 1.5" so not too bulky for car interior`s (2.5" hoses are too big for cars IMO). And can be used wet or dry.

Having used and owned both a metro vac and a shop vac, I can say the McKees shop vac is the best of the 3. I`d look into it if you`re thinking about spending the money on a metro

ShawnF350
10-09-2016, 09:28 AM
I own the Rigid 4 gallon vac from Home Depot. ($80)
I bought the optional Rigid car kit. $40 (Incl. 1.25" hose)
Also added the optional muffler to quiet it a bit. $13
You can also add a canister bag to keep the insides clean which I use.

I used to own a Craftsman 8 gallon with a 2.5" hose. Definitely too large diam for a hose , but 25+ years ago, that`s what the coin op places use so i went for that.
The exhaust air blew straight down which was why i left it behind when i moved. Try vacuuming you`re garage floor as it blew air onto it working against you.
It be nice to see a head to head vacuum shootout if someone had multiple vacs to compare.

kestrel452
10-09-2016, 11:40 PM
Hello, Friend !
I have had both and ditched the Shop Vac/s well over 10 years ago for the longest metal Metro Vac that has a removeable and replaceable long, long, cloth bag inside it..

I found the smaller, more flexible, way longer hose of the MetroVac was way easier to maneuver and use anyplace inside even the most complicated hard to clean Interiors such as any MiniCooper..

The Metrovac has a 3-stage motor that will really vacuum any type of those nasty-hold-on-to-everything-interior carpets like those in some Toyota vehicles...

The Metrovac has a way smaller footprint and mine being even really long is still really easy to work with on the floor, compared to those top heavy easy to tip over shop vac machines...

Yes, the Metrovac may cost more but for me I wanted the best, had a zillion easy to use and purchase attachments, could work way easier inside any Interior, and absolutely removed about anything ever found inside a vehicle...

I liked it so much that when the Master Blaster was invented years ago and went on sale, I bit the bullet and purchased one of those as well.. Yes, another winner for Metrovac... Drying quickly and the most efficiently, has never been easier...

Good luck with your research !
Dan F

Thanks for the reply :cool:

I think you mean "two stage" motor? Either way, you make a good point. The Shop Vac I linked is rated at a higher horsepower than the Vac N Blo, but what`s interesting is that the two-stage vacuums out there are generally much lower in HP ratings. Even Shop Vac`s industrial lines don`t generally go higher than 2.5 HP on the two-stage models, which leads me to think that a 4 HP one might very well be worth what Metro is charging. Heck, Shop Vac is charging far more for their couple 3 HP two-stage machines than Metro is for their 4 HP Vac N Blo`s. This leads me to believe a two-stage machine, especially one like the Metro, could be the best suited for automotive cleaning. I`ve never personally needed the "wet" pickup function of a wetdry vac when cleaning a car, anyway.

This is all just conjecture...my hypothesis could be completely off base. I`ll share an excerpt from Shop Vac`s brochure that talks about the difference in design, so I can at the very least share some knowledge.