PDA

View Full Version : Orbital question

dontlikemyname
10-03-2016, 01:43 PM
So I`m an at home car enthusiast who wants to keep my Camaro 2SSRS looking great. I`m about to pull the trigger on a Torq10FX kit for only $159.00 (from Chemical Guys).
I won`t be doing any side jobs except maybe other cars in the family.
I seen my local Harbor Freight add for an orbital for $49.00http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161003/2e2ba3dbfab49491c4097f360bc8030d.jpg.
So just to make sure I`m not being stupid because I want a brand....is there any reason I should go with the HF $49 instead of the Torqx $150? Does anyone have a review of the HF? I couldn`t find one in the search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrock645
10-03-2016, 01:45 PM
I wouldn`t get the Torq10... Haven`t seen anyone very happy with it.

Ronkh
10-03-2016, 01:55 PM
ck out polisher kits on autopia.

ShakingHorizons
10-03-2016, 01:56 PM
I suggest the GG6 - you can get Autopia to price match if you find it cheaper.

ViperGuy21
10-03-2016, 02:05 PM
+100 on the GG6"!!

Angus
10-03-2016, 02:08 PM
I wouldn`t get either of those. Instead, pick up a Griots Garage 6" and a selection of pads. The GG is a very starter friendly polisher w/ a lifetime warranty.

This is a pretty good starter kit:

Griot (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/griots-garage-polisher-pad-kit.html#.V_KqKCQW79k)

The above kit comes with a 5` backing plate and two 5.5 and 6.5 correcting/ finishing pads - but I`d call Vega at Autopia and ask him extra nice to swap out the 6.5 pads for all 5.5. Why? Because 5.5 pads are easier to control and offer better performance vs the larger 6.5 pads on an GG polisher.

I`d also suggest picking up some HD SPEED - awesome product, dead easy to use, with amazing results.

Have fun!

Raymoche
10-03-2016, 02:12 PM
I had great experience with many chicago pneumatic tools, none of them were plugged in tho.... :P

I agree with the rest, go for the PC or GG6 to start, also ask ACC reps to see if they have any more open box deals! Act fast!

Swanicyouth
10-03-2016, 04:28 PM
I dunno dudes. I have a GG6 and it`s great and all - but this HF machine does seem to be the real deal. For $50 - I don`t think you can go wrong.

Of course you will need to likely place an order from somewhere for pads, a good BP, and some buffing liquids.

I guess it depends on the OPs financials - but, in reality, there prolly isn`t anything the GG 6 can do the HF can not.

dontlikemyname
10-03-2016, 04:41 PM
I dunno dudes. I have a GG6 and it`s great and all - but this HF machine does seem to be the real deal. For $50 - I don`t think you can go wrong.

Of course you will need to likely place an order from somewhere for pads, a good BP, and some buffing liquids.

I guess it depends on the OPs financials - but, in reality, there prolly isn`t anything the GG 6 can do the HF can not.

Finances aren`t an issue, I was just wondering if I actually needed to spend the loot on the name brands. And as for pads go I can purchase them locally from HF as well in a 3 pack for $3.99http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161003/2f61e624dc271c57abe8b68b995de63c.jpg

Mr. Slick
10-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Well I used those. Probably need a 5 in backing plate. The fuzzy sticky circle thing isn`t big enough and the pads self destruct and put fuzz all over the car

Sent from my iPotato using Tapatalk

JustJesus
10-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Finances aren`t an issue, I was just wondering if I actually needed to spend the loot on the name brands. And as for pads go I can purchase them locally from HF as well in a 3 pack for $3.99

I don`t think you "need" to spend the loot for name brand. There`s enough people out there using the Harbor Freight unit and like it. And you`re not using it in a pro-shop environment, so it won`t be used often. <shrug> With the money saved, you can put that towards quality pads and polishes.

briarpatch
10-04-2016, 08:49 AM
You will not regret the purchase of a GG6.....excellent deals on kits...check them out here or on Autogeek

dontlikemyname
10-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Thanks all for your help, I definitely received more welcomes and feedback from this forum than from one of the others I have posted in.

Accumulator
10-04-2016, 11:47 AM
dontlikemyname- I`ve never used the HF orbital, but some people here have said that it`s an OK unit, at least for light work.

BUT...even if you never do anybody else`s vehicle, something that`s "OK for light work" could be insufficiently powerful for *your* needs.

I have the GG6 and would recommend it. I only do my vehicles and I hardly *EVER* do correction, BUT when I do perform correction, I find the GG6 to be "minimally acceptable" and I often reach for something else to do any serious correction that`s necessary. Sure the GG6 can do the work, but it`s a matter of being time/effort-efficient about it.

If the budget allows, I`d get the GG Boss15 or a Rupes. If those`re too pricey (DO NOT write them off for being "too powerful" or "more than I need") then I`d get the GG6. I`m in favor of buying something that`s known to be of high quality and that plenty of people have found to be acceptable, and I`m absolutely in favor of "buying enough machine". People who haven`t done much correction usually underestimate how tough/time-consuming it is, and having a polisher that`s "merely adequate" is IMO a Rx for frustration and wasted time.

JustJesus
10-04-2016, 11:54 AM

If the budget allows, I`d get the GG Boss15 or a Rupes. If those`re too pricey (DO NOT write them off for being "too powerful" or "more than I need") then I`d get the GG6. I`m in favor of buying something that`s known to be of high quality and that plenty of people have found to be acceptable, and I`m absolutely in favor of "buying enough machine". People who haven`t done much correction usually underestimate how tough/time-consuming it is, and having a polisher that`s "merely adequate" is IMO a Rx for frustration and wasted time.

Well said, sir.