PDA

View Full Version : New to the detailing, need advice/guidance!

JeepXJGuy
10-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Hey all,

First off, I want to state that I`m pretty much new to detailing. Other than a few weeks of lurking on the forums, I have an understanding of the basic consumer grade products. What I`m looking to learn is some of the more advanced professional products like glazes, sealants, and obviously professional level products as an upgrade to the consumer grade compounds, polishes, waxes etc...

The basis for the use of these products is a black 1998 Jeep Cherokee. The Jeep has the typical 18 year old Jeep issues. The clear coat on the roof is starting to oxidize, there are microcracks in the hood, roof, and the upper portion of the doors by the handles. There are some scratches beyond the scope of detailing that would need body work to correct. Short of a full repaint, I`m going to have to live with these issues. However, I would like to minimize their appearance as much as possible.

As anyone who has worked on black vehicles with these issues knows, the cracks and scratches suck up any product you put on them which makes them bright white and as such, stand out against the black paint. I saw a write up where a guy rubbed them down and saturated them thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol and then hit them with a power washer to get the old product out and leave behind a surface that allows one to easily mask the imperfections. The issue with this method is that I don`t have a power washer.

That all being said, I`m looking for some guidance. I know I will need tools. I have purchased a Dewalt DWP849X rotary and a wool pad to do some of the serious correction. I had no experience with a rotary, but I kept it between 600 and 1000 using Meguiars Ultimate Compound and got decent results on the panels I tested it on. I know this is going to leave holograms so I am going to get a DA in the near future, either a Griots 21 or a Rupes 21. Leaning towards the Griot because of the warranty and because the "consumables" are cheaper. I also looked at the Flex 3401 but since I already have the rotary I don`t know if I necessarily need the forced rotation of the Flex as I have heard that it won`t finish out as well as a true free float DA.

Next is the products. As I stated, I have the consumer Megs compound, I also have the polish. I picked up the Megs show glaze and Liquid Glass as well, but I think I may return these. When I purchased them I didn`t know that you couldn`t use sealants over certain glazes but logically it makes sense due to different formulations of the different products.

So my goals are this:

1. Get a DA and a dozen assorted Lake Country CCS pads.

2. Find a polish designed for black vehicles if possible to avoid filling the cracks and scratches in white.

3. Find a glaze for black vehicles, something like Poorboy`s Black Hole, or something similar. Needs to be able to have a sealant used over it.

4. Find a sealant that will work with my chosen glaze. In this case, if I used the PB`s Black Hole I would probably grab their EX-P Pure Sealant. Otherwise, any suggestions for a sealant would be great.

5. A dark vehicle wax. Keeping with the PB line of products, I was thinking the Natty Black Paste.

I`d really like to use the black tinted products because of the aforementioned cracks and scratches.

Any help, suggestions, and guidance is much appreciated! Thanks!

Ronkh
10-03-2016, 12:23 PM
pictures would make it a lot easier to guide you.

jrock645
10-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Can you post some pics of the paint condition? That will be very helpful.

Im not an expert, just an enthusiast, but with a vehicle in the condition you described- oxidation, cracks and potential cc failure- I would be very weary of aggressive compounding to that paint. Also, do NOT put straight alcohol onto that paint, it will utterly destroy it.

This sounds like a bit more of a restoration job than a typical detailing issue, so I can`t give anymore advice beyond what I said. Post pics so the pros can help.

JustJesus
10-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Welcome....

I`m guessing you`re not taking your XJ off road much? I picked up a `96 XJ about a year ago, and plan on making it look more presentable. But, I won`t get crazy with the paint correction, as I plan on beating the heck out of it on the trails. :)

Good luck with the project.

JeepXJGuy
10-03-2016, 08:12 PM
Pictures incoming, I don`t have any right now but I can snap some tomorrow. Again, I don`t plan on fixing the cracks, I just want to mask them pretty much.

And no, this XJ isn`t going to be a wheeler. I have 3 XJs and this one will be a street queen.

JeepXJGuy
10-04-2016, 12:26 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32008&stc=1http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32009&stc=1http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32010&stc=1http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32011&stc=1http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32012&stc=1As promised, here are the pictures. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!