PDA

View Full Version : Prep for Winter

garbledwords
09-30-2016, 07:13 AM
It`s about that time again. I start off in the spring with a full detail which includes a light polish, AFPP, and then spray wax (Blackfire), which I continue during the summer. To prep for winter I want to do AFPP again. My question is what is the best, easiest, way of removing the wax?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Raymoche
09-30-2016, 08:28 AM
Excuse my ignorance, what is AFPP?

I`d polish it off, but again I don`t know what AFPP is....

EXPDetailing
09-30-2016, 08:30 AM
Since you like BlackFire, BlackFire`s Total Polish & Seal is the perfect application for you. It has fine abrasives, it`s low on the cutting scale, and leaves some protection behind that is compatible with what you are already using.

AFPP, All Finish Paint Protection, by BlackFire.

Accumulator
09-30-2016, 12:23 PM
I`m astounded that somebody considers BF AFFPP to be suitable for winter use. Not even *close* to sufficiently durable for me, nor did it offer decent protection. I can sure understand somebody (else ;) ) liking it for its looks in a light-duty application, but for winter?!?

EDIT: Eh, that sure sounds harsh now that I reread it, but I`d still want something much more durable/protective.

Striker
10-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Mine will be:

A second coat of 845 (just to ensure coverage)

Both front and rear wheel liners are getting pulled and then put back in after the inner fenders have been sprayed with LPS rust inhibitor.

Wheels are coming off then putting some anti seize on the hubs.

Another coat of 3m scotchgard

Jack up the car with and throw some more LPS 3 rust protection.

Ps I love this stuff and I live in Canada where the climate isn`t the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accumulator
10-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Striker- That LPS 3 looks similar to the Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector I use for such stuff, though I really only use it on threads and stuff like the hardware for under-vehicle spares.

Striker
10-01-2016, 02:29 PM
It`s very similar to the expensive cosmoline used in the military for long term storage of guns, vehicle parts and ammunition.

Cosmoline was used in ww2 on coastal combat guns that were battered by salt water and air.

Accumulator
10-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Striker- Heh heh, I`m well-acquainted with (genuine/mil-spec) cosmoline :D Still have [stuff] packed in that and the old yellow/orange OilPaper. Still have a few Surplus cans of it even, little ones made for repacking [stuff] post-inspection/pre-storage.

Heh heh#2, one of my pet peeves is when people call [other products] "cosmoline", so I`m glad you said "very similar to"!

I suspect that approach would be too messy for me on most surfaces though, will it come off on a cloth/MF/brush when you clean those areas? I`d worried about that with the Amsoil HDMP, but it doesn`t transfer as long as I let it set up for a while and use the right products/approach when cleaning it.

Striker
10-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Nice. I`d love to get some cosmoline like you have.

My intention isn`t how well it would clean off, as a matter of fact, I`d prefer it never comes off lol. I did the underneath of my trans am with this and the car doesn`t see rain. Nothing is forever, but why not preserve it is my thoughts. I typically coat the undercarriage and little inconspicuous spots in the engine bay that tend to rust out fast in this Canadian climate in no time.

My mustang is coated with a product called rust check. Unfortunately this stuff is everyone. But on the flip side it preserved it. It`s like unwrapping a grease present every time I make a little progress. Slow because I did all the work manually but now I thinks heat gun and a pressure washer will be my friends. Here`s a quick before and after:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161003/5b9a3f4de8b43a997d2c9bf5a157b57f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161003/b1a78b24b618ed070ce66b5317b220a5.jpg

Accumulator
10-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Striker- I was probably a bit unclear..I don`t want stuff to "come off" either! Not on my wash media, that`s for sure!

But yeah, I generally want a much "cleaner", or at least a "drier", approach to this stuff than most people.

Eh, need to do the Tahoe one of these years, whole frame is pretty much surface-rusted (though it`s not getting any worse). Don`t need to do the Audis and never drive the Crown Vic in the salt.