PDA

View Full Version : How long does clay last in a hot garage?

detail317
09-25-2016, 06:42 PM
Hi, everybody. I just noticed an unopened bar of Mother`s clay that`s been sitting in my hot Texas garage for over five years. It seems a little soft. Do you think it`s alright? Any information is appreciated.

Old Pirate
09-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Give it a shot. You never know till you try it, just take it easy when using it with alot of lube or ONR.

Stokdgs
09-25-2016, 06:52 PM
If its never been opened, it`s still good if it acts normal when you take it out..
Clay should be a little soft anyway so it can be kneaded into the shape you need to use it..
I think you are good - just use a good clay lube or something when you use it on the vehicle..
Dan F

Raymoche
09-25-2016, 07:10 PM
if its the yellow clay, its a very soft clay, compared to meguiars and WG clay.... going off memory, I havent used mothers clay in a very very long time.

detail317
09-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Thanks, everybody!

GearHead_1
09-25-2016, 09:09 PM
I don`t know how hot, "HOT" is but my garage ranges from 50 degrees in the winter to perhaps 85 degrees in the summer. I`ve got clays that have been in their longer than 5 years and are still just fine, including some Mothers. Used some of it a couple of weeks back just to use it up. It might have been a wee bit sticky but as I remember, it is right off the shelf. I also have some Griot`s and some Poorboy`s that have been there that long also, they worked perfectly. I believe that clay in general, assuming you can keep the air from it, has a great shelf life.

WaxAddict
09-26-2016, 07:49 AM
GearHead, 85 is warm, not hot. :cool:

OP, Mothers clay, in particular, is very sticky. So much so that I have left yellow stains on paint after using it. The heat and humidity compound this issue. If you buy clay at a store, the Meg`s is a lot better. In fact, I like the Meg`s better than Griots (also at some stores).

GearHead_1
09-26-2016, 10:19 AM
GearHead, 85 is warm, not hot. :cool:Anything over 74 is A/C weather. Don`t like the heat. ;)

Accumulator
09-26-2016, 01:07 PM
I`ve never had clay go bad, even when stored in a shop that got so hot that the overhead door motors regularly quit working (90s were "nice and cool" in that shop during the summer). Yeah, the clay could get problematic, but it wasn`t "bad" and its problems went away once it cooled down again. I still have some clay that was stored in that shop and it`s OK ~16 years later.