PDA

View Full Version : Rubber seals & interior plastic protectants

Pages : [1] 2

Striker
09-16-2016, 11:16 PM
Your experiences for products that *protect* against the sun and all other elements for rubber seals (weather strips) and general dash, door panels etc. I`m all about preservation over just the looks of things on a plastic piece if this helps?

I`ve got 303 in the shop but I`m wondering....is there something better! I have a car equipped with t tops and let me tell ya- the car has a lot of rubber strips/seals and GM no longer produces new ones.

Any first hand advice would be awesome guys. Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stokdgs
09-16-2016, 11:38 PM
I have had very good results from the original BMW Gummi Pflege Stift in a tube, but I dont think they make it any longer.

This product from Einszett is also very good on rubber seals... Keep your door, trunk, hood and window seals from prematurely cracking and aging with Gummi Pflege Stick! (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/1z-914805.html#.V9zIGPkrK00)

This is a liquid with a small round sponge top applicator, so you just get the sponge top wet and rub clean seals all over, let them dry, you are good to go...

Have treated a few dozen miles of German Car rubber seals with this product - you absolutely want this in cold climates where the seals might get iced stuck to the metal door...

I use it on all rubber door seals and have never had any issues over a decade + ...
Dan F

dcjredline
09-16-2016, 11:41 PM
Ive started this year using Meguiar`s #40 on my T-top seals. Although GM and plenty of others make replacements for my Formula. I dont know if it has the SPF that 303 does but it sure makes them look GREAT.

Striker
09-17-2016, 08:42 AM
Thanks for your replies fellas. I think we have the same car dcj!

What about the seals and rubber trim that sits outside? Same product as the weather strips I would presume

Ronkh
09-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Gummi Pflege As Dan said. In a pinch something like poorboys natural look, or 303 etc work.

grungy
09-17-2016, 09:22 AM
+1 for Gummi Pflege as it has helped keep the miles of seals on our SUV flexible and looking good. Never had any good luck on cleaning the exterior rubber seals on my Sable moon roof but it was close to 14 years old when I sent it to the metal scrap yard (it was past time to retire it)

PA DETAILER
09-17-2016, 09:46 AM
+1 for Gummi Pflege as it has helped keep the miles of seals on our SUV flexible and looking good. Never had any good luck on cleaning the exterior rubber seals on my Sable moon roof but it was close to 14 years old when I sent it to the metal scrap yard (it was past time to retire it)

:exactly:

Accumulator
09-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Wonder who makes the Gummi Pflege for BMW..

For those who like to spend $ and split hairs, I still prefer the Wurth version over the 1Z. Can`t say I`ve ever heard of anybody else who uses the former though...Wurth also sells it in an aerosol version and IMO a can will last for ages no matter how often you use it.

For exterior seals, I get `em all nicely prepped (usually with Griot`s Rubber Prep), seal with Ultima Tire & Trim Guard +, then maintain with ValuGard FastFinish or some Spray Wax. I simply *NEVER* treat such surfaces with the "slime approach" (as I call it ;) ) even though the Wurth stuff is awfully "clean" as such products go and I can`t recall it ever running/etc. for me.

Striker
09-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Any special instructions on prep guys? I`ve heard iso is a good candidate for prep

Accumulator
09-17-2016, 01:07 PM
Striker- While IPA has some use in stripping off "dead"/oxidized rubber (and it`s nice and cheap), I do the vast majority of my rubber/plastic prep (like...90-some %) with Griot`s Rubber Prep. IME it`s one of those products that every detailer oughta have on the shelf.

Stokdgs
09-17-2016, 02:48 PM
I like Einszett Deep Plastic Cleaner for preparing any of these areas.. They dont sell it here any longer so here it is -- Nextzett Plastik Reiniger Plastic Deep Cleaner - 500 ml | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Einszett-1Z-M46/Plastic-Deep-Cleaner-Plastik-Reiniger-P472/500-ml-S1/)

Einszett also makes a great rubber/vinyl conditioner for the outside..

PoorBoys also makes a great rubber/vinyl conditioner for the outside..
Dan F

Accumulator
09-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Does the 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner (which everyone loves!) require rinsing?

Does the 1Z conditioner ever run in the rain?

rlmccarty2000
09-18-2016, 01:07 PM
Does the 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner (which everyone loves!) require rinsing?

Does the 1Z conditioner ever run in the rain?

I do a wipe down with a microfiber and water after the Deep Plastic Cleaner and then follow with 303 Protectant. Haven`t tried the 1Z Conditioner.

Accumulator
09-18-2016, 01:29 PM
I do a wipe down with a microfiber and water after the Deep Plastic Cleaner..

Ah, that`s what I figured. Though it might not matter to others, one thing I like about the Rubber Prep is that it doesn`t need rinsed, only wiped off.

ellens2
09-18-2016, 04:06 PM
I like Einszett Deep Plastic Cleaner for preparing any of these areas.. They dont sell it here any longer so here it is -- Nextzett Plastik Reiniger Plastic Deep Cleaner - 500 ml | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Einszett-1Z-M46/Plastic-Deep-Cleaner-Plastik-Reiniger-P472/500-ml-S1/)

Einszett also makes a great rubber/vinyl conditioner for the outside..

PoorBoys also makes a great rubber/vinyl conditioner for the outside..
Dan F
They carry it on AG under their new name Nextzett, Nextzett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger NEW LOOK! (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-plastic-cleaner.html)