PDA

View Full Version : What I Do To Prep For Winter

Civicclutch
09-15-2016, 10:01 PM
So i generally don`t do a lot of stuff to my plastic car, but on my wife`s G6 i do. I start with a thorough wash and then a gentle polish after a decon and clay. i then use a longer lasting sealant like menzerna color lock or klasse high gloss sealant with a minimum of 2 coats of what i use. That is for the paint protection, and ease of wash on warmer days in the winter. on the interior cause i don`t have weathertech mats for the car i used a scotch guard protectant until this year in which i`m gonna try the 303 fabric protectant.

Then in engine area i make sure washer fluid is filled with rainx anti freeze washer fluid, coolant has proper anti freeze coolant, and all fluids are full (my oil gets checked every 1-2 weeks as its burning some somehow).

The tires have proper air pressure and same amount all the way around, including the spare as well. check to make sure tread isn`t to worn out.

Small emergency tote with dry clothes, blankets, some non perishable, high calorie food like granola bars and such, and another bag with jumper cables and other road side emergency supplies.

tom p.
09-16-2016, 06:12 AM
Civic, that`s a good list. A couple things I`d add, time permitting:

brake fluid flush (if not done in the spring time)
treat all rubber gaskets
aggressively clean/treat windshield
install new wipers (as needed)
polish/coat headlights and tail lights (as needed), check all exterior bulbs
verify battery is strong
install snow tires

Accumulator
09-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Honestly, the only things I do differently for winter are:

-Install the winter wheels/tires (yeah, on AWD/4WD)
-Put the bhb snowbrush in the car (only used on windows, *NEVER* allowed to touch paint/etc.)

I don`t even change the floormats any more, and Ohio winters are brutal.