PDA

View Full Version : New Member, Noob "Detailer", and Some Questions...

Pages : [1] 2 3

kestrel452
09-13-2016, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. :)

I`ve been reading threads here, on other forums, and watching YouTube demonstrations on how to property detail cars. Needless to say, it`s been eye opening, as I`ve done pretty much everything wrong since I was a child.

The only towels I`ve ever used on a car were old terry towels... The one saving grace to it all is I`m replacing my 14 year old vehicle that`s rusting at the door bottoms with a 2014 Buick Enclave that has under 25,000 miles in the short term. Now is my chance to start doing things correctly, lol. I know I will be having Xpel Ultimate applied to at least the front fenders, hood, A-pillars, and rear bumper. Whether I do the doors, who knows...

The glitz and glamor of spending all day detailing a car to keep it looking perfect was too much for me to resist Chemical Guys marketing. I`ve bought pretty much every microfiber towel I`ll ever need, though I`ve tried to refrain from ordering actual cleaning chemicals until I ascertain what`s at least "very good" to "excellent".

1. I did order Chemical Guys` leather cleaner, conditioner, and serum. I`ve read great things about the cleaner and serum. The jury *might* be out on the conditioner, has anyone used it? I`ve also read that the conditioner is useless on newer leather and you should just skip to the serum...is this true? What exactly is in the serum besides UV blockers?? I absolutely *hate* cracking, fading, and wrinkles in leather, I want to stay on top of protecting and conditioning the leather at least twice per year. The faded leather in my father`s `06 King Ranch is a saddening sight.

2. I also ordered some tire and trim care dressings. If it`s another thing I hate, it`s faded or cracked seals/stripping/trim. CG VRP for the tires, Silk Shine spray for the seals and trim, and Black on Black for the engine bay (is the BoB great for anything else?). I`m fine re-dressing the trim and seals every 1-2 months.

3. CG All Clean+ as a tire and engine bay cleaner? Yay or nay?

4. I need a quick speal on rim/wheel cleaners. I am contemplating ordering Diablo gel, however I`ve heard it falls in between what`s considered a strong wheel cleaner and regular car soap. I`d like to keep my wheels sealed with Rejex or CG Wheel Guard. I don`t know if Diablo or similar "medium strength" wheel cleaners would strip it right off every time. I wouldn`t really let my wheels go without cleaning for over 2-3 weeks. I`m lost as as to what products I should plan on ordering for the wheels.

5. Poorboy`s Black Hole glaze -> CG JetSeal -> Collinite 845 -> ??? (What are your thoughts on this trio? Is there any wax I can top the 845 with to give a wetter look that won`t come off in just two week`s time??)

6. Meg`s Gold Class wash for the outside, CG InnerClean (already ordered it) for the inside?

Thank you in advance to anyone that offers their guidance. I really want to order the right stuff the first time, and just have one or two "go-to`s" for each task. If any of the items I already ordered are far outclassed by a similarly prices substitute, guess I`ll just order the better stuff and return or gift the existing product... :cool:

RaysWay
09-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Welcome aboard! If you really want to maintain that leather, I`d hit it with a cleaner and conditioner more frequently than twice a year. There are a lot of myth`s regarding leather or vinyl, but all interior of leather I`ve ever seen is still porous. If it`s porous, then it can be conditioned.

512detail
09-13-2016, 12:54 PM
..."The glitz and glamor of spending all day detailing a car to keep it looking perfect was too much for me to resist Chemical Guys marketing..."
they sure do have some good words placed on their website. I`ll give them that

1. I prefer to use a product that does all three in one, partially because I`m lazy...but I will rationalize it as efficient
2. never used any of those products, so no idea there
3. i`m sure if diluted properly it would be sufficient
4. look into something with iron removers in it (sonax, ferrex, etc etc)... also with the frequency you describe you might consider Poorboy`s Spray and Rinse wheel cleaner
5. not sure about the topper aspect (you could do a spray wax as a drying aid after a wash)

don`t forget the grit guard(s) and/or wash board

and welcome!

ViperGuy21
09-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. :)

I`ve been reading threads here, on other forums, and watching YouTube demonstrations on how to property detail cars. Needless to say, it`s been eye opening, as I`ve done pretty much everything wrong since I was a child.

The only towels I`ve ever used on a car were old terry towels... The one saving grace to it all is I`m replacing my 14 year old vehicle that`s rusting at the door bottoms with a 2014 Buick Enclave that has under 25,000 miles in the short term. Now is my chance to start doing things correctly, lol. I know I will be having Xpel Ultimate applied to at least the front fenders, hood, A-pillars, and rear bumper. Whether I do the doors, who knows...

The glitz and glamor of spending all day detailing a car to keep it looking perfect was too much for me to resist Chemical Guys marketing. I`ve bought pretty much every microfiber towel I`ll ever need, though I`ve tried to refrain from ordering actual cleaning chemicals until I ascertain what`s at least "very good" to "excellent".

1. I did order Chemical Guys` leather cleaner, conditioner, and serum. I`ve read great things about the cleaner and serum. The jury *might* be out on the conditioner, has anyone used it? I`ve also read that the conditioner is useless on newer leather and you should just skip to the serum...is this true? What exactly is in the serum besides UV blockers?? I absolutely *hate* cracking, fading, and wrinkles in leather, I want to stay on top of protecting and conditioning the leather at least twice per year. The faded leather in my father`s `06 King Ranch is a saddening sight.

2. I also ordered some tire and trim care dressings. If it`s another thing I hate, it`s faded or cracked seals/stripping/trim. CG VRP for the tires, Silk Shine spray for the seals and trim, and Black on Black for the engine bay (is the BoB great for anything else?). I`m fine re-dressing the trim and seals every 1-2 months.

3. CG All Clean+ as a tire and engine bay cleaner? Yay or nay?

4. I need a quick speal on rim/wheel cleaners. I am contemplating ordering Diablo gel, however I`ve heard it falls in between what`s considered a strong wheel cleaner and regular car soap. I`d like to keep my wheels sealed with Rejex or CG Wheel Guard. I don`t know if Diablo or similar "medium strength" wheel cleaners would strip it right off every time. I wouldn`t really let my wheels go without cleaning for over 2-3 weeks. I`m lost as as to what products I should plan on ordering for the wheels.

5. Poorboy`s Black Hole glaze -> CG JetSeal -> Collinite 845 -> ??? (What are your thoughts on this trio? Is there any wax I can top the 845 with to give a wetter look that won`t come off in just two week`s time??)

6. Meg`s Gold Class wash for the outside, CG InnerClean (already ordered it) for the inside?

Thank you in advance to anyone that offers their guidance. I really want to order the right stuff the first time, and just have one or two "go-to`s" for each task. If any of the items I already ordered are far outclassed by a similarly prices substitute, guess I`ll just order the better stuff and return or gift the existing product... :cool:
Welcome!!

1. I either use NONSENSE at about 15:1 to clean leather and hit it with a conditioner(Sonax)after, or I use Mother`s all-in-one leather cleaner and conditioner. This is a really great option for a one-step leather job. Actually has pretty surprising cleaning ability too

2. I use VRP on tires and really like it! Can`t comment on the others as I`ve never used them. I use Solution Finish and Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant for my trim needs.

3. Yes, I love AllClean+! I use it at around 8~10:1 for heavy-duty cleaning.

4. Honestly I very rarely use an actual wheel cleaner on my wheels since they are coated, but when I do I use iron-x, at least for now I do.

5. I`ve heard great things about black hole(and quite want to try it)and Collinite 845(also really want to try this), and would skip the JetSeal step. Use that $40 on high quality microfibers(so important! I wish I would`ve started with high quality MF when I started detailing....), and other equipment(grit guards, etc...). If you want to add a `beauty wax` I highly recommend any of the Poorboy`s Natty`s paste waxes. I`ve personally used blue and red and love them both. Very easy to use, look great, can be used in the sun if need be, and are relatively cheap at $20-25.

6. Gold class is a great OTC soap! I`ve never used Innerclean, but I`m sure it will be just fine.

Hope that helps!

KBsToy
09-13-2016, 01:38 PM
:welcome: Hope this helps a bit...There are alot of great people here who will answer questions and give advice..Ronkh will help spend your money:)

Car Detailing How To Information (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html)

kestrel452
09-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Welcome!!

1. I either use NONSENSE at about 15:1 to clean leather and hit it with a conditioner(Sonax)after, or I use Mother`s all-in-one leather cleaner and conditioner. This is a really great option for a one-step leather job. Actually has pretty surprising cleaning ability too
2. I use VRP on tires and really like it! Can`t comment on the others as I`ve never used them. I use Solution Finish and Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant for my trim needs.
3. Yes, I love AllClean+! I use it at around 8~10:1 for heavy-duty cleaning.
4. Honestly I very rarely use an actual wheel cleaner on my wheels since they are coated, but when I do I use iron-x, at least for now I do.
5. I`ve heard great things about black hole(and quite want to try it)and Collinite 845(also really want to try this), and would skip the JetSeal step. Use that $40 on high quality microfibers(so important! I wish I would`ve started with high quality MF when I started detailing....), and other equipment(grit guards, etc...). If you want to add a `beauty wax` I highly recommend any of the Poorboy`s Natty`s paste waxes. I`ve personally used blue and red and love them both. Very easy to use, look great, can be used in the sun if need be, and are relatively cheap at $20-25.
6. Gold class is a great OTC soap! I`ve never used Innerclean, but I`m sure it will be just fine.

Hope that helps!

I`ve already purchased a bunch of CG`s "Fluffer" and "Gray Matter" waffle MF towels for the paint. For everything else, I got different colors of their Workhorse MF towels. I also bought a grit guard that includes the washboard.

The Wolfgang trim sealant does look interesting. Do you think it would it be a better product than the Silk Shine spray?

This isn`t the first time I`ve heard of "iron removers" for cleaning wheels. What exactly is the benefit of something like that over a "wheel cleaner" like Diablo?

Thanks man! :D

rlmccarty2000
09-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Welcome! Wolfgang Trim Sealant lasts much, much longer than the CGs trim stuff. I`ve never used Diablo, but it has a bad reputation over on the AG side. Using Iron-X (or similar) removes the iron contaminates that come from the brake pads, but Iron-X does not remove dirt. There are many color changing rim cleaners on the market and they pretty much all work the same. CG makes good soaps and some of their waxes are good (50/50, Petes 53), but some of their other items are not top of the line. Everyone here has their favorites and are very willing to share their opinions. Again, welcome to the obsession.

Ronkh
09-13-2016, 07:32 PM
hi

Pats300zx
09-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Welcome! !

grungy
09-13-2016, 07:37 PM
I`ll chime in - Diablo Gel is ok, not good at removing iron particles/brake dust on non-coated wheels. If you get the wheels coated, regular car soap will do 98% of the time. If you are looking for some good deals on MF towels, take a look at The Rag Company. They will run specials every so often and provide good cost/performance ratio. Happy with orders from them so far and have only tried about 5 different types of towels.

-grungy

Accumulator
09-14-2016, 12:58 PM
kestrel452- Welcome to Autopia!

A few sorta-random thoughts related to your Qs follow:

-When it comes to Interior Leather I find some degree of wrinkling/etc. inevitable. Different vehicles can have different types of leather and IIRC that King Ranch is one of the oddballs

-I find Meguiar`s GC shampoo to be OK at best (and that`s more charitable that I usually am about it). Mediocre lubricity and encapsulation IME but it`s commonly available and reasonably cheap

-Unless my wheels are "bare" I never need/use Wheel Cleaners. Whether coated or just protected with a wax/sealant, I use a sorta-strong shampoo mix (same stuff I use for wheelwells and the undercarriage) and that works fine for me despite letting wheels get utterly black between washes (just rewax/reseal if the beading drops off)

- I *NEVER* use exterior trim dressings (OK, single exception- one thing on my old Tahoe), but rather use Ultima`s Tire & Trim Guard + I don`t even use dressing under the hood

-Other than the initial cleanup, I wouldn`t expect to need an "engine compartment cleaner". I keep mine virtually spotless (maybe "literally spotless" in a few cases :D ) without anything like that. IME the trick is to never let things get too bad (ditto for the undercarriage)

-I dunno about using Black Hole and JetSeal (never used either) *and* Collinite 845. I`d just pick one LSP (Last Step Product, i.e., wax or sealant) and use that, maybe over top of the Black Hole. And speaking as somebody with decades of experience with 845, IMO it`s simply overrated and I hardly *ever* use mine any more. It does have a rather "bright, reflective" look compared to some other products and it`s very user-friendly, and it *can* generally be used on exterior trim if you do it right, so I guess there are good reasons why (other) people still like it, but I`ve moved on

-IMO the overall condition of your paint (especially with regard to marring, which is often/usually wash-induced) will matter a lot more than which wax and also IMO most people simply put too much emphasis on their (looks-related) choice of wax

-I find it extremely difficult, but possible, to avoid marring the paint during the wash. It`s far more challenging than most people would ever expect but IMO it`s what makes all the difference. I`d make that the primary focus- wash the vehicle without marring the paint

kestrel452
09-15-2016, 03:02 PM
kestrel452- Welcome to Autopia!

A few sorta-random thoughts related to your Qs follow:

-When it comes to Interior Leather I find some degree of wrinkling/etc. inevitable. Different vehicles can have different types of leather and IIRC that King Ranch is one of the oddballs

-I find Meguiar`s GC shampoo to be OK at best (and that`s more charitable that I usually am about it). Mediocre lubricity and encapsulation IME but it`s commonly available and reasonably cheap (Point taken. Can you recommend any better shampoos that aren`t horrendously expensive?)

-Unless my wheels are "bare" I never need/use Wheel Cleaners. Whether coated or just protected with a wax/sealant, I use a sorta-strong shampoo mix (same stuff I use for wheelwells and the undercarriage) and that works fine for me despite letting wheels get utterly black between washes (just rewax/reseal if the beading drops off) (What do you recommend for sealing wheels? Rejex? JetSeal?)

- I *NEVER* use exterior trim dressings (OK, single exception- one thing on my old Tahoe), but rather use Ultima`s Tire & Trim Guard + I don`t even use dressing under the hood

-Other than the initial cleanup, I wouldn`t expect to need an "engine compartment cleaner". I keep mine virtually spotless (maybe "literally spotless" in a few cases :D ) without anything like that. IME the trick is to never let things get too bad (ditto for the undercarriage) (How do you recommend someone wash their undercarriage without a wash? I don`t really like going to automatic car washes and letting the spinning bristles jack up my paint)

-I dunno about using Black Hole and JetSeal (never used either) *and* Collinite 845. I`d just pick one LSP (Last Step Product, i.e., wax or sealant) and use that, maybe over top of the Black Hole. And speaking as somebody with decades of experience with 845, IMO it`s simply overrated and I hardly *ever* use mine any more. It does have a rather "bright, reflective" look compared to some other products and it`s very user-friendly, and it *can* generally be used on exterior trim if you do it right, so I guess there are good reasons why (other) people still like it, but I`ve moved on (Do you mind sharing what LSP wax you`ve moved on to? What`s your preferred product that`s easy to use and will handle winter road salt?)

-IMO the overall condition of your paint (especially with regard to marring, which is often/usually wash-induced) will matter a lot more than which wax and also IMO most people simply put too much emphasis on their (looks-related) choice of wax (Understood. Hopefully I can get the whole car wrapped in Xpel. Otherwise, I already have a microfiber wash mitt and towels which I hope will avoid inducing swirls).

-I find it extremely difficult, but possible, to avoid marring the paint during the wash. It`s far more challenging than most people would ever expect but IMO it`s what makes all the difference. I`d make that the primary focus- wash the vehicle without marring the paint

Thank you Accumulator, I have some questions in red above if you don`t mind. :)

512detail
09-15-2016, 04:11 PM
... I have some questions in red above if you don`t mind. :)

in my opinion-

first one- Poorboys Super Slick and Suds
second- hydro2lite or gyeon wet coat--- unless ridiculously easy is not your thing
third- undercarriage- possibly an apc and a brush? I dunno... I don`t really care about my fender wells and my undercarriage, well, its there in the same boat I guess
LSP- accumulator likes FK1000p, and I`ve used it too, its awesome stuff-- that`s probably what accumulator would recommend but I wont answer in his place
washing- do you also have a grit guard and/or washboard for the grit guard? you`re gonna need those- if you think X mitts and X towels are ok- go ahead and add MORE, better safe than swirly :)

kestrel452
09-15-2016, 04:37 PM
in my opinion-

first one- Poorboys Super Slick and Suds
second- hydro2lite or gyeon wet coat--- unless ridiculously easy is not your thing
third- undercarriage- possibly an apc and a brush? I dunno... I don`t really care about my fender wells and my undercarriage, well, its there in the same boat I guess
LSP- accumulator likes FK1000p, and I`ve used it too, its awesome stuff-- that`s probably what accumulator would recommend but I wont answer in his place
washing- do you also have a grit guard and/or washboard for the grit guard? you`re gonna need those- if you think X mitts and X towels are ok- go ahead and add MORE, better safe than swirly :)

It sounds like if you use CarPro`s Hydro2, you shouldn`t be using any other waxes, sealants or even a glaze?? It certainly looks hydrophobic enough, but is it a "hardy" type of coating that will protect against road salts and whatnot? Is it ideal for plastic and rubber trim, and metal as well as paint? One other thing I`d wonder about with that stuff is if it`d stop trim or tire dressing from adhering or penetrating.

I do indeed have a grit guard with accompanying washboard. I must have bought $100-150 worth of microfiber towels already, hopefully i don`t need many more :cool:

512detail
09-15-2016, 04:45 PM
It sounds like if you use CarPro`s Hydro2, you shouldn`t be using any other waxes, sealants or even a glaze?? It certainly looks hydrophobic enough, but is it a "hardy" type of coating that will protect against road salts and whatnot? Is it ideal for plastic and rubber trim, and metal as well as paint? One other thing I`d wonder about with that stuff is if it`d stop trim or tire dressing from adhering or penetrating.

I do indeed have a grit guard with accompanying washboard. I must have bought $100-150 worth of microfiber towels already, hopefully i don`t need many more :cool:

hydro2lite will cover all your vehicle`s surface short of the tires

you CAN wax on top of it In My Experience... i`ll wax on top of Anything- lol-- but you don`t really need to

I`d imagine it`d be good for road salts silicon dioxide is one of the hardest substances known to man

would it affect trim dressings? possibly... so maybe put them on first then top with the hydro (not directly but it`ll get on there either way)