PDA

View Full Version : Official Lake Country Hydrotech Appreciation Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

danlc95
09-08-2016, 06:59 AM
In the late 00`s, Lake Country released a line of closed cell, European prepolymer foam pads. The intent was to limit product absorption and increased performance as it pertains to the range of function each pad had. For example the heavy cutting Cyan finishes down virtually wax ready, and the Tangerine is effective at removing fairly heavy defects, yet delivers award winning gloss.

However, there is a trade off with this increaed performance, and that is a learning curve, and overall reduced pad life compared to other foams.

This thread is intended to discuss tips and techniques for Paint Polishing Technicians experienced with this line of pads, people new to the Hydrotech line, and enthusiasts in general.

512detail
09-08-2016, 07:03 AM
Hydrotech tangerine with adapt is killer 1 step

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

danlc95
09-08-2016, 07:23 AM
The first thing that drew me to the Lake Country Hydrotech line, was people blowing out the Cyan pad. I`ve seen pictures of this pad literally split into pieces, accompanying comments about how well this pad cut, and finished, but just wouldn`t last.

That, and the fact that there are only three pads in the line. Cyan - cutting, Tangerine - polishing, and Crimson - finishing. Something about that simplicity was much more attractive than having a bunch of pads all colors of the rainbow.

I did notice differences in performance right away. The most noticable was how easily this stiff (Cyan) pad spinned on the paint! I was able to get excellent rotation, even under load. Also, the correction claims lived up to their reputation.

I developed a couple theories on what causes these pads to fail prematurely as well.

The first thing is that these pads do not like heat, super high speeds, or residue build up. Because the foam is stiff, it will be more "brittle", thus sensitive to how it`s used. Also, these pads are closed cell. This means that if residue gets into the cell, the potential exists for cell rupture, which leads to the shredding effect these pads are known for. Yes, they will shred anyways, but diligent, and frequent cleaning will minimize this. Also, after washing, the same phenomonae of cell rupture can occur at within the foam, and near the velcro should trapped water heats up, and expands the cells. This is what I believe causes pad collapse. I also use much less pressure than I do with the traditional LC pads.

With these provisions, and an understanding of these foams, I`m able to get good life and performance from these pads, and the luxury of only needing three colors to choose from.

danlc95
09-08-2016, 07:25 AM
Hydrotech tangerine with adapt is killer 1 step

Menzerna PF2500 on a tangerine is pretty good too. I always get a lot of milage out of that combination.

House of Wax
09-08-2016, 07:55 AM
the tangerine hydroshred pad is easily the most used pad in my collection

jrock645
09-08-2016, 01:53 PM
The HD Orbitals are nice, too. I like them on the Rupes and the rotary. Feels like similar foam but a bit firmer than the shreds.

Stokdgs
09-08-2016, 07:10 PM
I am so happy to see an actual Lake Country HydroTech/Shred Appreciation Thread ! :D

Had used Lake Country Flat Pads for years before, and while they were ok, until they came out with the killer - Purple Foam Wool, it was slow going on hard paint, hard correction jobs.. They only went up to a yellow pad and it was not that great..

The initial Hydro`s were having much issue with the velcro backing cloth coming off for sure first time you washed them, and then they did not really like anything at high/hot speeds/temps...

I personally sent a Lot of them back and the great people replaced them for me.. I really appreciated that the Forum Stores took care of us who blew these pads up for a while...

After so long, everyone just acted like they didn`t exist, and that was really too bad, because they really are a very good pad group and it`s only 3...

Along the way I gave them the new name - Hydro-Shreds - and it appears to have been accepted by many.. :)

For any type of paint, with any compound, I have never had a bad experience with the workhorse - Cyan - and the total thoroughbred - Tangerine -

And if you are really wanting to amp it up even more, the Crimson is pretty darn hard to beat...
Lots of people used to use the Crimson with a good Glaze, etc., at the end to really pop the paint even more..

These pads flat work and with a Rotary and a lot of pressure if needed at slower speeds; you take care of the heat issue because of the lower speed, and Still get incredible correction if you want to take the time to let your product just about go completely away from the paintwork...

And of course, the Cyan and Tangerine always - always - finish down beautifully.. I never have to go back with yet another color pad to clean up what the last pad did to the paintwork...

For my process I always keep the pad surface just moist enough to avoid any sling issues, to allow the product, pad and surface to get to know each other very well..

All of the Menzerna line of compounds and polishes, the Optimum line and the Meguiars line work just fine with the Hydro-Shred pads and I have never had a problem on any hard, medium, or soft finicky paintwork using these pads..

Glad to hear that some have found they work great with the HD line of compounds/polishes too..

I just hope every year, that they continue to make them.. :)
Dan F

danlc95
09-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Dan, that was you that started the Hydro-Shred nickname!

I`ve seen some great pics over the years of blown out Hydroshreds. Not in my collection though! I just wear them down like a tire.

Stokdgs
09-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Dan, that was you that started the Hydro-Shred nickname!

I`ve seen some great pics over the years of blown out Hydroshreds. Not in my collection though! I just wear them down like a tire.

Danlc95 -
Thank you for making this post up !

Yeah, it was me - after seeing a few of these shred up on me, it seemed so natural to make the name more descriptive of what was really happening...

And Lake Country - never - even thanked me for the new name ! :)

Much easier to just wear them down slowly and the Cyans for me do just that...
Finally, when they are really thin, I cut them up for use on little places where only a few fingers might have room...
Dan F

Civicclutch
09-08-2016, 09:06 PM
how do these work with a da or not so great

512detail
09-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Fine w my duetto

jrock645
09-08-2016, 10:38 PM

Great with both the Flex and the Rupes longthrows

yg1829
09-09-2016, 06:57 AM
A few months ago I did a two step on my nieces car with hyper compound on a cyan and hyper polish on a tangerine. Worked great. I had some dusting with hyper compound but it was probably my own fault. I`m still learning.

Just last weekend I did a couple panels on my truck with wolfgang tsr and a tangerine. Wow...what a beautiful one step.

I really like these pads!

Nieces car...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/7dad3f53b64901f16f0f21ac713ef259.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/e59143fe4a01cb0985220f270562ce62.jpg

My truck...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/b24dae93ef72ef7635984149a99c5955.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/281dd5b925af80442d868fc6ae9a1f59.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/23fc4af58df6de6102fddc7fb9d44bd9.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/41569b994819263239fb9d92ba8b5674.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/f016c425f611ae5f80960484ecba6b9e.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/d50578f487b8fe813df2e9ffd4ff987b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

EXPDetailing
09-09-2016, 08:10 AM
It should also be noted that due to the Hydrotech"s tight cell design, these pads are perfect for wax/sealant application, especially in the smaller sizes. Also, smaller Hydro pads are tall, making them great for hand waxing.

parttimer
09-09-2016, 09:08 AM
These are great pads, I just hated burning through them.