PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculously stubborn overspray help

mdsuperstar
09-07-2016, 11:47 PM
I have somehow accumulated a serious overspray situation from a mysterious origin, I`m not even sure if it`s paint. It affected most of the driver`s side of the car. Clay bay took the contaminants off of the paint. Didn`t take it off of the glass, that required glass cleaner and a razor blade. That just leaves the textured black plastic trim. I have tried the clay, back to black, even prep solvent with no change. Anything else I can think of may damage they parts. Anyone experience anything like this before and solve the problem? Thanks in advance!

Civicclutch
09-08-2016, 02:27 AM
Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdsuperstar
09-09-2016, 10:56 AM

Here is a photo of the situation.

Migue
09-09-2016, 11:02 AM
I had paint over spray from a cheap paint job on my tires and some of the rubber trim, good news is that yours is textured, so you can be a bit more agressive than if it was smooth trim/weather strip.

Try a nylon brush ( the toothbrush-style ones or whatever you got handy) in combination with an APC maybe for cleaning power, or one of those cheap non-scratch scrub pads sold at grocery stores. Edit: soak the sponge prior to using it to soften it up some.
http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31791&stc=1

mdsuperstar
09-09-2016, 01:20 PM
what type of chemical would you use on the sponge? I think the texture is what is making the removal difficult because it is in the low spots.

Migue
09-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Edited: Try using an all purpose cleaner or diluted car safe degreaser to add some cleaning aid behind the friction of the sponge. When I had overstay from road paint in my wheel wells I let it dwell with a diluted degreaser and that helped a bit but wasn`t working fast enough for me , so i decided to approach more aggressively and I think in the end what helped loosened it enough for me to scrub with the sponge was a combo of Tarminator and Carpro Trix. I would approach with caution in your case since the trim is visible/cosmetic rather than something that gets beat to help like a wheel well.

Civicclutch
09-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Edited: Try using an all purpose cleaner or diluted car safe degreaser to add some cleaning aid behind the friction of the sponge. When I had overstay from road paint in my wheel wells I let it dwell with a diluted degreaser and that helped a bit but wasn`t working fast enough for me , so i decided to approach more aggressively and I think in the end what helped loosened it enough for me to scrub with the sponge was a combo of Tarminator and Carpro Trix. I would approach with caution in your case since the trim is visible/cosmetic rather than something that gets beat to help like a wheel well.

Can also try soaking with goo gone but use a degreaser to scrub with after soaking

Keep us posted on how it goes and what worked for you

mdsuperstar
09-12-2016, 12:04 AM
After washing the car today, I wanted to start less aggressive than proposed. I tried using waterless wash as the cleaner coupled with a new blue "scratch free" kitchen scrub sponge. The sponge felt pretty abrasive so I thought the wash and the sponge would be a good place to start. Bottom line is that with some pretty strong elbow grease it still did not come off! I guess I will try to get used to those spots being there. I really can`t see degreaser helping as I abraided the surface very firmly and didn`t cause a dent in the overspray.

agtjamesb007
09-12-2016, 01:42 AM
If all else fails, what about painting it with Trim Black paint? SEM makes a great one. Depending on where they are on the car, and if you can take them off to paint them or leave them on the car and tape the rest off, it may not be worth the effort. If you do choose that route however, make sure you use a plastic adhesion promoter first, for that type of plastic.

Migue
09-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Try soaking it with goo gone or similar as suggested above, it might soften up the overspray if you let it dwell, then try scrubbing it again. When I had road paint on my fender wells,it took a couple of minutes of dwelling before it became possible to remove and even then I still needed plenty of elbow grease for some spots.

mdsuperstar
09-12-2016, 09:57 PM
I`ll try the goo gone before giving up. I`ll pick it up this week and key you guys know how it goes. Thank you for the advice.

agtjamesb007
09-13-2016, 02:29 AM
In addition to goo gone, there is also goof off. It is much stronger stuff and smells like jet fuel, so be sure to do a test spot if your going that route. Good luck

Civicclutch
09-13-2016, 03:25 PM
In addition to goo gone, there is also goof off. It is much stronger stuff and smells like jet fuel, so be sure to do a test spot if your going that route. Good luck

Goof off will more than likely take color right off so make sure if you use it to test in a very indiscreet spot