PDA

View Full Version : Plastidip Question - Emblems

dschribs
09-07-2016, 01:33 PM
For those of you that have used Plastidip on your cars emblems/letters...

How many coats is recommended?

How long should one wait between coats?

Thanks!
Dan

Sizzle Chest
09-07-2016, 02:11 PM
4-5 thin coats. Wait approximately 2 minutes or so between coats. It will differ in different climates/humidity/etc.

Migue
09-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Enough coats until you see proper even coverage. I cannot remember how many mine took,but it was definitely 3 or more. Wait time according to instructions on the spray can is 30 min. minimum between coats, double check instructions listed before use.

You want the first coat to be light, basically spray it as a mist on there without covering everything with the new color, that`ll give you a better foundation for the following coats to stick better.

edit: I just followed whatever was on the label when it comes to wait time, the time mentioned above by Sizzle Chest works too ,with thin coats like he states. I applied mine thicker,hence the longer wait time.

Mary B
09-07-2016, 08:54 PM
This is something new to me so I`m asking ....WHAT ???? :confused:

Migue
09-07-2016, 09:21 PM
This is something new to me so I`m asking ....WHAT ???? :confused:

Plastidipping emblems? or plasti dip in general?

dschribs
09-08-2016, 07:23 AM
It`s a spray rubber coating. Allows you to paint your emblems - on the car - a matte black. It can be peeled off if you don`t like it. I have a black vehicle and I`m going to give it a try. Gives a more "aggressive" look in my opinion.

Migue
09-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Make sure you remove emblems if you can, I have a buddy who painted his front grill and the overspray got all over the car, he didn`t notice it because they were small random black dots but it was very evident when I detailed his car. You mentioned yours is black so obviously it won`t be as noticeable, but if you care about the overspray keep that in mind.

dschribs
09-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Thanks!! I`ve learned that lesson the hard way in the past. I`l be putting plastic over the entire side of the car. I laugh at these kids on You Tube w 6" of newspaper on either side of the emblem. They just don`t get it...

Migue
09-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Exactly, make sure you cover as much as possible. I`ve had over spray fly and stick to the opposite side of the car( i didn`t care because i was prepping it for painting anyways). I saw a guy in my area offering headlight restoration and he`s spraying the headlight with what seems to be clear coat....but only has about 1ft of masking paper around the light and you can see all the over spray floating in the engine bay and further. I was so tempted to make a comment but i didn`t want to bad mouth his business or make him look bad in public social media.