PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Clothes/ Towels and Environmental Legislation

Lonnie
08-30-2016, 03:26 PM
Fellow Autopians:
I am very much concerned about the possibility of legislation outlawing the use of microfibers due to the fibers showing up in water supplies and hence fish and wildlife. This stems from recent legislation in my state, Wisconsin that now outlaws the use of micro beads in personal care cosmetics and cleaners because these micro beads cannot be processed or filtered out during municipality waste water treatment and are showing up in fish. Granted these are two completely different micro products, BUT I am sure "concerned" environmentalists or groups out there are associating fibers to be a "problem" as well because of the "micro" wording. I have no inside information as to such that this is indeed happening as we read this, and someone will say this is just pure conjecture (AKA a "fabricated lie") on my part, so why even bring up a problem that does not even exists. I use the word "possibility" in a guarded sense from the standpoint that if I am thinking about it, so is someone else; someone else being environmentalist who have the resources to study and research this purported problem. Let`s hope I am completely wrong!!
I would hate to have to give up the use of microfibers. Of the many developments and products for modern detailing, microfibers have one of the biggest impacts on the results of detailing, from polishing pads, to applicators ,to product removal, to cleaning windows, to absorbing interior cleaners (AKA poorman`s extractor), to drying vehicles.... well, you know how YOU use them. The fact is that there is a huge growth in the usage of microfiber towel/clothes in a variety of commercial and industrial settings and not just in vehicle detailing means that at some point, someone WILL bring up this question. Again I hope that I am completely wrong and will be much like the little boy crying "Wolf".
On the other hand, I never believed in ozone depletion, global warming, or that volatile organic compounds were "bad", or that asbestos brake pad material causes heath problems. Something to think about.

Note to administrator:
If this is too controversial or just plain bunk, please remove this thread at your discretion.

Ronkh
08-30-2016, 03:30 PM
Might be something to worry about in the future. But Micro towels for us is miniscule compared to the rest of textile manuf. Think of everything it`s in, from clothing to furniture.....

Mr. Slick
08-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Good thing most of us detailers stock up! wonder how long everyone would last if you couldn`t get them anymore. I don`t thing that will happen though. I`d last a few years with the stash I have.

BM1024
08-31-2016, 09:35 AM
Water treatment plants and environmentalists are much more concerned with people flushing "disposable wipes" such as baby wipes, make-up cleaners, etc.

Google "disposable wipes water treatment plants" and "disposable wipes environment".