PDA

View Full Version : Your hands... How do you use them?

Pages : [1] 2

Fishpimp
06-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I`m finding more and more uses for my hands in a detail.

For instance I spray bug squash on the bumpers and mirrors and rub it in with my hands.

I condition leather with my hands. No applicators...

Do any of you do things with your hands "IN A DETAIL" Lol. Where your hand is the tool. I just purchased some microfiber gloves so that i can do more things with my hands because I feel like i can get those hard to reach areas so much better. I`m thinking about trying to remove LSP`s with them too... and buffing.

joyriide1113
06-06-2006, 11:55 AM

For instance I spray bug squash on the bumpers and mirrors and rub it in with my hands.

Do any of you do things with your hands "IN A DETAIL" Lol. Where your hand is the tool. I just purchased some microfiber gloves so that i can do more things with my hands because I feel like i can get those hard to reach areas so much better. I`m thinking about trying to remove LSP`s with them too... and buffing.

Giving a new name to "handwash"....

Other than checking for slickness, I don`t think I do anything else.

CalgaryDetail
06-06-2006, 11:58 AM
you could always try a hand wax. I know zymol makes some super expesnive ones that are probley not worth it (please dont start debating if they are or they arnt) also victoria wax makes some good ones. Appently you apply them by hand becasue of a high carnumba content so the wax needs the heat to break down. www.victoriawaxes.com check them out.i dont know of any other but ya those 2 are the big players

PhaRO
06-06-2006, 12:09 PM
After seeing that video of the guy putting on the wax with his hands awhile back, I thought I would give it a shot. It actually works really well. I did a few cars entirely that way with Natty`s. While I don`t do whole cars like that now, I do detail front ends, mirrors and such with my hands (mainly fingertips).

Fishpimp
06-06-2006, 12:16 PM
After seeing that video of the guy putting on the wax with his hands awhile back, I thought I would give it a shot. It actually works really well. I did a few cars entirely that way with Natty`s. While I don`t do whole cars like that now, I do detail front ends, mirrors and such with my hands (mainly fingertips).

Yeah that could definitely be an Up-Charge for hand applied wax....Maybe $20-25 bucks or even more.

CalgaryDetail
06-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah that could definitely be an Up-Charge for hand applied wax....Maybe $20-25 bucks or even more.
I think you could make it even more if you use an upsodl wax to do it. For example if you use nattys on clinets cars at 20bucks a jar, you could decide to use victoria at ~$40 a jar. up sell for an extra 50 for your time and effort. People want somthing other then you hands they want a new product. However combined i thin kit would do well. not to beat a deat horse but the guy in britian who uses the zymol estate glazes charges and extra few undred pounds so it seams to hae worked for him (im throwing in anther this is not a debate on if he is good or not its just a fact)

JaredPointer
06-06-2006, 12:56 PM
I will use my fingers to clean the insides of wheels with soapy water. I just feel that I can get to the backsides & nooks better than with a rag, brush, etc.

CalgaryDetail
06-06-2006, 01:18 PM
on one of the post i put the wrong website for victoria its actually supposted to be www.victoriawax.com sorry about the mistake

Fishpimp
06-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I will use my fingers to clean the insides of wheels with soapy water. I just feel that I can get to the backsides & nooks better than with a rag, brush, etc.

Ain`t that the truth. I have tried brushes, applicators and etc but nothing compares to just sticking your hand or nail in to get the job done. I have searched the web for the best equipment but I`m finding i can get things done quicker by using my hands. Especially Wheels and crevices...

Plus i feel like my hands act as Clay when i`m rubbing spots...

CARTfan
06-06-2006, 02:54 PM
As close as I get is using a microfiber glove on the interior to get at shifter and e-brake boots and at the dash real close to the windshield when I use Natural Look.

vwgtivw
06-06-2006, 03:17 PM

I use my hand for leather conditioner

CharlesW
06-06-2006, 03:26 PM
I will use my fingers to clean the insides of wheels with soapy water. I just feel that I can get to the backsides & nooks better than with a rag, brush, etc.Something that I do that is similar is use a flannel chore glove to clean the nooks and crannies of the engine compartment and the wheels. Holds some cleaning solution whether it`s soap, S&W or APC+ and protects my fragile hands.:)
Like these.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/CharlesEW/choregloves.jpg

Charles

Woob
06-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I wear probably 5 sets of Latex gloves whenever I detail and it helps to preserve your hands. Nothings worse than driving home with a dried dirt feeling.

Fishpimp
06-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I wear probably 5 sets of Latex gloves whenever I detail and it helps to preserve your hands. Nothings worse than driving home with a dried dirt feeling.

I second that one! Nothing is worse than the feel of a microfiber towel on those dry hand... Man that is the absolute worst feeling when those tiny threads stick in your hands....:D

Fishpimp
06-06-2006, 08:33 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/CharlesEW/choregloves.jpg

Charles

Where did you get those?