PDA

View Full Version : Exterior product selection for the `daily driver` -- Meguiar`s, 3M, etc.

Pages : [1] 2

TedNugent
08-19-2016, 06:11 PM
I only own and drive `daily drivers` and while nice appearance is great, my other concern is keeping the paint in good condition over longer periods of time, maybe 20+ years since Toyota`s and Honda`s tend to last a really long time.

What I find overwhelming about 3M and Meguiar`s professional offerings is knowing which products are intended, or even minimally useful, to a guy like me who: (1) doesn`t own expensive cars, (2) isn`t trying to impress anybody, and (3) isn`t obsessed with keeping the car perfectly clean at all times. Does this make sense? By the way, I`m in California where it hardly ever rains anymore, so there`s always the issue of cars being dusty. My cars are all non-garaged, although they do have some shade when at home. I do own a black Honda, the others are lighter in color. All of my vehicles have spent their entire lives under similar environments in California and Arizona.

I`m lost on which compounds, polishes, waxes, sealants, glaze, etc, I should be using or ignoring altogether. Can anyone help narrow this down so I`m not needlessly spending hundreds of dollars on supplies I don`t need?

The Guz
08-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Since you are fairly new to this, I would recommend Meguiar`s ultimate line (compound, polish and wax). This is a good starting point. One thing to add would be ultimate quik wax to maintain the finish until you need to polish and/or protect. You can pick these up at most local stores.

Don`t forget to pick up a clay kit as well as some good microfiber towels.

rlmccarty2000
08-19-2016, 07:37 PM
A little more information is needed, please. Do you plan on buying a DA polisher? If so, the products I would recommend would change drastically based on this. Also do you want to do primarily waterless/rinseless washes?

tropicsteve
08-19-2016, 07:52 PM
if you want to be serious about this, a good da polisher is a must. that`s one investment you`ll never regret.

top189h
08-19-2016, 07:58 PM
The ultimate line is pretty good, I would also check out HD speed, and my personal favorite all in one, Meg`s da finishing wax. For more long term protection, any good sealant would probably do, but if you want to, there are several good user friendly coatings, the duragloss kit may be what you`re looking for. After that, any good car wash, an apc and an interior detailer would basically be it (check out meguiars detailers line).

TedNugent
08-19-2016, 08:03 PM
I already have a 6" DA polisher. The results have been good, I guess. I just never know what`s truly necessary or beneficial given the criteria I mentioned above.

Whenever it`s time to purchase more compound, polish, wax, etc, I always pause because of the high price tag and wonder if I`m making a good choice.

Poorboy
08-19-2016, 08:17 PM
the simplest way for a DD is Polish w/ Carnauba blue ... it is an AIO on steroids and is virtually foolproof .. we have many Professional Detailers who use Polish w/ Carnauba for their clients that just are not going to pay for multiple step details .. the look is great for a one step and it can be done in sun or shade

The Guz
08-19-2016, 10:39 PM
I will post this as well.

Pictures: 1993 Ford Explorer Extreme Makeover (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-thursday-night-detailing-classes/104169-pictures-1993-ford-explorer-extreme-makeover.html)

TedNugent
08-20-2016, 01:52 AM
Can anyone explain the pros and cons of these All in Ones?

Billy Jack
08-20-2016, 09:49 AM
I care for three DD`s regularly in addition to my garage queen.
IMO, the primary objective is just to keep `em clean, not just the dust and dirt that easily washes off, but the stuff you get from daily use, such as road residue, tree fallout, bird droppings etc. Regular use of an AIO product is an excellent choice. Poorboy`s Polish with Carnauba and Polish with Sealant are excellent choices, offering both minor correction and protection at a very affordable cost. My other personal favorites are two Duragloss products, 501 and 105, both mixed 4:1 with DG601. Neither corrects much, but both are good cleaners, with 501 being by far the more aggressive of the two. Add some Collinite, either 845 or one of the pastes and you`re set for a long time. All of these are true bargains. If you plan on keeping the vehicles for a long time, you may want to limit serious correction sessions to once or twice yearly, to preserve the clearcoat thickness. Ideally, coatings are the way to go for minimal maintenance, albeit more expensive. I`ve done my daughter`s Honda Fit with Optimum`s coating and it requires nothing more than regular washings and a yearly decon and light claying.
For my own Black Lacrosse, I enjoy playing with different waxes/sealants, but the DG AIO`s are almost always used as the base for their cleaning and protection abilities. Once a year I`ll do a serious correction process, but other than that, spot correction with Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound or M205 is all it gets, aside from the aforementioned AIO /wax treatments.

Bill

TedNugent
08-20-2016, 03:23 PM
I`m probably beating a dead horse (sorry), but I`d like to understand this better.

What exactly WON`T be possible using an AIO as opposed to other products with multi-step detailing? Billy Jack mentioned regular use of an AIO, is that essential (i.e. annually) in order to keep using an AIO? Let`s say I`m kidnapped by methane-breathing aliens and my car sits in the driveway for 5 years uncared for -- will that require a multi-step process to correct before resuming an AIO again?

Thanks in advance!

top189h
08-20-2016, 04:34 PM
An all in one essentially is a light polish with a protectant built in. It will remove minor swirling and boost gloss but it won`t be as effective as a compound. I maybe use the microfiber finishing wax 3 times a year or so after I clay my trucks and use a dodo juice wax once a month. I wouldn`t be overly concerned about the scheduling if you use a sealant or something that lasts a while.

Billy Jack
08-20-2016, 06:10 PM
What we call an AIO is often termed a Cleaner Wax. The goal is to clean the finish, remove minor imperfections and add protection and gloss in a single step. This article may explain it better: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html)

Mantilgh
08-20-2016, 10:37 PM
Cleaner waxes and AIOs with a DA are great for daily drivers. That proceeded by a light claying twice a year. Once if you can get away with it, but reapply your sealant more if you do.

With a daily driver i think it`s best you just lightly polish to add gloss, ignore its beauty marks, try not to add more, and preserve as much clear coat as possible.

I have been using Optimum Poli-Seal and really like it. It cleans well, protects like a sealant and is not expensive.

SwedishRider
08-21-2016, 04:10 AM
If you`re looking for an AIO system for a daily driver, you might want to consider the Klasse Twins: Klasse Car Wax Guide (http://guidetodetailing.com/detailing-tools-guides/klasse-car-wax-guide/)

I`ve been using them for years with excellent results on my daily drivers! And you can make your own detail spray and sealant spray wax using the KSG and Meg`s Quik Detailer (readily available pretty much everywhere). Formulas for both are found at the link I posted.