PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick out tools for removing wheels.

Pages : [1] 2 3

quebert
08-09-2016, 09:51 AM
I want to take my wheels off so I can really get them clean. Here`s what I`m looking at, this is for a 2008 Saturn Sky Redline

Tekton 15355 1/2-Inch Drive x 15-inch breaker bar

GearWrench 84946 Metric High-Strength Wheel Protector Impact Socket Set, 3-Piece
Tekton 2433 1/2-Inch driver click torque Wrench

Craftman programmable digital tire gauge.

Pittsburg 1.5 ton compact racing jack

I don`t have any tools of these sorts atm. I don`t need Snap-On or anything close, but I`d like to get a decent setup going.

suggestions? thanks

PITTSBURGH

EXPDetailing
08-09-2016, 10:20 AM
How about a cordless impact driver to remove the nuts to make the process a whole lot faster?
You could try HF for inexpensive fast lifting full-sized floor jacks.

Jesse@Autopia
08-09-2016, 10:23 AM
I would recommend an electric impact, saves a lot of time, I got the one from Harbor Freight, it`s cheap but works great for taking off wheels. You can also use any regular impact socket I just put electrical tape on the outside, but if you want to spend the extra money those impact sockets you are looking at are great.

I have the same jack at home, works great. I would recommend getting jack stands though, you can never be too safe.

Don`t forget about a 1/2" torque extension bar, most of the time lug nuts are recessed into the wheel and you need some extension, so you don`t hit the handle of the torque wrench/breaker bar on the wheel or paint of the vehicle.

512detail
08-09-2016, 10:36 AM
nice thread. I was thinking about taking some of my detail money coming up and buying the stuff that allows me to do wheels off details as well

definitely some good money in that process

subscribed

ShawnF350
08-09-2016, 10:50 AM
you can always get torque extension bars too.

JustJesus
08-09-2016, 11:19 AM
impact wrenches save SOOOOO much time. Well, when you swap wheels as much as I have. I used to swap them at least monthly for autoX. I started by hand. It sucked. I then bought an adapter to use a standard drill. I would break them loose by hand, then use the drill to remove the lug nuts. Better, but could still use improvement. Finally invested in impact wrench for use on wheels as well as suspension work. Life changer. Wheel swaps is way faster now.

as Jesse pointed out, get some jack stands. I know a guy who didn`t bother with them for many years...until that one day came that changed his mind. Luckily the damage to his car was not that bad. He was lucky!

rookiez
08-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Get the CDI torque wrench. They`re snap-on quality with affordable pricing! You need a torque wrench to properly torque your wheel back. Well, you could get away and just come to Firestone tire shop and just ask them to check the torque on your wheel real quick and it`s free! However, if you`re thinking to take your wheels off quite often, say for rotating the tires, it`s a must to get the torque wrench as well.

All in all, get a breaker bar, a cheap one is ok. Get a ratchet, find one that has a high-gear ratio, you can use it for lots of other things. A used snap-on on craigslist is affordable enough anyway. Get a decent socket for your lug nuts. Get a torque wrench to torque your wheel back properly! That`s all!

JustJesus
08-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Get the CDI torque wrench...

Love my CDI. I treat it like the precision instrument it is

TTBear
08-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Get the CDI torque wrench. They`re snap-on quality with affordable pricing!

I agree! I have a CDI, and it is built extremely well.

+1 regarding jack stands. I have seen the effects of NOT having them, too often... :(

rookiez
08-09-2016, 01:25 PM
I agree! I have a CDI, and it is built extremely well.

+1 regarding jack stands. I have seen the effects of NOT having them, too often... :(

Yep, my gf saw a random spinning wheel+tire on a HIGHWAY one time. The whole people in the car were laughing until they found out that it`s actually theirs :D
Good thing that they`re able to walk away.

Civicclutch
08-09-2016, 01:26 PM
impact wrenches save SOOOOO much time. Well, when you swap wheels as much as I have. I used to swap them at least monthly for autoX. I started by hand. It sucked. I then bought an adapter to use a standard drill. I would break them loose by hand, then use the drill to remove the lug nuts. Better, but could still use improvement. Finally invested in impact wrench for use on wheels as well as suspension work. Life changer. Wheel swaps is way faster now.

as Jesse pointed out, get some jack stands. I know a guy who didn`t bother with them for many years...until that one day came that changed his mind. Luckily the damage to his car was not that bad. He was lucky!

ditto to this as i had a customer who was under his with out stands and he is unable to learn from it now so i`m very adamant for people to use jack stands

tenblade2001
08-09-2016, 01:58 PM
great thread...thanks for all the post. There`s a lot of good information.

Accumulator
08-09-2016, 02:26 PM
I never did get an impact...keep thinking I`ll get a Milwaukee some day.

For now I just use a Speed Wrench after I`ve done the initial loosening with the Breaker Bar. After decades of doing it this way I do still think about the impact though.

Jesse@Autopia
08-09-2016, 02:30 PM
I never did get an impact...keep thinking I`ll get a Milwaukee some day.

For now I just use a Speed Wrench after I`ve done the initial loosening with the Breaker Bar. After decades of doing it this way I do still think about the impact though.

Get an impact, get the Harbor Freight cheapo one, I`ve had it for 3-4 years still running strong. You`ll thank me later lol.

The Milwaukee impact is nice though! I`m looking to get one of those one day.

SGM2008
08-09-2016, 02:48 PM
I have the Kobalt 8-Amp 1/2 " Corded Impact Wrench .... it`s a Beast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CY3F1c6aBQ