PDA

View Full Version : Mixing pads after cleaning

Pages : [1] 2 3

Civicclutch
07-29-2016, 10:47 AM
So i had heard that i shouldn`t mix pads with different compounds or polishes. This makes sense if the pads are uncleaned, but does this still apply if I`ve washed them.

Accumulator
07-29-2016, 01:16 PM
IMO this is one of those "theoretical vs. practical" things. They *should* be free of the previously used product after you clean `em and thus it shouldn`t matter. But getting pads 100% decontaminated is a mighty tall order.

I`ll mix very similar (aggressiveness-wise) products and will use more aggressive products after milder ones, but I won`t use a correcing pad for a LSP or even a compounding pad for a finishing polish.

JustJesus
07-29-2016, 01:22 PM
I mark my pads (having a white hook & loop backing helps for this) with the product I used on that pad. I *DO* try and keep them for individual product use.

That said, I`ll do the same as Accumulator. I might use a pad previously used with M205, and use it with HD Polish.

Accumulator
07-29-2016, 01:24 PM
... I might use a pad previously used with M205, and use it with HD Polish.

Yeah, that`s one of the progressions I was willing to do. Even though the M205 doesn`t finish as well for me as the HD Polish it didn`t cause any discernable issues. Might not try it on BMW Jet Black though.

Stokdgs
07-29-2016, 01:30 PM
The way I work is my compounding pads are all the same color and they are never used for anything but compounding..

I clean all pads with Snappy Clean which has proven to me that it is very effective in getting everything out of my pads, so I have no worry about that part..

Polishing pads - all the same color/s and they never do anything but Polishing..

Finer/Finest pads - all the same color/s and they never do anything but highest level of polishing or as it used to be called a decade ago - Jeweling...

Only Flat pads for me - I want the entire surface working really hard with no cuts, dimples, holes, vents, etc., to weaken the pad surface/structure..

I use only Rotary Power so all my pads get a good, hard, work out but they can handle it just fine - even the Lake Country Hydro-Shreds I have come to love...
Dan F

Accumulator
07-29-2016, 02:49 PM
The way I work is...all [compounding/poishing/burnishing] pads the same color and they are never used for anything but ...

If/when I replace mine I`m gonna try to keep them color-coded too. I`m close now but not 100% so I keep them in separate drawers.

Only Flat pads for me - I want the entire surface working really hard with no cuts, dimples, holes, vents, etc., to weaken the pad surface/structure..

Same here!

Poorboy
07-29-2016, 03:05 PM
if they are cleaned well, then they should be able to switch products ... but as stated above .. most people won`t use a finishing product with a cutting pad .. but I do often use cutting products with finishing pads .. :)

JustJesus
07-29-2016, 03:32 PM
If/when I replace mine I`m gonna try to keep them color-coded too. I`m close now but not 100% so I keep them in separate drawers.

Same here!

I`ve been working on color coding for some time. I keep mine in plastic CD storage cases. I actually just found a couple different ones that are perfect for 5.5" Hybrids, and another slim one for 3" LC Flat pads.

Cuz of STOKDGS, I even VERY recently placed an order for the HydroShreds! Adding to my growing inventory of pads (my old ones are getting too old, so I`m retiring some) and have a couple of jobs due this summer

if they are cleaned well, then they should be able to switch products ... but as stated above .. most people won`t use a finishing product with a cutting pad .. but I do often use cutting products with finishing pads .. :)

Cut product on finishing?!?! Whoa.

I`ll be using Polish w/EXP on Sunday, along with my variable contact (?) pads.

Poorboy
07-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Cut product on finishing?!?! Whoa.

I`ll be using Polish w/EXP on Sunday, along with my variable contact (?) pads.

Yes, if you are using a product with diminishing abrasives, you can use a finishing pad (black or red) so that when it finishes off it will leave little to no marring.
This was a trick I learned from a customer who details winners at Pebble Beach .. It does work well with the SSRs

JustJesus
07-29-2016, 03:45 PM
Yes, if you are using a product with diminishing abrasives, you can use a finishing pad (black or red) so that when it finishes off it will leave little to no marring.
This was a trick I learned from a customer who details winners at Pebble Beach .. It does work well with the SSRs

Got more black pads (recvd today, and more ordered), so I`ll be trying that!

SSRs, hmm. I have the samples I initially bought from you in that kit, plus SSR1 in a 16oz version. I might have to get more. haha. I do have all the Polish With in 16oz bottles.

ahhh. so much product, not enough clients. Planning on pushing for more jobs, now that I`m settling down at the new place.

danlc95
07-29-2016, 08:23 PM
I use my green cutting pads with either M100, or M205. However, I only use the M205 on the blue polishing pads.

SwedishRider
07-29-2016, 11:24 PM
Would using the Grit Guard Pad Washer qualify as making the pad 100% clean (or at least as close to 100% as possible)? Seems reasonable that washing by hand may get the pad pretty clean, but not as clean as using a pad washing system- so using a pad with another product would definitely be okay after the pad washer (but questionable if washing by hand).

XxBoostinxX
07-29-2016, 11:56 PM
The only pads I worry with are Rupes pads and I use strictly Rupes polishes with them. As long as you clean the pads afterwards I wouldn`t worry much with it. Most products we use are diminishing abrasives so if there are any left behind they are going to be broken down anyway. If you use a SMAT product I would just make sure you clean the pad very well. I typically let mine soak in a bucket of water and pad rejuvenator (McKee`s 37 Polishing Pad Rejuvenator (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/dp-pad-cleaner.html#.V5wzEVfSqp4)) and then rinse using Swanicyouth`s bucket method.

Some SMAT products that come to mind: Optimum, Meguiar`s, and 3D. I believe Wolfgang Uber Compound is as well, but not positive.

Mary B
07-30-2016, 12:34 AM
[QUOTE=JustJesus;2063850]I`ve been working on color coding for some time. I keep mine in plastic CD storage cases. I actually just found a couple different ones that are perfect for 5.5" Hybrids, and another slim one for 3" LC Flat pads.

How `bout some pics ? Right now I`m thinkin` single, folding, thin, can`t fit. :idea

Stokdgs
07-30-2016, 01:04 AM
Would using the Grit Guard Pad Washer qualify as making the pad 100% clean (or at least as close to 100% as possible)? Seems reasonable that washing by hand may get the pad pretty clean, but not as clean as using a pad washing system- so using a pad with another product would definitely be okay after the pad washer (but questionable if washing by hand).

I have found that the pad washer works really well if you are using a good process..

When I had a Pad Washer, all I had to do was spin it using Snappy Clean, then rinse them, and I always had really clean pads after spinning them to dry at 3000 rpm on my Makita Rotary...

Later, I got way more busy and setting up the pad washer bucket, etc., was taking too much time so I just went to soaking them immediately after using, in a bucket of Snappy Clean, then washing and rinsing them by hand later in the sink, and I was good to go...

Never had pad problems from the cleaning/rinsing process..

If you use a cleaner like Snappy Clean, at minimum, please wear nitrile gloves or better still, the long sleeve rubber ones they sell for cleaning, so you don`t get any of the soap on you skin.. It is very good at removing all the oils out of the pads, and it will do the same thing to your skin...
Dan F