PDA

View Full Version : cleaning and polishing?

agtjamesb007
07-13-2016, 10:35 PM
I need to give my car a big makeover. Haven`t done it in about a year, and haven`t paid much attention to the exterior since winter. I plan on doing the usual wash and clay bar. After that, in the past I have used Evercoat, Body Magic, Surface Magic fine cut (that`s all one product) to mainly clean the paint. It is a white car, and a small application and wipe off of this turns it a few shades whiter. The bottle is pretty old and it seems to have separated and isn`t so good anymore.

That being the case I need a replacement, but here is where I get a little confused. Am I to clean the paint before I polish it? If so what kind of cleaner, would you recommend and should it be either a chemical cleaner or an abrasive cleaner? I do have a bottle of Meguiars Deep Crystal paint cleaner. As far as polishing goes, what products do you suggest that I can find at my local automotive store, or elsewhere? Im not looking for a major paint correction, just some light polishing I can do for some fine scratches and swirl marks with either the Lake Country Orange light cutting pad, or the white polishing pad that I have.

Any helps hints or tips are greatly appreciated!

Dellinger
07-13-2016, 11:45 PM
If you don`t want to spend money, you can use Meg`s DC Paint Cleaner... it will do a fine job at deep cleaning the clear... it is all chemical cleaners (no abrasives.)

If you want to spend money, I would recommend Meg`s M205. It`s such a versatile product... you can use it to cut/ refine/ final polish. And it typically can be found locally- ie: Auto Zone/ Harbor Freight.

M205 has both chemical cleaners and abrasives in the liquid.

Best,
-Gabe

Accumulator
07-14-2016, 12:32 PM
IIRC, the DC Paint Cleaner is functionally non-abrasive, though (again, IIRC) it does a little concealing. Not a criticism, but I wouldn`t use something like the LC Orange Light Cut pad with a non-abrasive product.

pwaug
07-14-2016, 04:07 PM
OP--if you`re going to polish the paint then you really don`t need a paint cleaner as the polish will accomplish the cleaning. If you want to buy locally you can get Megs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish at Walmart. Both are inexpensive and beginner friendly.

TheMeanGreen
07-14-2016, 04:53 PM
If you don`t want to spend money, you can use Meg`s DC Paint Cleaner... it will do a fine job at deep cleaning the clear... it is all chemical cleaners (no abrasives.)

If you want to spend money, I would recommend Meg`s M205. It`s such a versatile product... you can use it to cut/ refine/ final polish. And it typically can be found locally- ie: Auto Zone/ Harbor Freight.

Best,
-Gabe

I give another vote for m205, super easy to use and has a vast amount of uses.

agtjamesb007
07-15-2016, 12:04 AM

Best,
-Gabe

Thank you. So if I were to use M205, would I cut/refine/final polish all in one step, or would I cut with my cutting pad, then polish with the polishing pad using the same product?

IIRC, the DC Paint Cleaner is functionally non-abrasive, though (again, IIRC) it does a little concealing. Not a criticism, but I wouldn`t use something like the LC Orange Light Cut pad with a non-abrasive product.

Interesting though, I never heard of not using a non abrasive product with a cut pad. I never have because your not cutting if your not using something abrasive, but what would the reason not to be?

-if you`re going to polish the paint then you really don`t need a paint cleaner as the polish will accomplish the cleaning. If you want to buy locally you can get Megs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish at Walmart. Both are inexpensive and beginner friendly.

Thats what I was figuring. If I am remembering correctly, Meguars polish is not a "polish" in the traditional sense of the word, and it is more of a glaze, that provides a deep wet look with oils. So maybe the Meguars Ultimate Compound would be more up my alley. Ill take a look at the m205 also.

danlc95
07-15-2016, 06:39 AM
Ultimate Polish isn`t just a "pure polish" though. It does have an abrasive set, and will do some light correction.

Accumulator
07-15-2016, 11:17 AM
agtjamesb007- I wouldn`t expect the M205 to do any real cutting. Yeah, I know that people do get it to do that (and yeah I know from Kevin Brown ;) ), but it never worked that well for me and I wasn`t surprised since it`s a Finishing Polish.

If you use the Ultimate Compound, I`d follow up with something milder like their Ultimate Polish. I know people say UC finishes out well enough, but YMMV.

Have a *LOT* of pads on-hand when using these products and remember that the non-diminishing abrasives don`t break down (the product just dries out).