PDA

View Full Version : Had to stop halfway through job and then it got worse - help!

AfroPope
07-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Hi all,

Was working on my 2014 WRB BRZ today, trying to give it its first ever machine polish. I`ve detailed other cars with a DA and they`ve all come out great but never this one since the paint was until recently in pretty good shape. Today the weather cooperated, mostly. It was cool and overcast (I don`t have a garage).

So, I get to work - two buckets, soap, rinse, dry. Iron-X, rinse, wash, rinse, dry. Nanoskin with CG Clay Lube - here`s problem one! The nanoskin sponge, which I`ve used on ONE car previously, starts to disintegrate and begins to mar the car. Okay, fine, I get that figured out and get the spots off. Finish the job with actual clay.

Begin polishing with HD Cut and a Buff-n-shine orange pad, when suddenly the sun comes out - with a vengeance. Within probably twenty minutes, I`m drenched in sweat and the car is uncomfortably hot to the touch. I abandon ship after about thirty minutes of fighting with the shade and moving the car around.

So here`s my two issues - I`ve now got half the car polished with 3D HD Cut (I normally do 3DHD Cut, then 3D HD Polish, then 3D HD Poxy). The other half of the car is not polished at all. Nothing is waxed. To make matters worse, I got stuck in traffic behind a big dirt truck that flung mud all over the car, and when the sun came out it appears to have hit the trunk first before I could rinse off the clay lube, which is now baked on and won`t come off with quick detailer alone. It just looks like nasty water spots.

Uggghhhh.

ANYWAY, I`m not going to be able to get back to this until Saturday - what should my procedure be when I get another crack at this, or in the interim, to get away with as little damage as possible? :redface:

I messed up really bad and I do not need this right now. Hopefully I`m just overreacting.

Thanks in advance.

ViperGuy21
07-07-2016, 12:01 AM
Don`t kick yourself too much, everyone messes up(especially at first. I definitely did lol). I would start by a good, thourough wash to get the crap off.

Then finish compounding, and then go around and polish it and then seal it.

If there are any spots or etchings from dried clay lube or mud I would think they might come out with just a polish, but you`ll have to treat those as you go.

Hope that helps!

Don
07-07-2016, 12:29 AM
:exactly:

Any "damage" done by your having to leave the car half-finished should easily come out with a good polishing.

Civicclutch
07-07-2016, 07:26 AM
First off i agree that any marks made on done side should come out with a a good polishing. also since you dont have a garage you may also look into a pop up style awning so that you have extra shade.
Second of all why use hd cut or did you have a lot of scratches to remove. It is always better to start light and go heavier than go heavy and not have needed it, because it can save clear coat, time, and money.

RaysWay
07-07-2016, 08:08 AM
I would start much earlier next time too if possible. Get there as early as possible and try and beat the sun.

ShawnF350
07-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Get yourself a 10x10 tent to help shade you next time. Pull the car under that.

PRND[S]
07-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Chemical Guys have their own exact-copy knockoff of the Autoscrub NanoSkin, so their lube is not what caused the NanoSkin to disintegrate. More likely there was some Iron-X left somewhere that you missed.

AfroPope
07-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Don`t kick yourself too much, everyone messes up(especially at first. I definitely did lol). I would start by a good, thourough wash to get the crap off.

Then finish compounding, and then go around and polish it and then seal it.

If there are any spots or etchings from dried clay lube or mud I would think they might come out with just a polish, but you`ll have to treat those as you go.

Hope that helps!
So basically just start the process over? Give it a good wash and then get back to polishing?

First off i agree that any marks made on done side should come out with a a good polishing. also since you dont have a garage you may also look into a pop up style awning so that you have extra shade.
Second of all why use hd cut or did you have a lot of scratches to remove. It is always better to start light and go heavier than go heavy and not have needed it, because it can save clear coat, time, and money.
Not a lot of scratches except in one or two places but TONS of hard water spots and I`ve had good luck getting those off with the HD Cut.

;2059365`]Chemical Guys have their own exact-copy knockoff of the Autoscrub NanoSkin, so their lube is not what caused the NanoSkin to disintegrate. More likely there was some Iron-X left somewhere that you missed.
Yeah, it was weird. I just kinda rinsed it like normal and all of a sudden it started coming apart on my bumper. <_<

Great news, all. Thanks.

PRND[S]
07-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Yeah, it was weird. I just kinda rinsed it like normal and all of a sudden it started coming apart on my bumper. <_<I read about problems with the NanoSkin when exposed to APCs before I ever used one, and I`ve been extremely careful about what I allow it to come into contact with. The symptoms I`ve read about are the rubber getting super-soft and sticky, and leaving black streaks on the paint. That`s why I think you missed some Iron-X during the rinse.

AfroPope
07-07-2016, 12:53 PM
;2059385`]I read about problems with the NanoSkin when exposed to APCs before I ever used one, and I`ve been extremely careful about what I allow it to come into contact with. The symptoms I`ve read about are the rubber getting super-soft and sticky, and leaving black streaks on the paint. That`s why I think you missed some Iron-X during the rinse.

Yup, that`s what happened alright. What a pain in the ass.

Anyway, I`ll go back to it this weekend, finish the HD Cut job on the untouched panels and then Polish, Seal, and Wax.

RaysWay
07-07-2016, 03:04 PM
;2059385`]The symptoms I`ve read about are the rubber getting super-soft and sticky, and leaving black streaks on the paint.

That`s happened to me before when using a shampoo at too high of a concentration, or I`ve heard it can happen if the panel or Nanoskin is too hot.

I remember not measuring the amount of 3D Pink Car Soap and had that problem. I thought about it later and decided to try it again at the proper dilution and the Nanoskin Wash Mitt worked perfectly.

ViperGuy21
07-07-2016, 03:23 PM
So basically just start the process over? Give it a good wash and then get back to polishing?

pretty much! You shouldn`t have to worry about decontamination again if you got it good the first time, but I`d give it a Baggie test just to be extra sure

BSkip333
07-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Ive had the nanoskin do that when I didnt rinse off some TRIX. It is a PITA!

Stokdgs
07-07-2016, 04:38 PM
The SM Arnold SpeedyPrep rubberized towel - Speedy Surface Prep Towel (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/clay-bar-towel.html)
does not have issues like apparently your towel does...
It`s a workhorse and has been around for several years now..

I totally agree, if you cant get shade from trees, see about getting an EZ pop up tent or something...
Sorry you had all these problems..
Dan F