PDA

View Full Version : Product Storage Temps

Pages : [1] 2

RI_FF/Medic
07-05-2016, 06:42 PM
I have a question for the masses here. I keep all my supplies and chemicals in waterproof sealed tool boxes, which I keep in the bed of my pickup under a tonneau cover. Now here in RI it doesn`t get crazy hot for the summer mostly 80-90 degrees and winter is single digits. I bring everything inside when it gets around mid 40s so it doesn`t have a chance to freeze. Is it safe to keep my supplies the way I currently have them stored without them being ruined? But will the heat alter the composition of the chemicals? Thanks in advance.

Ronkh
07-05-2016, 06:45 PM
My stuff sits in garage 24/7/365 now

When I was in CT, when it got warm & stayed warm then in garage, then inside before it got cold in fall.

JustJesus
07-05-2016, 07:01 PM
I was going to ask similar. I recently recorded a 107* in the garage. Products appear to be fine, though

RI_FF/Medic
07-05-2016, 07:04 PM
I was going to ask similar. I recently recorded a 107* in the garage. Products appear to be fine, though

I wasn`t sure if prolonged exposure to temps in the 90s would break down the compounds and waxes, etc. Thanks for the reply

JustJesus
07-05-2016, 07:10 PM
No problem. Last summer I was worried about those things as well. I just go and open each bottle to release some of the pressure (and sniff some of the Poorboy`s stuff) and close `em up again. Make sure to point them away from you if you open them on one of those hot days. Sometimes product shoots out

rlmccarty2000
07-05-2016, 08:28 PM
I need to go out to my garage and shake up some of my products that have been sitting in this obnoxious heat.

RI_FF/Medic
07-05-2016, 10:53 PM
I guess for now I`ll keep an eye on them and periodically check to see if my waxes have broken down into liquids. I`ll post an update if I find them to have been effected. Thanks for the responses

TheMeanGreen
07-05-2016, 11:15 PM
Keep the waxes inside, on a shelf or in a sock drawer, everything else should be a-okay.:)

RI_FF/Medic
07-05-2016, 11:25 PM
Keep the waxes inside, on a shelf or in a sock drawer, everything else should be a-okay.:)

Thanks for the insight. What about sealants and glazes

TheAverageMan
07-06-2016, 09:32 AM
I keep my waxes and sealants in styrofoam containers, like 3 dollars each at Walmart

Ronkh
07-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the insight. What about sealants and glazes

They go in the underwear drawer.......... :rockon

rlmccarty2000
07-06-2016, 10:02 AM
Waxes, sealants, and coatings all go in my bedroom closet. The AOIs are in the garage, starting to wonder about those.

glfnaz
07-06-2016, 10:11 AM
I am glad this topic is going on.
In regards to Styrofoam, I tried something similar. Keep in mind I live in Phoenix AZ. I put mine in picnic ice chests. No ice, just trying to use the insulation of the chest. I put one thermometer in the garage, and another in the ice chest. Both read 109* 24 hours later. So I moved waxes / sealants / polishes inside.

I keep my waxes and sealants in styrofoam containers, like 3 dollars each at Walmart

RI_FF/Medic
07-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Just checked on my waxes and all of them were starting to liquify. I ended up bringing all my waxes, sealants, and glazes inside to store in my basement just to be safe. Mind you it`s 93 degrees out and partly cloudy.

aceone
07-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Just checked on my waxes and all of them were starting to liquify. I ended up bringing all my waxes, sealants, and glazes inside to store in my basement just to be safe. Mind you it`s 93 degrees out and partly cloudy.

Be glad you have a basement!! In So. Cal. no such thing (everything built on a slab). I miss the East Coast, can`t beat extra storage space!! Also, good luck having a wine cellar, I would have one for the wine and A Wax/Sealant cellar, ha ha.