PDA

View Full Version : CarPro Fabric Coating Warning!!!

Pages : [1] 2

rlmccarty2000
07-03-2016, 03:43 PM
I just had my carpet cleaned and bought some new matching carpeted mats for my BMW 335d, so I thought the best way to keep them clean would be to try some CarPro Fabric Coating. I sprayed it on the carpet, easy enough and shut the car doors like I normally would. The next day I got inside the car and the smell was overwhelming. I came very close to vomiting or passing out. No exaggeration here. I rolled down all the windows and opened the sunroof trying to get the smell out before I passed out. I finally just parked the car and let the gas escape. A day later you can still smell the coating off gassing. This is just a warning to everyone that tries this product. Give it time to cure with the windows open. I could have been the fact that the outside temp was well over 98 degrees and it heated the interior to an ungodly temperature and it caused the product to evaporate. It kind of worries me that all that coating is now all over the interior of my car. Scary.

Mr. Slick
07-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Wow wonder how bad that would be here over 100. You probably have to leave all doors open for 12 hours

Mike lambert
07-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Ron will know I can`t resist, you did it wrong! LOL!

Swanicyouth
07-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Obviously a case of user error here.

You have to wait for version 3.1.

TheAverageMan
07-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Are you sure it was the CarPro coating, and not the mats themselves? My Weathertech and Husky Liners smelled for a while when I got them.

By the way, I have a 2016 and 2015 Honda Fit, both identical everything. I got the Husky Liners when I got the 2015, because I had a decent job, so I wanted to be cheap. I got the 2016 a year later and got the Weather Tech liners.

Overall, the Weather Tech Liners are of better quality than the Husky Liners.

Ronkh
07-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Do they feel sticky too?

Ronkh
07-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Obviously a case of user error here.

You have to wait for version 38647453659.1997

Fixed

Stokdgs
07-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Are you sure it was the CarPro coating, and not the mats themselves? My Weathertech and Husky Liners smelled for a while when I got them.

By the way, I have a 2016 and 2015 Honda Fit, both identical everything. I got the Husky Liners when I got the 2015, because I had a decent job, so I wanted to be cheap. I got the 2016 a year later and got the Weather Tech liners.

Overall, the Weather Tech Liners are of better quality than the Husky Liners.

His mats are carpeted mats, not plastic..
Dan F

rlmccarty2000
07-03-2016, 10:10 PM
100 percent sure it was the CarPro. I haven`t touched them to see if they`re sticky or not, but after airing it out the smell is much better. You could call this user error and if the label would have said not to close the car up I would not have done so. This is just a cautionary tale about what can happen if anyone applies this to a customers interior. In today`s litigious society I can see someone getting sued over such an incident. It was the worst thing that has happened to me right next to spilling Iron-X on my bare hand (whew). More and more fabric coatings are hitting the market and detailers need to be aware of the cure times and be aware of the toxic fumes these things put off.

JBM
07-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Does it smell like the cquk? If so , inside a car, whew.

rlmccarty2000
07-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Yep, that`s the smell. I think I will stick to 303 products for my fabric protection.

EXPDetailing
07-04-2016, 06:23 PM
What happened to you after the iron x incident?

JBM
07-04-2016, 06:26 PM
FWIW Garry Dean has a new fabric product out, looks pretty amazing really. I dont remember him mentioning that is has a smell to it.

Its funny this smell issue though. There is a product I use from time to time called Siloxaine for waterproofing masonry. There is a solvent one that is clear and smells just like the Carpro stuff, and there is a white water based one that has no odor at all but both protect well , allow moisture to escape from the inside, and bead water for around 5 years or so.

dcjredline
07-04-2016, 09:25 PM
Do you find that you can close the car up when you use 303? I never have been brave enough to try that. I just figure the air circulation would help the coating dry out much better than leaving it closed up.

RaskyR1
07-05-2016, 11:43 AM
To be fair I think you would have had the same happen with just about any interior fabric coating.