PDA

View Full Version : IRS scam phone calls

Pages : [1] 2

jrock645
06-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Anyone else get these? I`ve been getting them almost daily for weeks. They keep calling, so I`ve been calling them back. I`ve pretended to be an insurance company asking if they`re happy with their current provider, cable company, etc. I called back another time and the guy asked who I was. Of course, I`m not gonna tell them my name. I messed with him for a mi ute telling him I just wanted to pay up so he would leave me alone. He told me not to call back.

Ive called back a few times and more or less told them off- in terms not suitable for discussion around here. They just keep calling! Someone also recently stole my CC info and charged $1040 at a western union. Someone also forged a letter from a Dairyland Insurance Co about a western union payment made in my name but with no policy#. I looked up Dairyland, called their 1-800#(not the number on the letter sent to me) and eh have no record of me and were as confused as I was.

At any rate, I`ve signed up for lifelock but short of changing my phone number, how do I get these people to stop calling? This may sound extremist, but IMO this is just another form of attempted jihad, since most of them are too cowardly to actually engage in combat.

heisenberg
06-30-2016, 01:58 PM
If they`re calling from the same number just have your provider block it. Some carriers will allow you to block numbers online. I have a number of these types of people blocked - regardless of how many DNC call lists I`m on they find a way to get your information because most companies will sell it to them. I`d also recommend reporting it via the IRS online tools because they take it pretty seriously. https://www.irs.gov/uac/report-phishing

... but what the heck does jihad or combat have to do with it?

4u2nvinmtl
06-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Sorry, it`s probably some Montreal Telemarketing company trying to scam you. Tell them your flying into Montreal and they better watch their kneecaps (multip telemarketing owners had their kneecaps shot for scamming the wrong people a few years back). That will scare them more than telling them your reporting them.

jrock645
06-30-2016, 02:33 PM
If they`re calling from the same number just have your provider block it. Some carriers will allow you to block numbers online. I have a number of these types of people blocked - regardless of how many DNC call lists I`m on they find a way to get your information because most companies will sell it to them. I`d also recommend reporting it via the IRS online tools because they take it pretty seriously. https://www.irs.gov/uac/report-phishing

... but what the heck does jihad or combat have to do with it?

They`re all clearly middle eastern. Call it a conspiracy theory if you want, but its how i see it.

Ive reported it to the IRS, and theyre still calling.

512detail
06-30-2016, 02:52 PM
the problem with the DNC list (as far as I remember) is that there is a list but there is no legal way to enforce the list
I got a letter from the real IRS, haven`t opened it yet. its a little too light to be cash, lol

EXPDetailing
06-30-2016, 02:55 PM
I like to play along and waste both our time. They stopped calling.

jrock645
06-30-2016, 02:57 PM
I like to play along and waste both our time. They stopped calling.
Ive tried that approach as well

Stokdgs
06-30-2016, 03:22 PM
It used to be that your phone nbr through your carrier, allowed you to block so many numbers...
I dont know if they still do this..

If every phone nbr in the world has to go through a Switch, that Switch has the ability to record the nbr and Switch it over to wherever it is supposed to ring...

Call the carrier of Your phone nbr and ask them if they they do this and then how to do it on your phone nbr...
Tell them you want to just Block harassing callers and you have their phone nbr..

The other issue with this is that a lot of these Idiots are smart enough to know about call blocking so they buy several numbers and keep switching them so they don`t get blocked..

I`m with 42unvinmtl - find them and blast their kneecaps off and that will slow them down...

Good luck !
Dan F

bigfish528
06-30-2016, 03:27 PM
We are still investigating these scammers there were some who were caught and were severely fined or imprisioned. If you get any call stating you owe such and such and you must make a immediate payment or the police or an agent will come to your house to be arrested hang up the phone and call TIGTA office of investigations at 1-800-366-4484. The IRS will always send letters or notices if there is any tax discrepencies.

tom p.
06-30-2016, 04:43 PM
I`ve had the calls. They appear to come of "Texas". All info on these calls is spoofed so who knows where it`s really coming from.

Some justice:

Five arrested in IRS impersonation scam (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/05/24/five-arrested-irs-impersonation-scam/84874934/)

JBM
06-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Why isnt it easy for customers to block phone numbers is the crux of the issue.

screamng
06-30-2016, 09:28 PM
We were getting calls from these guys all the time. This scam was on the local news about 6 months ago, but I kept getting the calls. They would always call during the day when we are not at home and leave a message. I just laugh and delete the msg. The last time they called about 2/3 weeks ago they started into their pitch, I cut them off and told them they were a scam and to not ever call again. They hung up right away, now I don`t think I have received a call since..

Swanicyouth
07-01-2016, 02:56 AM
I think you guys are all wrong.

When they called me, I asked them if it was a scam and they said no.

So, I sent them all my money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PA DETAILER
07-01-2016, 06:06 AM
INDEED. Got one yesterday and just shook my head and laughed. If people would use their talents for good instead of evil....

BTW...The IRS will never contact you by phone. Always by mail.

jrock645
07-01-2016, 09:17 AM
I think you guys are all wrong.

When they called me, I asked them if it was a scam and they said no.

So, I sent them all my money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

probably the right thing to do. I offered to pay the one guy but he said they don`t take any money in that office and to never call back there again.