PDA

View Full Version : Need tips & tricks for Meguiar`s Paint Protect 365

Don
06-26-2016, 08:45 AM
I just bought the Paint Protect 365 at Walmart and I need some tips & tricks from anyone experienced in its use. I did a quick WW using D115 on my hood, roof and trunk lid so I could give the PP365 a quick test run before going to bed. I used a mf covered sponge applicator and applied several "dots" of product to the applicator, then basically wiped it on. I gave the three panels about 10 minutes, then started buffing with a clean mf cloth.

I had to buff the heck out of it because it was leaving shadows, clouds and `smears` on the paint. I also discovered that I have to change buffing cloths fairly often as they seem to load up and not remove the PP365 as well (the hood was the worst).

Most recently, my car was polished w/Klasse AIO and had a coat of Ult Liquid Wax applied. Since then, it has seen several uses of UQD & UQW and now UWWA and D115. Should I polish the car with Ult Polish to get down to clean paint and start over, or am I good to go as is?

I`m pretty sure I put the PP365 on too thick and I`m going to work on applying it thinner. Right now I`m applying it by the half-panel ... half the hood then the other half, half the roof, etc. Is that too much? Should I work in smaller sections?

Right now, I`m waiting to see if the smears fade out, like many waxes do once they lay after a while. If it does, the probably 80% of my issues will be gone.

I would still like any opinions on my process and all suggestions are welcome.

PA DETAILER
06-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Review: Meguiar`s Paint Protect (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/89008-review-meguiars-paint-protect.html)

The Guz
06-26-2016, 12:27 PM
Going to post my response over here as well.

For me two things come to mind.

There are too many products on the paint. All of these products could be causing some sort of issue with PP365 bonding to the paint. I would start with a clean base.

Second, what does several dots look like? It sounds like you used way too much product for a specific area.

When I used PP365 I let it sit for nor more than 5 minutes. It does require more towels to remove it, as it is an oily product. You are more than likely seeing the carrier oils on the paint. Those will go away after the first wash.

One last tip, is to not wash it or top it for 7-10 days. This will allow you to get maximum performance out of it.

I have a video in this thread on how applied it. I treated PP365 like a coating.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-brag-the-detailers-showcase/182857-2002-camaro-z28-meguiars-paint-protect-365-a.html

On a side note, it`s too bad you didn`t get D114 instead of D115. The wax in D115 will eventually take over the surface tension`s behavior.

Don
06-26-2016, 08:10 PM
I DID notice that the smearing went away after a few hours of the car baking in our 90* sun today, but I am going to strip the car w/Ult Polish on Thurs/Fri to start fresh.

I know what you mean about the D115, it is very aggressive in it`s ability to become THE cause of the water beading on the car. I`m pretty sure the beading of the ULW would have severely diminished by now, but after a few rains and car washes, the beading is still extremely strong, which I credit to the D115.

Anyway, I`ll be starting fresh this weekend and if I can manage it, I`ll try to leave the car alone for 7-10 days like Michael Stoops suggested to let the PP `cure properly.`

rlmccarty2000
06-26-2016, 09:54 PM
I agree, too many products. Remove everything and start from clean paint.