PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Refrigerator Cleaning

ZeroDfx
06-22-2016, 11:35 PM
My wife has been asking me to clean up the facade of our stainless steel refer; I assumed I would be wiping it down by hand with a dedicated SS appliance cleaner.
Then it occurred to me that I could probably do a better job and a faster job with my PC, but I`m not sure what to use on it.
Has anyone ever cleaned their stainless refer with a PC? What did you use on it and what was your basic process?

Thanks, Nick

Stokdgs
06-23-2016, 12:23 AM
Hello, Nick,

There are several different types of "Stainless Steel" and because of this, they react differently to cleaning, in my experiences..
I purchased a new S/Steel Reefer couple years ago and found that only this product would clean it leaving it streak free, etc...

Have never considered using a PC on Stainless Steel Reefers and would be worried about it being true S/S or just a coating that looks like it over another metal...

I bought this at Home Depot, but perhaps it may be available elsewhere --

Steel Meister
9.5 oz gray colored aerosol can with a blue cap..

I found this URL on the back of the can - click - Rock-it Oil Lustre :: Put the Stainless back in Steel :: RockitOil.com (http://rockitoil.com/products/rockit-lustre/)
Good Luck -
Dan F

ZeroDfx
06-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Dan:

Quick question: it sounds like you were happy with the results you achieved by hand rubbing, correct?
If the PC is over-kill, I`ll leave that out of the equation.
Thanks

donbeezy
06-23-2016, 09:02 AM
i used a dedicated stainless steel cleaner from Lowes, similiar to what Dan posted. takes off prints and smudges and leaves a clean finish. i am tempted to throw a spray sealant down to make it easier to clean though.

Swanicyouth
06-23-2016, 09:30 AM
I went through this a few months ago with a new house and all new SS appliances. I thought I was just going to wipe them down with ONR....

It didn`t work. It didn`t get finger prints off. I tried a QD... It didn`t work either.

I thought my appliances were stained.

Then, I thought I`d actually assume someone knows better than me, and try a product designed just for SS.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160623/605d88f3309e343c8509546ceaea6136.jpg

This stuff works. You just spray it, let it sit for 2 mins - and buff. If there are any streaks, just re-buff with a tiny bit of water.

It`s not just a cleaner. There is some type of "slick stuff" or oil in it that cleans and protects the SS.

As for polishing it with a PC, why would you do that? It`s brand new, it should be pretty close to perfect. You just need to clean the finger prints off it and it will come with some finger prints.

Stokdgs
06-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Dan:

Quick question: it sounds like you were happy with the results you achieved by hand rubbing, correct?
If the PC is over-kill, I`ll leave that out of the equation.
Thanks

ZeroDfx -

Yes, I just sprayed it on a cotton towel, wiped it on, and wiped it off with another towel..
It left the finish clean and beautifully even..

Tried other methods and always ended up with streaks..
Dan F

richy
06-23-2016, 12:05 PM
Zep products just rock.

Accumulator
06-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Zep products just rock.
I`m using their Zep40 Glass Cleaner on our SS/chrome/etc. kitchen stuff.

DBAILEY
06-24-2016, 04:49 AM
The cleaners leave an oil film that acts like a glaze to hide imperfections. The cleaning ladies at work wipe the elevators down with it way too much. You can actually end up with a wet mark on your clothes from leaning against the wall.

06-24-2016, 05:28 AM
The longtime appliance salesman at home depot recommend only wiping with a moistened microfiber,and only in the direction if the grain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

addysdaddy
06-24-2016, 07:02 AM
p21s polishing soap

JSFM35X
06-24-2016, 07:14 AM
I use a damp mf towel followed by a dry one to avoid streaking on all stainless steel

I use a glass cleaner prior if it`s greasy marks

For the Bbq I clean with a finishing polishing by hand and follow with a product called wow stainless steel polish. It`s green and works great. Apply a wet coat and then buff off excess.

Ancient_1
06-24-2016, 08:11 AM
I put some WG Uber coating on my kitchen faucet and black bathroom sink and chrome faucet with good results. It makes cleanup very easy on all. It has been a little over 3 moths and all is well. Don`t mind the sprayer in the pic it was replaced with a SS soap dispenser it was there to just fill the hole.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/Ancient_11/2016-03-07%2018.10.12.jpg

Mary B
06-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Stainless cleaner polish does build up over time, to where it doesn`t work anymore, I use a rag soaked in water
and a light liquid abrasive cleaner, rinse thoroughly, dry with the grain.
Try to clean it down to metal for a fresh start then use the SS polish, sometimes I don`t use the polish I just
keep it clean with damp rag once I have it down to metal.