PDA

View Full Version : Colinite 845 vs 915

pmdr85
06-22-2016, 06:49 AM
What`s the difference? Does it come down to preference?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

jrock645
06-22-2016, 07:55 AM
845 is easier to use. I like 915 better, personally. Gives a better glow and really enriches the color of dark paints. Might me my favorite wax in my collection. Also, probably protects better since its a closer derivative of 476. But yes, its lrgely a preference thing.

pmdr85
06-22-2016, 08:18 AM
I`ve personally always been a fan of paste wax also but I always hear people praise the 815 so I figured I`d ask

pwaug
06-22-2016, 09:33 AM
From the Collinite website:

A user-friendlier version of the No. 476s paste, No. 845 stands as Collinite’s most legendary product to date. Famous for its versatility, durability and DIY ease of use, “IW” is ideal for both small and large surface area jobs where lasting protection and timely job completion are desired, but hard buffing and frequent reapplication are not practical. Leaves behind carnauba shine and durable coating that preserves finish and shields against the elements; UV, rain, snow, salt, dust, dirt, grime, bugs, staining and more. Handcrafted and poured in the USA.

A Mr. Collins original, this classic carnauba/polymer blend is also Collinite’s most durable. Holds up month after month against harmful outdoor corrosives; UV, rain, snow, salt, dust, dirt, grime, bugs, staining and more. Ideal as a winter wax when both lasting shine and all-season/all-conditions protection are equally crucial. Handcrafted and handpoured in the USA.

We devote ridiculous amounts of #1 grade carnauba to all our pure wax formulations, but the No. 915 takes the gold cigar. With over 15% more than our No. 476s, the Marque D` Elegance boasts Collinite’s highest amount of rare carnauba; yielding our highest gloss and warmest shine to darker, meticulously maintained finishes. Look for exceptional durability and a price that’s hundreds less than other boutique brands. Handcrafted and hand poured in limited quantities in the USA.

WaxAddict
06-22-2016, 11:14 AM
I use and respect them both, but they`re two different animals. 845 is glassy and reflective, works GREAT on red/orange/yellow paints and adds POP to silver. 915 has a deeper look and is better suited to dark colors, but would not be wasted on any color. Don`t expect ANY filling with 915.

845 is a little more forgiving with longer cure times. Don`t let 915 sit too long.

Longevity - they are both champs. 845 looks and acts more like a sealant.

pmdr85
06-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like I`m going to get both because I like to have a choice in the wax for lighter/darker color vehicles. That extra detail makes all the difference imo

Migue
06-22-2016, 02:59 PM
If you can, get yourself one of the squeeze bottles they sell here so you can put the 845 in it. The cap on that stock bottle becomes loose easy and due to how temperature sensitive the consistency of the 845 is, it can be a pain to get some on your applicator. Sometimes I`ve poured too much because of this , and when my bottle had dropped, more time than not the cap comes flying off and spilling all over the floor.

The squeeze bottle made my life a heck of a lot easier.

whitewater25
06-22-2016, 03:52 PM
If you can, get yourself one of the squeeze bottles they sell here so you can put the 845 in it. The cap on that stock bottle becomes loose easy and due to how temperature sensitive the consistency of the 845 is, it can be a pain to get some on your applicator. Sometimes I`ve poured too much because of this , and when my bottle had dropped, more time than not the cap comes flying off and spilling all over the floor.

The squeeze bottle made my life a heck of a lot easier.

I have found the flip up spout tops on some household cleaners or old wax bottles fit the Collinite bottles so I don`t need to put them in a separate bottle.

Migue
06-22-2016, 03:56 PM
I have found the flip up spout tops on some household cleaners or old wax bottles fit the Collinite bottles so I don`t need to put them in a separate bottle.

Cool, that works too. I personally prefer the ones sold here because they`re smaller and easier to handle with one hand, plus the self cleaning tip is a plus.

pmdr85
06-22-2016, 04:14 PM
ill have to check them out!

Lonnie
06-22-2016, 09:48 PM
Two things about 845 you need to know: (both of these come from longtime Autopian ScottWax)
1) Use a long, flat-tipped screwdriver blade to mix 845 that has been sitting in the bottle for a some time and has the consistency of taffy.
You will NOT be able to shake it up if you don`t mechanically mix it up first.
2) Keep your thumb on TOP of the bottle screw-on cap to keep it from coming off when you shake it vigorously to mix it up. Collinite bottle caps have notoriously been known not to screw on completely tight OR when you do try to tighten, them they keep turning in a clutch-release-like fashion. Shaken vigorously to mix up the thick liquid 845 without securing the cap tightly, and you WILL end up spreading 845 all over the place. Yes, I`ve been the victim of such consequences and it is NOT pretty, especially on floors.

I personally have used 915 on a number of cars and its been a great wax. It offers the best of carnauba waxes in that:
1) It`s a (thin) wax-on-wax-off application (some let it slightly haze over; I do not)
2) It lasts a long time compared to a lot of beauty carnauba waxes, usually 6 months on outdoors-kept vehicles; 9 months on garage-kept vehicles (which is great for winter-driven vehicles)
3) It offers a great carnauba-glow that compares to a lot of "high-end" carnauba waxes, but it is relatively (much) less expensive (if you consider $37.00 for 12 ounces of a carnauba wax "expensive". I know I do, but then I thought $35 for AutoGlym High Definition Wax at Walmart was outrageous, until I used it on a dark car.) So for the cost of about two bottles of Megs NXT 2.0, you can have a show-car-worthy wax in your collection.