PDA

View Full Version : Help! Lost jewelry next to driver seat rail

MSOsr
06-11-2016, 02:06 PM
I dropped an empty gold money clip (shaped like a large paper clip) my wife gave me 25 years ago next to the driver seat of my 2011 CTS-V couple. It landed between the seat rail and the console and when I wedged my hand down there to get it, it "dropped" into a channel or hole next to the seat rail! I moved the seat all the way rearward and could see down below the carpeting (after removing the plastic "cap" at the end of the seat rail) that there was a lower "floor" below the seat rail mount.

I took my car to the dealership to have a Recaro TSB done (moving of the seat under braking) and they then removed the seat and the seat rail to replace the rail. However, they said they didn`t find my money clip. :unsure:

Perplexed, I bought a digital inspection camera and looked where I could today (with the seat and rail in place, there is only so much area you can access down there). A couple of times I saw something that might be the clip, but it is hard to tell while you`re holding the carpet back with one hand and trying to move the camera with the other. In any event, the suspicious areas were not areas I could reach myself.

Cadillac Customer Service suggested I let the dealership continue to look for it. I`m at a loss, as my wife`s upset I lost the clip and is upset I bought the inspection camera. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks.

Mike

512detail
06-11-2016, 02:21 PM
is it a real gold clip? wondering bc real gold obviously is not magnetic but if its not all gold maybe that would help..yet im guessing you have lots of bolts etc under there too so maybe not the best idea

dcjredline
06-11-2016, 02:28 PM
What would I do in this situation? Probably take the seat out myself.

JVD
06-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Yep. Disconnect battery. Remove seat. Pull up carpet if need be.

Do not connect the battery until the seat is back in and harnesses connected.

Stokdgs
06-11-2016, 03:02 PM
I dont know if this is possible, but if a long, thin, Crevice vacuum tool can be fit down there into whatever that place is, and it`s a powerful unit like my Metro, it might be able to suck that clip out and it will go into the cloth bag that is easy to remove and empty...

If I had your vehicle, I would try that process before having to disconnect the electronics and remove the seat..
Good luck!
Dan F

512detail
06-11-2016, 03:12 PM
I dont know if this is possible, but if a long, thin, Crevice vacuum tool can be fit down there into whatever that place is, and it`s a powerful unit like my Metro, it might be able to suck that clip out and it will go into the cloth bag that is easy to remove and empty...

If I had your vehicle, I would try that process before having to disconnect the electronics and remove the seat..
Good luck!
Dan F

Dan, what problem can you NOT solve with your crevice tool? lol

Stokdgs
06-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Brandt !!! :)
I tell, you, I have several of them of different lengths and thickness, for exactly that reason... :)
My big Metro has saved me hours of time pulling stuff out of places that you cant even see but a tool can get there most of the time...
And a few long, stiff wire pulls with a hook on the end made from stiff wire have also worked in places that the crevice tool or blasts of air cannot help...
It`s that Innovation thing I have most of the time.. :)
Dan F

512detail
06-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Brandt !!! :)
It`s that Innovation thing I have most of the time.. :)
Dan F

Dan MacGyver

edit: oh hell the irony...the OP lost a money clip that looks like a paper clip :o

MSOsr
06-11-2016, 05:39 PM
Although there is apparently a "channel" of some sort running toward the rear of the car (for wiring, maybe?), the access from the driver compartment is very small...too small for a vacuum attachment. The access is vertical and only finger deep.

The clip is 14K gold, so magnets are out of the question.

I appreciate the suggestions so far.... thanks!

Mike

Stokdgs
06-11-2016, 09:35 PM
MSOsr -

Is that access too small for this to fit in there ?? https://www.metrovacworld.com/Super_Extendo_Detailing_Crevice_ToolMVC_213

I would tape up the side vent at the bottom of it to allow more suction from the end of the tool and see if this could fit into that channel and its flexible so it might be able to move around enough to pick up the money clip...

Or, if it can get into the channel and move easier sideways, get it in there so the side opening is facing down and see if it will grab it..
Dan F

MSOsr
06-11-2016, 10:57 PM
Yeah...the opening barely accepts the .47 in. camera on the 12 mm. wand. Not much room at all, but thanks for the good idea.

Mike