PDA

View Full Version : Any real need to buff in wax?

bennylava
06-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Is there any real need to use my GG6 to apply wax? I`m still a newb but to me, wax seems like a "wipe on, wipe off" type of deal. Like it should just fill in any little scratches that may be left, after polishing, on its own without any difficulty in the application process. I know a lot of people say wax is mainly a protector, but its also a bit of a filler, right? You`re also using it to fill in anything that might have gotten missed.

So to me, applying a wax by hand, seems sufficient. It seems to me, like the GG6 is really going to apply that wax. Like hardcore apply it. If that makes any sense. I`m asking because they sell those finishing pads, which are to be used with wax only. I think they`re typically white, or black.

UNLESS - The wax isn`t easy to get on or off. Then it would make sense to me, to use the buffer. But I don`t think I`m really interested in using waxes like that. Thoughts? Opinions?

nickclark08
06-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Not all waxes fill, and some waxes need a thin coat (DA makes it easier).

I apply by hand; it`s relaxing.

Migue
06-08-2016, 11:43 AM
I used to apply by machine, but for some reason the product spreads further if I do it by hand, and so far I can do it quicker with better coverage by hand.

To answer your question, no, you don`t have to use a machine. If you were using a CLEANER wax type product then machine application would help.

WaxAddict
06-08-2016, 12:52 PM
On neglected paint in really bad need of wax, the machine simply allows you to "feed the paint" easier.

Accumulator
06-08-2016, 12:58 PM
On neglected paint in really bad need of wax, the machine simply allows you to "feed the paint" easier.

Right. Though we make fun of the "feed/nourish the paint", there are cases where that`s kinda what happens (it`s downright *how it works* wih old-school single-stage lacquer).

I sometimes get noticably better results when I apply the LSP by machine and work it a good bit. I assume I`m working the product into the paint`s pores/micro-fissures better than I do by hand, but that`s just a guess. But note that qualifier "sometimes". Not like I believe it`s mandatory and I don`t do it by machine most of the time.

Like Mique, I end up using/wasting more product by machine than I do by hand. And it`s probably quicker if I count the time involved with getting out/putting away the polisher.

But I really do prefer applying some LSPs by machine, e.g., M16 via Cyclo. If I gotta wax something, that`s about as close to enjoyable as LSPing gets for me.

Stokdgs
06-08-2016, 01:03 PM
I`m with Migue above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Put in on by hand, you get better coverage because your hand can get into places that a machine even with a small pad cant do (your fingers),
you can get a better feel for how its acting on the paint, you will definitely see everything better, you dont have to stop the machine, put it down, etc.,
and lastly, you are not going to have to keep a pad or pads just for machine waxing because you will never get all the wax out of them...

Others may swear just the opposite of this, and that`s fine, we are just advising what has worked for us..
Dan F

Accumulator
06-08-2016, 01:42 PM
..Put in on by hand, you get better coverage because your hand can get into places that a machine even with a small pad cant do (your fingers)..

Well, yeah...you *do* always have to use something small to get into the tight spots. I don`t think I`ve *ever* LSPed a vehicle without using some swabs. Like..*every* single time for the last forty-some years. Simply have to or else I`d miss an area that a pad/MF/etc. won`t get, though a MF wrapped around a small stick works pretty well too.

bennylava
06-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Alright thanks again

Now what are the characteristics of the waxes that last the longest? Are they harder to apply and remove, than a wax that only lasts a few weeks or a month?

Also, do the short term waxes give a greater shine than the long term, tougher waxes? This is all just generally speaking, of course its going to vary from product to product.

Accumulator
06-08-2016, 03:08 PM
..Now what are the characteristics of the waxes that last the longest? Are they harder to apply and remove, than a wax that only lasts a few weeks or a month?

Maybe a bit, but it`s not a night/day diff like it used to be IMO.

Also, do the short term waxes give a greater shine than the long term, tougher waxes? This is all just generally speaking, of course its going to vary from product to product.

Same answer (hence my use of Souveran on my Jag; I care about that little diff *on that car*).

WaxAddict
06-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Regarding difficulty using certain waxes, if you follow directions, you should be fine no matter what you buy. Don`t even give it a second thought. Then again, let Griots Best Of Show or Collinite 915 dry longer than necessary, and you`re gonna have a bad time.

rlmccarty2000
06-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Waxes impart a different look than sealants or coatings. I can`t say all waxes or all sealants or coatings though. A carnauba wax gives the paint a warm glowing shine, where most sealants and coating leave a candy hard shine. This is not a hard and fast rule as manufacturers are playing with their formulations to give sealants and coatings more of a wax look.

jrock645
06-08-2016, 11:31 PM
I mostly apply by hand, but every once in a while I`ll do by machine. It does give a thinner, more even coat, which makes for a very easy wipe off. Overall, I feel like machine gives a better result, just not necessarily worth the hassle of running extension cord and such. And it`s a pain with paste waxes, I won`t do it if I want a more expensive wax put on.