PDA

View Full Version : Review-Poorboy`s beta foam soap

Pages : [1] 2

ViperGuy21
05-31-2016, 07:54 PM
Firstly I want to say thanks to Steve and Dwayne for the opportunity to try this out and give feedback. Beta testing is lots of fun and I appreciate the opportunity every time!

When I received my bottle the first thing I did was open it and take a nice whiff. As others have noted, it is a delicious grape scent. When my dad came outside after I foamed his truck and was 2BM washing and he could still smell the awesome grape scent. I personally love the scent, and found it to not be overwhelming or underwhelming in strength.

I used my Gilmour foam gun for this test. How much water I put in the thoroughly rinsed out canister:
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/ViperGuy21/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1095_zps1vrxapii.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/ViperGuy21/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1095_zps1vrxapii.jpg.html)
After adding about 2oz(maybe a little less)of soap to the canister and giving it a little shake:
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/ViperGuy21/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1096_zps7sp0wmxe.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/ViperGuy21/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1096_zps7sp0wmxe.jpg.html)
I put the gun to the highest foam setting(E on the Gilmour gun)and went to town:
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/ViperGuy21/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1100_zpsufdju02f.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/ViperGuy21/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1100_zpsufdju02f.jpg.html)
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/ViperGuy21/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1101_zpsa3lpkfkz.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/ViperGuy21/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1101_zpsa3lpkfkz.jpg.html)
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/ViperGuy21/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1102_zpseg4zaezh.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/ViperGuy21/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1102_zpseg4zaezh.jpg.html)

Thoughts/impressions:
I enjoyed using this product, very nice to work with overall. It provided nice added lubricity for the wash and seemed to do its job well. My problem with it was I couldn`t tell the difference in using a normal soap that I use in my bucket and this foaming-specific soap in terms of quantity and thickness of foam or in added lubricity or cleaning power. I plan on doing a direct comparison between Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss, Optimum Car Wash and Poorboy`s foam soap once it stops raining here and will do a write up on that. My complaints about this soap is that I wish it was thicker in viscosity, and that it stands out more from a regular car soap. I wasn`t disappointed with this soap, but it just didn`t seem like something super special to me. I don`t think I will be purchasing this as I don`t see the benefit of having this product specifically for foaming instead of using a regular soap.

Thanks again to Steve and Dwayne for this opportunity!

Ronkh
05-31-2016, 08:21 PM
Wonder how it would have been w less water..

ViperGuy21
05-31-2016, 09:23 PM
Wonder how it would have been w less water..
I used that amount of water because that is the same amount I usually use and wanted to eliminate variables to help me compare with other products

mjlinane
06-01-2016, 05:14 AM
Nice write-up!

Ronkh
06-01-2016, 06:43 AM
I used that amount of water because that is the same amount I usually use and wanted to eliminate variables to help me compare with other products

Understood......... BUT by "removing that variable" you may have introduced other variables.

Maybe it is meant to have a different dilution. Maybe cost per use is another variable.

I understand that there are no dilution strengths or directions yet. That is my guess is the reason for the beta test, to see dilutions give the best results. I have read I think 3 or 4 other reviews that show better foam. I haven`t had the chance to try it yet, cuz I`m waiting for my new gun to arrive (old one not working properly). When I get it I`ll be able to compare for myself.

ViperGuy21
06-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Understood......... BUT by "removing that variable" you may have introduced other variables.

Maybe it is meant to have a different dilution. Maybe cost per use is another variable.

I understand that there are no dilution strengths or directions yet. That is my guess is the reason for the beta test, to see dilutions give the best results. I have read I think 3 or 4 other reviews that show better foam. I haven`t had the chance to try it yet, cuz I`m waiting for my new gun to arrive (old one not working properly). When I get it I`ll be able to compare for myself.
Like I said, I still have about 2oz that I plan on using for a direct comparison with two other soaps once it stops raining. I will try a different dilution on the foam soap with that one. If it takes 4 oz to get `snow foam` the cost per use is going to be pretty high because I doubt it will be 1/2 or 1/4 the price of one of the other soaps I will be comparing it with.

Ronkh
06-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Like I said, I still have about 2oz that I plan on using for a direct comparison with two other soaps once it stops raining. I will try a different dilution on the foam soap with that one. If it takes 4 oz to get `snow foam` the cost per use is going to be pretty high because I doubt it will be 1/2 or 1/4 the price of one of the other soaps I will be comparing it with.

Understood. To me it sounds like you got 2 cake mixes, one that calls for 2 eggs, one that calls for one. So one it is for both to remove variables.

CG cwg adds glossers, I believe that ocw adds polymers. So imho it`s apples and oranges. Since in that case they don`t rinse clean. They leave something behind.

Don`t get me wrong, I`m not saying one is better than another, I have no idea since I haven`t had a chance to try it yet. Just different.

Poorboy
06-01-2016, 10:26 AM

thanks for the review ...

the beta samples are not meant for comparison to other products, just an assessment of what it does, how it does it, and if it does it well or not, how to improve. Everyone has their favorite products and brands, and our only purpose of giving Autopians a chance at Beta testing is for feed back.

ViperGuy21
06-01-2016, 10:54 AM
thanks for the review ...

the beta samples are not meant for comparison to other products, just an assessment of what it does, how it does it, and if it does it well or not, how to improve. Everyone has their favorite products and brands, and our only purpose of giving Autopians a chance at Beta testing is for feed back.
Understood. However, the best way for me to get products and asses how effective they are is to compare their performance to other products I`ve used. I use other products as benchmarks to try and relate similarities and differences so others may be able to get a stronger grip on what the product may be like. Like I said, I thought the product performed well, but just for me personally, with my limited budget, I don`t think I could justify having this product in addition to another soap. This is simply my honest opinion, as was asked for

ViperGuy21
06-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Understood. To me it sounds like you got 2 cake mixes, one that calls for 2 eggs, one that calls for one. So one it is for both to remove variables.

CG cwg adds glossers, I believe that ocw adds polymers. So imho it`s apples and oranges. Since in that case they don`t rinse clean. They leave something behind.

Don`t get me wrong, I`m not saying one is better than another, I have no idea since I haven`t had a chance to try it yet. Just different.
Like I mentioned to PB, I like to use other products as benchmarks when testing/reviewing to provide similarities and differences to try and convey a more accurate description of performance to those who read my write-ups. Why not, products are compared to each other once they are released, and that is how they will be judged. I understand this is for direct feedback, and did provide some in that manner as well. I try to come at it from more than one angle for comprehensiveness.

Ronkh
06-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Like I mentioned to PB, I like to use other products as benchmarks when testing/reviewing to provide similarities and differences to try and convey a more accurate description of performance to those who read my write-ups. Why not, products are compared to each other once they are released, and that is how they will be judged. I understand this is for direct feedback, and did provide some in that manner as well. I try to come at it from more than one angle for comprehensiveness.

Sorry, I didn`t mean to come off like an :ass and I do understand benchmarking, but for some reason to me this almost sounded like comparing a sealant to a wax.

Again, sorry.

rlmccarty2000
06-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Good honest reviews is what PBs need in their beta testing and this is a good one. I`ve read all the other tests and they all have been well written and honest. So far it looks like this soap would be best used in a foam lance or use 2-3 ounces in a foam gun (normal for me). It looks like it rinses clean (great for coatings) and smells great. I`m looking forward to buying some after the formula is tweaked. Grape is a good smell. I wouldn`t bother me if a competitor had the same smelling product. Beat them on price!

Poorboy
06-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Understood. However, the best way for me to get products and asses how effective they are is to compare their performance to other products I`ve used. I use other products as benchmarks to try and relate similarities and differences so others may be able to get a stronger grip on what the product may be like. Like I said, I thought the product performed well, but just for me personally, with my limited budget, I don`t think I could justify having this product in addition to another soap. This is simply my honest opinion, as was asked for

I totally understand and many people use benchmarks to judge, but in the case of Beta testing for me, we are looking for the Pro`s and Con`s without comparison, only personal opinion.
We sell more than 90% of our products overseas and many of the users will never have used a foam product or have had limited exposure or access to others.

If you think the product should have done xxx better , that`s what we need to know ... give it another shot with the 2oz you have and let us know ;)

Good honest reviews is what PBs need in their beta testing and this is a good one. I`ve read all the other tests and they all have been well written and honest. So far it looks like this soap would be best used in a foam lance or use 2-3 ounces in a foam gun (normal for me). It looks like it rinses clean (great for coatings) and smells great. I`m looking forward to buying some after the formula is tweaked. Grape is a good smell. I wouldn`t bother me if a competitor had the same smelling product. Beat them on price!

absolutely ... that is what helps make better products

ViperGuy21
06-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Sorry, I didn`t mean to come off like an :ass and I do understand benchmarking, but for some reason to me this almost sounded like comparing a sealant to a wax.

Again, sorry.
I took no offense, you didn`t come off like a jerk. I was just explaining my thought process

ViperGuy21
06-01-2016, 01:54 PM
I totally understand and many people use benchmarks to judge, but in the case of Beta testing for me, we are looking for the Pro`s and Con`s without comparison, only personal opinion.
We sell more than 90% of our products overseas and many of the users will never have used a foam product or have had limited exposure or access to others.

If you think the product should have done xxx better , that`s what we need to know ... give it another shot with the 2oz you have and let us know ;)

absolutely ... that is what helps make better products
Ok, I`ll do that with the last 2oz once it stops raining. I hope what I`ve already posted has helped at least some