PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Poly wax

Pages : [1] 2

OneQuickGT1
05-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Used this for the first time. Liking it so far! As far as maintaining it, are items like speed shine and griots spray wax the suggested maintenance products?

Additionally, if I used speed shine as a drying aid during my first wash, would it still be safe to apply a second coat of poly wax after?

Thanks!

Ronkh
05-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Why not?

tropicsteve
05-13-2016, 07:25 PM
around here, if you`re not using more wax, you`re not doing it right! :)

PA DETAILER
05-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Griots spray wax. Used to maintain and a great drying aid. There seems to be some confusion between speed shine/spray on wax. Spray on wax is to be used after each wash. Speed shine between washes.

From GRIOTS...Griot`s Garage Speed Shine Detailer should still be used between washes, but Spray-On Wax should be used immediately after each wash. Griot`s Garage Spray-On Wax is meant primarily for clean cars. Used as a drying aid, it helps prevent water spots.

Ronkh
05-14-2016, 07:13 AM
around here, if you`re not using more wax, you`re not doing it right! :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/churchsign.jpg

512detail
05-14-2016, 07:25 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/churchsign.jpg

people put 30ml wax pots into the donation tray at that church!

and + one for GG Spray wax in your situation

Accumulator
05-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Why not..[use SpeedShine with Poly wax]?

Guess he`s wondering whether the stuff SpeedShine leaves behind might cause issues with more Poly going on top of it.

I used SpeedShine as a Drying Aid many times with no issues before all the Spray Waxes/etc. came out. It`s a leaves-stuff-behind QD that leaves *pretty much stuff* behind IME, not a Spray Wax but it`s sure no M34 either.

OneQuickGT1
05-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Thanks! Anxious to see if griots chimes in. By the way, poly wax is a really nice product. Super slick and a nice look to it. Let`s hope the durability claims are true

512detail
05-14-2016, 12:50 PM
Let`s hope the durability claims are true

there is always chance for hope

I`m learning, however, that durability claims are like stock prices. They change with a lot of different factors and generally not for the best.

How long do they say it lasts anyways?

The Guz
05-14-2016, 02:28 PM
there is always chance for hope

I`m learning, however, that durability claims are like stock prices. They change with a lot of different factors and generally not for the best.

How long do they say it lasts anyways?

Supposedly up to 8 months.

512detail
05-14-2016, 03:01 PM
wow that`s some durability

pwaug
05-14-2016, 03:04 PM
8 Months is great durability--I`m curious to hear how it does with regard to self cleaning and protection from bird bombs.

Dellinger
05-15-2016, 03:02 AM
I wouldn`t go so far to say that it will last 8 months... maybe in a very mild climate and always garaged.

I have tested and 4 winter months seems to be it. It applies awesome, smells awesome, looks awesome, gloss stays around for an extended time but I am not sure if it is designed to be a sheeting sealant or a beading sealant. Just some funky water behavior... not a bad thing but just confused me when observing it`s performance.
It does like two layers, 24 hours apart if possible. Self cleaning... eh, seems to be comparable to any average sealant. Bird bombs haven`t seemed to be an issue for this product... spring is finally here in my local and the birds are bombing, lol, and I don`t have time to wipe them off my own vehicles.

I would say it competes well with 845 and Meg`s ULW (and I mention those because most people have a working knowledge with those products.)

OneQuickGT1
05-15-2016, 08:10 AM
Good feedback. Hoping to get another layer on fairly soon. I sure does look good, especially after curing overnight.

pwaug
05-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Guess I`m spoiled after using FK1000--don`t worry about bird bombs and after a heavy rain car looks like it was just washed.

I wouldn`t go so far to say that it will last 8 months... maybe in a very mild climate and always garaged.

I have tested and 4 winter months seems to be it. It applies awesome, smells awesome, looks awesome, gloss stays around for an extended time but I am not sure if it is designed to be a sheeting sealant or a beading sealant. Just some funky water behavior... not a bad thing but just confused me when observing it`s performance.
It does like two layers, 24 hours apart if possible. Self cleaning... eh, seems to be comparable to any average sealant. Bird bombs haven`t seemed to be an issue for this product... spring is finally here in my local and the birds are bombing, lol, and I don`t have time to wipe them off my own vehicles.

I would say it competes well with 845 and Meg`s ULW (and I mention those because most people have a working knowledge with those products.)