PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 21 mk2 or G21

ShawnF350
05-13-2016, 12:30 PM
Well i just picked up the 15mk2 and had intentions to also get a 21mk2.
Had a problem with the mk2 21 so now trying to decide.
The g21 being cheaper and lifetime warranty has me t thinking.
Has anyone compared the two mk2 vs Boss?
I have a setup of Rupes 6" and 7" pads but now trying to decide.
I just sold both Rupes 15&21 last Week to upgrade to mk2s.

heisenberg
05-13-2016, 12:59 PM
I have the 15 MKII and the G21. I know they`re not exactly the same, but I feel they are close enough to compare. The Rupes is significantly smoother to me, but the G21 offers better ergonomics IMO. The grips, the trigger lock, the instant start, and the speed dial are all superior on the G21 to me. I also prefer the sound of the Rupes over the G21 as it seems softer to me.

You`re going to get a ton of opinions on this and you`ll get people that will argue about Chinese sourced tools and copycat tools and all of that and I`d recommend not getting dragged into it. If you can, try out both of them. I bought the G21 sight unseen and sold my Flex because it was too much tool for me and haven`t regretted it one bit.

I will say that I am surprised that you had a problem with the Rupes tool as they are pretty much on the money with their engineering, construction, and quality. I was incredibly impressed upon looking at that aspect of it. Also due to the nature of the internet you`ll find people on the extremes on either side - those extremely happy with their purchase want to talk about it and those with horror stories about their experience want to be heard as well. Hope this provides some balanced insight.

JBM
05-13-2016, 01:06 PM
What about the new Flex?

ShawnF350
05-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Thanks heisenberg,
I really don`t want to compromise the smoothness of the Rupes.
Working on selling my 3401 too.
My GG6 and 3401 just weren`t going Well for me. Griots 6 sold last spring
I cant t handle the pain of a tool if it vibrates too much.

heisenberg
05-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks heisenberg,
I really don`t want to compromise the smoothness of the Rupes.
Working on selling my 3401 too.
My GG6 and 3401 just weren`t going Well for me. Griots 6 sold last spring
I cant t handle the pain of a tool if it vibrates too much.

I know what you mean. I hate having to use my GG6 with smaller pads for intricate areas. It still vibrates too much for my liking, same with the 3401. Working on a Mini soon most likely. Your best bet might be the MKII Rupes then. G21 is pretty smooth, just the Rupes is noticeably smoother to me. I find that using thin pads mitigates this mostly though.

ShawnF350
05-13-2016, 01:37 PM
I have the mini too. I do all the small areas and headlights with zero complaints.
And yes I could even polish a car with it. Jus might take a while.

ShawnF350
05-13-2016, 01:39 PM
What about the new Flex?
I don`t believe they offer a 21mm throw?
Do they?

rlmccarty2000
05-13-2016, 02:20 PM
The lifetime warranty for the G21 maybe a plus but I would still take a Rupes product over anything on the market. I have not upgraded to the MkII, I`ve never needed the extra power. I use my 21 on flat surfaces, the 15 on the sides, and the mini on curves and hard to reach spots. I`m holding off on the Nano until they get them in stock. Rupes may not have a lifetime guarantee but you do not see many people returning them either. Kind of like those Cyclos that people find still running after 50 years. A well made electric motor should last a lifetime (maybe worn brushes).

ShawnF350
05-13-2016, 02:28 PM
Thanks rlm.
I only wanted to upgrade figuring I`d break even selling a 15,21 3401.
Well a little outta pocket but not much.

Many love the 3401. But every time i use it, im a bit achey.

That`s exactly how I was doing it too.
The 21 kills defects noticeably faster.

XxBoostinxX
05-13-2016, 05:12 PM
A well made electric motor should last a lifetime (maybe worn brushes).
I hope these Rupes motors are that well made. Only time will tell!

Thanks rlm.
I only wanted to upgrade figuring I`d break even selling a 15,21 3401.
Well a little outta pocket but not much.

Many love the 3401. But every time i use it, im a bit achey.

That`s exactly how I was doing it too.
The 21 kills defects noticeably faster.
Ever since my purchase of my 21es, I haven`t touched my 3401. I just remember how worn out I would be after a day of working and it was miserable. I don`t miss that feeling at all.

I would go for the 21es Mark II. I think the overall quality is superior. Like mentioned above, you just don`t hear about people sending back Rupes machines like GG machines. Kevin Brown does repair older machines and brushes from time to time. He has even mentioned that people should be keeping the originals because they are that well made on his Facebook. I personally value his opinion more than others.

ShawnF350
05-13-2016, 06:07 PM
Thanks Guys,
I ordered a Rupes 21 MK2 from Ray of course.
Didn`t want to take the chance.

The 3401 is going on Ebay by tomorrow.

Anyone need a Rupes Mk1 backing 5" plate? Had it for the 21 but didn`t give it to my buyer.
It won`t fit the Mk2s so useless to me.

ShawnF350
05-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Wow, no takers