PDA

View Full Version : GG Washboards for two-bucket method?

Pages : [1] 2

SwedishRider
05-04-2016, 08:12 PM
I`m currently using the two-bucket method (which really uses three buckets), and I stack two Grit Guards each in my wash and rinse buckets, and one Grit Guard in my wheels and tires bucket (so five total Grit Guards).

I really like the concept of the new GG Washboard, but should I buy one for each bucket (would each bucket benefit from a Washboard)? Or just two for my wash and rinse buckets only? And will a double-stacked Grit Guard system fit with the Washboard in a five gallon bucket?

I`m trying to think through the usefulness of a Washboard in each of those buckets before I buy. Thanks for your input! :thanks

kesmit
05-04-2016, 08:55 PM
I just bought a single one for my rinse bucket and I love it. I`m not sure it would be of much use in the wash bucket. However, it may be of use in a wheel / tire bucket. If you used two grit guards and a washboard, the washboard would be up pretty high. You`d probably need even more water in the bucket for it to really work well.

LEDetailng
05-04-2016, 10:32 PM
I put one washboard in each bucket. I think the washboard makes it easier to clean my wash mitts. I rarely see any debris at the bottom of the wash bucket, but usually their is some fine sand/debris. One more layer of insurance against scratching the paint with dirty wash media.

ShawnF350
05-05-2016, 08:13 AM
I`m going for two myself.

SwedishRider
05-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered one for each bucket (3 total). I`ll post how they work when I use them in the near future.

ShaneB
05-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Sounds like serious overkill.

why would you need one in your wash bucket if you have one in your rinse bucket? All the dirt should be removed in the rinse bucket before reloading in the wash bucket anyway. It`s not doing anything more than providing a surface for you to rub your wash media against. I`d stick with one in your wheel bucket, one in your rinse bucket, and stick with a single grit guard in each. I don`t see the benefit to double stacking grit guards either.

SwedishRider
05-08-2016, 03:39 PM

why would you need one in your wash bucket if you have one in your rinse bucket? All the dirt should be removed in the rinse bucket before reloading in the wash bucket anyway. It`s not doing anything more than providing a surface for you to rub your wash media against. I`d stick with one in your wheel bucket, one in your rinse bucket, and stick with a single grit guard in each. I don`t see the benefit to double stacking grit guards either.

I`ll concede it might be overkill... but Amazon has the GG Washboard for $8.19 each at the moment. So for about $25 I can have one in each bucket. Not a bad deal at all I think.

Going forward, I do intend to single stack in each bucket now that I`ll be using the washboards. I always felt like the wash bucket ran low on soapy water too quickly with double-stacked guards in it. I think a GG/Washboard combo in each bucket would be optimal. I`ll have to try and see I guess.

LT1xL82
05-08-2016, 04:19 PM
...Amazon has the GG Washboard for $8.19 each at the moment. So for about $25 I can have one in each bucket. Not a bad deal at all I think.

A really good deal...I just ordered a second one! :)

I really like the Wash Board...especially with brushes.

512detail
05-09-2016, 11:24 AM
waiting for somebody to custom make four of them into one bucket. lol

washboard vortex

I think im adding one to my cart today- looks like a good product to have

Accumulator
05-09-2016, 12:45 PM

why would you need one in your wash bucket if you have one in your rinse bucket? All the dirt should be removed in the rinse bucket before reloading in the wash bucket anyway...

I`m all for overkill when it comes to measures intended to prevent wash-induced marring. Lots of distance between the Practical and Theoretical IMO, and whether something`s "necessary" or not will vary from person to person.

Does the vehicle develop marring or not? Boils down to that IMO.

ShaneB- Just FWIW, despite what I posted above I thought the exact same thing as you at first blush! I don`t even use Grit Guards. But if [some approach]
works for people then OK. What *I* want to know is whether anybody`ll post back in a year or so and say that this has made an actual difference.

I *do* think that some of the latest GritGuard advances will make for a more comfortable motion, so OK, IMO that`s worth something.

ShaneB
05-09-2016, 05:21 PM
If it works for him and he`s more comfortable doing it, then I can`t argue it. Totally agree that it`s good to go the extra mile to help prevent marring or swirls/scratches. This post just raised the question in my head of, "When is it too much?" Ya know?

512detail
05-09-2016, 05:41 PM
If it works for him and he`s more comfortable doing it, then I can`t argue it. Totally agree that it`s good to go the extra mile to help prevent marring or swirls/scratches. This post just raised the question in my head of, "When is it too much?" Ya know?

are we really approaching the (subjective) topic of over doing it in regards to detailing? what a conundrum that is indeed! :)

ShaneB
05-09-2016, 08:09 PM
are we really approaching the (subjective) topic of over doing it in regards to detailing? what a conundrum that is indeed! :)

Um... Well when you put it like that... I retract my previous statement lol

Accumulator
05-10-2016, 12:17 PM
What`s somebody to do? Start cutting corners until the paint gets marred? Well, I guess the answer is "yes", but I`d hate to do it that way.

What *I* find interesting is that people really are (apparently) able to avoid wash-induced marring without going to the extremes that I do. All this talk about "dirt" ...on/in the wash media, in the rinse bucket...it just seems like trouble to me.

But actually, I *do* think that plenty of people overdo it when it comes to Detailing, doing stuff that has no actual, tangible benefit. IMO it`s a case of just doing stuff that makes them feel good. But hey, there`s value in that too...and this *is* Autopia ;)

ShawnF350
05-10-2016, 01:20 PM
These grit guard washboards are for detailing?
I bought one for my wife for Mother`s Day.
I`m Getting rid of the washer.
Tired of hearing how she did wash all day. Nothing like in the old days.