PDA

View Full Version : New Vehicle

Dynoguy
05-02-2016, 10:34 AM
I just got a new Chevy Equinox, I was wondering what wax or coating I should start with on a new vehicle ?

TroyScherer
05-02-2016, 11:43 AM
To give you any kind of relevant information we will all need some more info from you.

What is your experience level?

How much time or work are you willing to put into the initial process?

Do you own a polisher? If yes which one and what is your experience with it?

Do you like or want to wax it monthly -or- are you looking for long term durability with minimal maintenance?

Do you have any experience with coatings? If so please elaborate.

Do you plan to do proper maintenance or use the "car wash"?

Any protection is better than non. It all comes down to how much work you are willing to put into it or if you want to pay someone else to do it for you.

mjlinane
05-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Congratulations!!

What Troy said.

Dynoguy
05-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I have some experience
I will put in the time it takes to get it correct.
I have a Porter Cable polisher with the older Edge Pads I am somewhat experienced with it.
I can wax it monthly or longer.
I do not have any experience with coatings.
I wash my own vehicle in my Pole Barn.

Ronkh
05-02-2016, 05:42 PM
With all that Troy said........... If you`re willing to put the work into it. The easiest coatings to work with IMHO
PBL
DP now McKees 37 ?
Wolfgang

Look thos up on the forums and see if they meet they type of work you want to put into it and maintain.

Dynoguy
05-02-2016, 06:21 PM
What does PBL stand for ?

Ronkh
05-02-2016, 06:23 PM
pinnacle black label

the johnnie walker of car care

rlmccarty2000
05-02-2016, 06:34 PM
I agree. If you can wax or run a buffer you can use PBL paint coating. I would suggest getting the whole PBL coating kit and do the wheels and glass too.

TroyScherer
05-02-2016, 06:34 PM
I have some experience
I will put in the time it takes to get it correct.
I have a Porter Cable polisher with the older Edge Pads I am somewhat experienced with it.
I can wax it monthly or longer.
I do not have any experience with coatings.
I wash my own vehicle in my Pole Barn.

Thanks for the info.

Obviouly coatings should last longer and a more protective product. But the work "required" is a little more in depth and time consuming to make sure you get perfect paint and the best results. If you want go this route I would suggest Opti Gloss Coat. It is easy to apply and has great results. The PB black label coatings are good, but I haven`t gotten the durability from them.

The other option is a good sealant and wax if you want. I prefer a sealant on its own and some of the newer stuff can last up to 6 months or more and protect well. The Blackfire Crystal Seal is quick easy and looks good. But there are many great options.

Dynoguy
05-03-2016, 10:14 AM
My Equinox is white if that matters to what type of sealant or wax to use.

Ronkh
05-03-2016, 10:19 AM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/detailing-product-reviews/179841-357-day-review-pbl-coating.html?highlight=review

ascarbo27
05-03-2016, 10:45 AM
ron, when you coat cars is it ok to do it outside in the sun? with no tarp to block wind?

Ronkh
05-03-2016, 11:09 AM
ron, when you coat cars is it ok to do it outside in the sun? with no tarp to block wind?

Sun is the enemy, wind is too. So just a slight breeze ok (imho) some will say no. But sun will get surface too hot. But I do pull em out as soon as its coated. That way it bakes it. Some of the "pro" coatings require sun lamps to cure.

Accumulator
05-03-2016, 01:47 PM
My Equinox is white if that matters to what type of sealant or wax to use.

Ah, white!

I`d use the same stuff I used on my white Crown Vic, a total POS which nonetheless looked so good that a guy bought it when I had it at my mechanic`s shop (couldn`t convince him it wasn`t as nice as it looked so I finally just let him have it).

FK1000P. Maybe used as a topper over some (easy to use) AIO.

Easy as a paste-LSP can be, lasts for many months, cleans almost as easily as a coating (I put that "almost" in there as a disclaimer, IME it cleans as well as the OptiCoat I use on some wheels), and one tin will last you for many, many years. Looks superb on white.