PDA

View Full Version : Best coating specifically for wheels?

Pages : [1] 2

cobrar97
04-23-2016, 11:57 PM
What is the (current) preferred coating specifically for wheels. Not meaning it has to be wheels specific, but thats the item that Im looking to coat. Any advice?

The Guz
04-24-2016, 12:23 AM
"Best" is relative but I have had great success with Pinnacle Black Label Wheel Coating.

RMD
04-24-2016, 02:18 AM
Ive been happy with 22ple wheel coating. Done it twice, the first time I got about 9 months before the beading degraded and the wheels took more effort to clean. I did them again about a year ago and the coating, or at least the protection is still going strong. Ive been topping them off every couple of months with Hydro2 which helps, and is as easy as it gets.

Mike lambert
04-24-2016, 05:26 AM
I have had great results with Gyeon rim

TroyScherer
04-24-2016, 08:16 AM
I have used CQ, CQUK, DLUX, OC Pro, Wolfs Rim, Pinn BlackLabel, and a few others I believe. The best by far is OC Pro. All the rest are good but need to be done almost yearly IMO due to the heat and issues break dust creates.

JBM
04-24-2016, 08:26 AM
To be honest, hydro.

PA DETAILER
04-24-2016, 10:57 AM
McKee`s 37 Wheel Coating (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/dp-wheel-coating.html)

Stokdgs
04-24-2016, 05:30 PM
I have used CQ, CQUK, DLUX, OC Pro, Wolfs Rim, Pinn BlackLabel, and a few others I believe. The best by far is OC Pro. All the rest are good but need to be done almost yearly IMO due to the heat and issues break dust creates.

^^^^^^ This one !!!!

Optimum is still keeping my Grand Cherokee alloy wheels inside and out way, way, cleaner than anything else I tried before on other vehicles..
Im talking not having to do anything to them to maintain the coating power for years... :)
Dan F

The Guz
04-24-2016, 07:53 PM

Unfortunately not everyone can get their hands on OC Pro.

JSFM35X
04-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Ive saw this post but did not respond Bc I applied rim and have not washed my car since. Its been about 6 weeks and I washed it today. The wheel coating makes cleaning the wheels a peice of cake. Just used car wash and my usual brushes. Hose pressure did not get everything and you still need to touch every inch. Maybe a pressure washer would have been better but I used my spot free system since it was sunny out.

TroyScherer
04-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Unfortunately not everyone can get their hands on OC Pro.

I am currently running Opti GlossCoat on some wheels as well. At this point I suggest Opti coatings over other "wheel coatings".

RaskyR1
04-25-2016, 12:05 PM
I always preferred OCP for its ease of application and quick cure time.

My $.02. I havent found any of them to maintain their "like new" properties much longer than 6-12 months, though you can usually tell theyre still there. Brakes and brake dust are hard on the wheels finish, hot iron fillings etching into the surface and the fact that brake dust turns acid when it gets wet, its not hard to understand why certain properties fall off over time. They are also lots of variables between cars and their brakes, how theyre driven, environment theyre subject too, and how they are maintained. All of which play a roll in performance, so not everyone will experience the same outcome.

As mentioned above, it is hard to beat the simplicity of the spray on rise off application of Hydr02.

512detail
04-25-2016, 01:13 PM
I agree.. been using Hydro2 lite for my truck the past 6 months or more (daily driver) and im satisfied. I reapply every two months and they are just as easy to clean as they were when I had Pinnacle Black Label wheel coating on them.

SGM2008
04-25-2016, 02:06 PM
I have had great results with Gyeon rim

Mike .... a couple of questions for you regarding the Gyeon Rim.

Does it require a special pre-treatment using another Gyeon product (Gyeon Prep) or do you use something else?

Is the foam block and suede applicator the best application method?

What is the shelf life once the product has been opened?

Do you get it from Phil?

Thanks!

4u2nvinmtl
04-25-2016, 02:31 PM
I can say with a fair amount of confidence that "the wheel best coating" is Dura-Brite but its applied during the forging processes of the wheels. In my case Dura-Brite still going strong 7+ years and 58,000 daily driven miles later.

Sorry, I know this isnt what you were expecting but just wanted to put it out there that IMHO this is hands down the best wheel coating (will get Dura-Brite coated wheels again if I can).