PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Wage

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

davidc
04-23-2016, 03:26 PM
With all the hype on $15.00 an hour, how will it effect the detailing industry ?. Of course I would think products will increase in price. Detailing businesses that hire employees I would think will have to raise prices. Of course prices across the board for everything not detailing related will increase and the minimum wage people will see a pay increase but what about the rest of us. No one seems to understand that a minimum wage job was never intended to make a living but was an incentive to better yourself and have the training etc. for a better paying job. Am I missing something here or is this going to be phase 2 of Obama Care and we get shafted again.

Dave

Poorboy
04-23-2016, 04:11 PM
its more about a living wage , but not a good idea for stepping stone jobs like Wendys McDs etc ... (of course unless you aspire to manage) ..

and it really has to go state by state as it costs a whole lot more to live in NY or California than it does in Idaho ...

I can tell you that prices do not need to increase if an employee can earn that and more in return ... better employees that make employers more money should be able to earn a living wage no matter what the minimum is anywhere and it certainly needs to be an incentive to get people working and off welfare.

davidc
04-23-2016, 04:37 PM
I was watching an interview with a restaurant owner that was in the midst of laying off employees in California. He stated that he has already raised prices but he does not think he can raise them again as no one will pay $15.00 for a hamburger and fries. He has replaced the workers laid off with 3 waffle makers valued at $300.00. So the living wage has already left some with out a wage at all. Businesses in Washington state are closing and/or moving leaving more people out of work. When I was working as a teenager at $1.65 it gave me the incentive to enlist in the USAF to learn a trade which has provided a living for 43 years so far. I personally do not know where this is going to lead but I have a feeling it will not be good.

Dave

Ronkh
04-23-2016, 04:40 PM
At best, its inflationary, at worst more unemployment. But on the bright side, as soon as they stop looking for work and go on welfare, the unemployment #s will go back down.

allenk4
04-23-2016, 04:51 PM
its more about a living wage , but not a good idea for stepping stone jobs like Wendys McDs etc ... (of course unless you aspire to manage) ..

and it really has to go state by state as it costs a whole lot more to live in NY or California than it does in Idaho ...

I can tell you that prices do not need to increase if an employee can earn that and more in return ... better employees that make employers more money should be able to earn a living wage no matter what the minimum is anywhere and it certainly needs to be an incentive to get people working and off welfare.

You have a very simple view of the World

It does cost more to live in SOME parts of California, but your sweeping generalization sounds very much like a typical Federal Government assessment of the real world that they do not completely understand.

Ever very wonder why Unions push so hard for a higher minimum wage? Their hidden agenda is that many of their contracts are tied to the Minimum Wage.

The incentive to get people back to work is not raising the minimum wage it is cutting the longevity and frequency of the available benefits package. Do you think any employer really wants to hire someone who is unwilling to get off the couch for $10 an hour (current California MW), but will show up most of the time for $15.00

Less than 4% of the entire US population work for Minimum Wage

Do do you want the Federal Government to tell Poorboys World how much you have to pay your employees; instead of you deciding what the fruits of their labor are actually worth and balancing the employees pay with what they generate for the company?

Ronkh
04-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Perfect

JBM
04-23-2016, 06:43 PM
Im all for it but not for the reason you would think. I hardly ever goto Walmart and a good reason why is the stupid mo fos that work there with their neck tats yelling a different language down the isles. Maybe at 15 an hour and the bottom feeders will get squeezed out of anywhere I frequent.

Lonnie
04-23-2016, 07:35 PM
Please review: http://www.autopia.org/forums/hot-tub/46273-15-00-minimum-wage.html?highlight=wage

This is not a new topic and when you review the issues from this 2014 thread, its still the same-old-same-old.

Ronkh
04-23-2016, 07:48 PM
Please review: http://www.autopia.org/forums/hot-tub/46273-15-00-minimum-wage.html?highlight=wage

This is not a new topic and when you review the issues from this 2014 thread, its still the same-old-same-old.

Business and economic principles remain constant....... The original article brought to you by yours truly.

Ronkh
04-23-2016, 08:18 PM
I was good!!

Poorboy
04-23-2016, 08:38 PM
You have a very simple view of the World

Hardly at all ... with a degree in Economics and Business and a Masters in Education I have dealt with all sorts of people and different levels of employment and employing others.

It does cost more to live in SOME parts of California, but your sweeping generalization sounds very much like a typical Federal Government assessment of the real world that they do not completely understand.

Yes, this is a generalization, but the majority (having lived in California) live in the major cities and unless you want to live in East LA or Englewood, the good housing is expensive and most people have to commute to work .. not much of a mass transit system ..

Ever very wonder why Unions push so hard for a higher minimum wage? Their hidden agenda is that many of their contracts are tied to the Minimum Wage.

Yes, often Unions want much more salary and benefits than their work force is qualified to earn, causing higher prices ... remember the auto industry had massive fights to get paid unrealistic amounts to mount a tire ...We wondered back then why we couldnt compete with the Japanese not just in cost but in quality .. yes there are people with high tech and responsible jobs that absolutely deserve higher pay.

The incentive to get people back to work is not raising the minimum wage it is cutting the longevity and frequency of the available benefits package. Do you think any employer really wants to hire someone who is unwilling to get off the couch for $10 an hour (current California MW), but will show up most of the time for $15.00

If a welfare person is making more staying home than they can bring home after paying all the expenses including child care and transportation, there is no incentive to get off the couch .. yes, this is not true of all on welfare, some just wont work, which is a whole other problem.

Less than 4% of the entire US population work for Minimum Wage

Exactly .. raising the minimum wage state by state, maybe even city by city is needed to make people want to go to work and stay with a job ..
Hiring and training is a huge expense that most executives understand and they want employees to go home and be satisfied at the end of the week.

Do do you want the Federal Government to tell Poorboys World how much you have to pay your employees; instead of you deciding what the fruits of their labor are actually worth and balancing the employees pay with what they generate for the company?

Anyone who has ever worked for me has made more (much more) than minimum wage and they live pretty well .. I happen to value hard work and reward it. I have had discussions with CEOs of some pretty large companies over the years and the hiring and training of employees is very costly compared to trying to keep good employees who understand the system.

There are always exceptions to every rule or law (ie people who work for tips, part time workers , seasonal workers etc. ) no system works for everyone ...

allenk4
04-23-2016, 08:57 PM
If the Minimum Wage goes to $15 an hour; do you think your lowest paid employee will still be happy with what they are making now?

PRIDE should be the reason a man wants to work and support his Family.

Your Masters in Education, gives me mixed emotions as I generally feel that those with similar credentials are driving our Education System into the Ditch.

Poorboy
04-23-2016, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=allenk4;2046019]If the Minimum Wage goes to $15 an hour; do you think your lowest paid employee will still be happy with what they are making now?

It will be years, maybe decades before the Federal Minimum wage gets that high and if that is a starting wage, then they would have to show they can be worth that amount or they would be replaced. Again I dont believe everyone, everywhere will get this amount and certainly not fast food workers (these jobs were part time high school and college kids when I was younger .. no one when I did it was there as a career except the management).

Pride is a damn good reason, but not always the realism ... have seen too many single mothers who had their man just walk away

Your Masters in Education, gives me mixed emotions as I generally feel that those with similar credentials are driving our Education System into the Ditch.

Yup there are a lot of bad apples in the system and some who only show up for a pay check ... thats one of the reasons I prefer to teach detailing to adults rather than teaching children ... one of the biggest reasons why the education system in many areas sucks is parents who expect the system to raise their children.

Ronkh
04-23-2016, 09:35 PM
If the Minimum Wage goes to $15 an hour; do you think your lowest paid employee will still be happy with what they are making now?

Pride, self worth, responsibility....

But why be responsible when the government will take care of it for ya, as well as so many worthy tax payers

Halleluiah

House of Wax
04-23-2016, 10:51 PM
No one seems to understand that a minimum wage job was never intended to make a living but was an incentive to better yourself and have the training etc. for a better paying job.

Dave

This X eleventy million. When I was bagging groceries in high school, it was to put gas in my car, pay my insurance, and have a couple of bucks to go to a movie on the weekend. At no point did I ever have any illusions that I could live on my own off of that wage. I dont know when the hell that idea changed, but it needs to be pounded back into the heads of thousands of people in this country.