PDA

View Full Version : Here`s a First????

Pages : [1] 2

Beemerboy
05-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Yesterday my neighbor comes over and wants to wash her black Jag that I detailed 2 weeks ago....I was cleaning the wheels on a customers Corvette at the time, and then she said. That her son had yelled at her for allowing me to use wheel cleaner on her rims because that causes the brakes to squeak!
He is a service writer for Jaguar

I told her that what I used (PB S&R) its a dedicated wheel cleaner and I have never heard this before ever!!!

So question for you all what do you think??

This is the son that told her that using dish soap was OK on a car....I don`t hold much regard for this guys expertise, on car care.:D

GregCavi
05-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you already know the correct answer!

Greg

audiboy
05-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Sounds like you already know the correct answer!

Greg

I second that.

Brenton
05-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Brakes squeak sometimes.
Don`t use S&R every week.
Or use your brakes less.

audiboy
05-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Brakes squeak sometimes.
Or use your brakes less.

That last part might not be good advice to give to a serious detailer. They might actually consider it.;) I can just see them trying to rationalize using their brakes less if it means that they can keep their wheels cleaner.:D

maximv1
05-28-2006, 03:01 PM
in my 12 years of working at a car dealership i have never found a product of any sort, not just detailing, that will make your brakes squeak more than a couple of times until it burns off. this kid is nuts i think.

Beemerboy
05-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks all I knew the answer just wanted to see what others where thinking

GearHead_1
05-28-2006, 03:33 PM
in my 12 years of working at a car dealership i have never found a product of any sort, not just detailing, that will make your brakes squeak more than a couple of times until it burns off. this kid is nuts i think.
As an ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician add another 20 years to this statement. I`ve done my share of brakes.

Maxima Lover
05-28-2006, 04:54 PM
That last part might not be good advice to give to a serious detailer. They might actually consider it.;) I can just see them trying to rationalize using their brakes less if it means that they can keep their wheels cleaner.:D
Actually, after I wash my car and wheels, I find myself downshifting all of the time to avoid using the brakes as much as possible. This is especially true coming off the highways.

Beemer, the squeaking is caused by any liquid or rust on the caliper being taken off by the pads. The only way that using wheel cleaner could mess up the brakes, is if it was sprayed on while they were hot which could warp the rotors.

If the squeaking for more than a few seconds after a wash, the brakes need to be inspected and possibly replaced. Either she needs new pads, or her rotors are warped, or both.

Are they squeaking now, or does it just "cause squeaking"?

audiboy
05-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Don`t forget that ceramic pads will often squeek also. I seriously doubt the Jag has them on there, but it`s something to think about for a vehilce that does.

bigron62
05-28-2006, 08:26 PM
if hes so concerned why doesnt he wash mommys car like a good boy

Beemerboy
05-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Actually, after I wash my car and wheels, I find myself downshifting all of the time to avoid using the brakes as much as possible. This is especially true coming off the highways.

Beemer, the squeaking is caused by any liquid or rust on the caliper being taken off by the pads. The only way that using wheel cleaner could mess up the brakes, is if it was sprayed on while they were hot which could warp the rotors.

If the squeaking for more than a few seconds after a wash, the brakes need to be inspected and possibly replaced. Either she needs new pads, or her rotors are warped, or both.

Are they squeaking now, or does it just "cause squeaking"?

No her brakes are not squeaking at all it was a statement made by her son saying that using wheels cleaners would lead to making your brake squeak. I have never had any of my brakes squeak from this over the 30 plus years that I have been detailing cars.

jdoria
05-29-2006, 10:12 AM
He works as a service writer in a Jaguar dealer. Jaguar needs to make every excuse possible for the lack of reliability in their products.

I bet he has even better lines that he feeds customers.

joe.p
05-29-2006, 11:07 AM
:lol: :bigups
Brakes squeak sometimes.
Or use your brakes less.

Hawaiianelement
06-02-2006, 02:24 PM
He works as a service writer in a Jaguar dealer. Jaguar needs to make every excuse possible for the lack of reliability in their products.

I bet he has even better lines that he feeds customers.

As a serivice writer myself , I can definately seeing that possibility.

Not that I would say that to anyone .Its the surface rust that is getting
run off by the pads upon first braking after a wash or sitting over night
in high humidity situations.

So wheel cleaner or plain water doesn`t matter.