PDA

View Full Version : What happened to KAIO

Pages : [1] 2 3

JBM
04-16-2016, 08:08 PM
Seems back in the day the goto for every sealant was Klasse AIO as a base and then the sealant (or wax for that matter). Now a days it never gets mentioned.

I still have a half a bottle of the old formula, before they had to meet the VOC regulations or whatever it was. I stopped using it due to using Z2p a lot, but I even remember people saying it worked under that just dandy.

Cant beat the bottle either!

ShaneB
04-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Never tried it myself but I still see posts here and there of people using it.

my guess is that better products have since been released and people have switched to whatever they like best

Don
04-16-2016, 10:46 PM
I still use Klasse AIO and HGSG on my rims and high-wear areas on the body of the car (nose, behind the wheels etc.)

pheerix
04-16-2016, 11:37 PM
AIO probably doesn`t have the cut of more recent compounds and AIOs. HGSG is still a great sealant albeit not the easiest to use compared to newer products.

Don
04-17-2016, 01:52 AM
AIO probably doesn`t have the cut of more recent compounds and AIOs. HGSG is still a great sealant albeit not the easiest to use compared to newer products.

KAIO is a chemical cleaner, not abrasive

DBAILEY
04-17-2016, 04:35 AM
Bottles of KAIO and HGSG were in AG`s clearance section for like 2-3 years. They just recently took it down. I used to use KAIO under Zaino a lot before the Zaino AIO came out. But I haven`t used Zaino in probably 7-8 years. Seems like top acrylic sealants with just about everything without issues. I still use KAIO to deep clean door jambs and clean around badges/lettering. KAIO is still one of the best deep cleaning AIO`s out there.

Pats300zx
04-17-2016, 05:59 AM
I still have bottles of both sitting on my shelf. I just think it`s the evolution of detailing products. More products get developed that get easier to use.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Accumulator
04-17-2016, 11:01 AM
I still have/use both KAIO and KSG. I haven`t found any other products that are directly comparable (never tried the Jeff`s), let alone better. Different, yes..enough so that I use KSG less than I used to, but still not "better".

KAIO is simply great when you want to avoid trim-staining and/or you don`t need/want abrasives. I`ll be using it this afternoon in the A8`s wheelwells.

I still use the KSG on exterior surfaces where my desire to build up a protective coating justifies the six (or more) layers that I find necessary, e.g., glossy black exterior plastic surfaces. It`s the only (conventional/non-coating) LSP I`ve ever used that provides discernable protection against marring and also the only one with which I`ve ever experienced "marring that was only in the LSP, not the underlying surface".

FWIW, I`ve always found both KAIO and KSG to be *VERY* easy to use and it takes much less than an ounce of KSG to do one coat on something the size of a Suburban. I only quit using KSG as my daily-driver/wheel LSP because FK1000P (which protects almost as well but does *NOT* offer the same type of physical barier/coating effect) doesn`t require so much layering, sheds contamination better and longer, and looks better to me.

ca.detailchick
04-17-2016, 08:52 PM
I still have use for both and probably always will.

*Anyone who has no need for KSG can send it on my way!:bigups

JustJesus
04-18-2016, 11:12 AM
I was going to use it yesterday on a car who`s owner just wants a clean up and some protection. Unfortunately, I woke up with a sore back and postponed the job.

It will be my first time with it, and I`m looking forward to the experience.

Accumulator
04-18-2016, 11:44 AM
JustJesus- If there`s any possible way to justify the added time/effort, I`d top the KAIO with *something* as it just doesn`t last by itself...wouldn`t surprise me if some spraywaxes last a lot longer.

Good luck with the sore back..

JustJesus
04-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Accumulator: That was the plan. A wise man said FK1000p is good stuff. And I don`t have KSG, so yeah. The plan is to clean up the Silver car with KAIO and top with FK1000p. I know the owner well enough to know he`s NOT going to wash it anywhere near Autopian standards.

And thanks! My back is feeling better. I took it easy all day Sunday.

4u2nvinmtl
04-18-2016, 12:23 PM
I still use KAIO, a lot. When I`m not compounding/polishing I use KAIO.

Let`s say for example a friend comes over to detail his car and we decontaminate, I will definitely KAIO (even the glass) and top with the LSP of their choice (I got so many might as well get some use out of them).

KAIO rocks! I even used it on my friends Lexus SC400 that had terrible oxidation but he didn`t want to remove any paint (well the least possible). It turned the paint from dull and rough textured (felt like chalk) to shiny smooth and dare I say glossy... I was able to do 3 passes with KIAO in very little time and the best part is we didn`t have to tape much off as residue is easily wiped off. It also took many less pads than polishing.

I`ve also used KAIO on new cars from the dealership that have been sitting for a long time, and it really brighten`s the paint (via clearer clear coat). I did a car that looked brown and when I was done it looked black cherry red (this was a new car with 12miles on the odometer)

Klasse rocks even by today`s standard as my LSP winter face off proved (Klasse was on par with most of the other LSP`s by the end of my 4-month test). Klasse SG is crazy when layered a lot too (good for a detailing addict with lots of time, IMHO)

My friend still uses KAIO regularly . It`s basically his go-to glass cleaner (PC+KAIO, and wipe off).

4u2nvinmtl
04-18-2016, 12:25 PM

It has no abrasives (as far as I know), just the pad that cuts. It`s more of a paint cleaner than leaves something behind (LSP-wise).

Accumulator
04-18-2016, 01:01 PM
I still use KAIO, a lot. I even used it on my friends Lexus SC400 that had terrible oxidation.....

Yes indeed, KAIO is good for removing oxidation.

It has no abrasives (as far as I know), just the pad that cuts...

That`s what I always say....BUT, some people who have burnished the paint to perfection have found that using KAIO did slightly diminish the gloss (apparently regardless of which pad they used). Never happened to me, but I`ve never used it after burnishing (AKA "jeweling", a term I don`t like in this context).

The plan is to clean up the Silver car with KAIO and top with FK1000p...

Yeah, that`s a great combo, oughta work great.

Glad your back`s getting better already!