PDA

View Full Version : camcorder advice

Rod73
04-10-2016, 07:09 PM
I shopping around for good value options for a camcorder. I`m looking for something that`s not out of this world(budget) but good enough quality for me to look respectable and taken seriously on YouTube.

Hoping for suggestions... thanks

Dan
04-10-2016, 07:46 PM
What are you looking to film and what gear do you currently have?

Rod73
04-10-2016, 08:35 PM
I want to film my detailing work, for information and entertainment marketing, uploaded to YouTube and other social media. Right now I have a Samsung 4 android, although I will be upgrading to an S7 before the end of the month. I am looking for something a little better than a smartphone. I don`t have a budget yet to go all out, but I want something business practical and respectable for that use.

mjlinane
04-11-2016, 05:24 AM
Like with photography, lighting (and learning to use it) is way more important that the camera.

As for camera features, manual exposure is definitely nice to have. Image stabilization helps less than you`d think.

I`ve used my cell phone, an old Flip camcorder and a nice Canon. Not a ton of difference in the results.

Rod73
04-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Thanks, I`m leaning on sticking with the cell phone.

Dan
04-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Like with photography, lighting (and learning to use it) is way more important that the camera.

As for camera features, manual exposure is definitely nice to have. Image stabilization helps less than you`d think.

I`ve used my cell phone, an old Flip camcorder and a nice Canon. Not a ton of difference in the results.

I agree with the above, especially lighting!. A tripod will add more than a good lens held poorly!

The reason I asked about current equipment is that modern cellphones are really, really good. Filming cars sitting still and people talking is really easy for any camera. Add movement and poor lighting conditions is where better equipment helps, but you`ll need to spend a LOT more for that equipment. Modern DSLRS are a big bang for the buck, you can pick up a Nikon 3200 or 5100 with a 35mm 1.8 lens for about $200-300, that will take some seriously sharp video. Don`t forget sound, you`ll need a good mic or remote recorder if you want to sound professional. Beyond a DSLR, you`ll need to spend well north of $1k to get better video quality.

For recording stuff that requires both hands while I do things, I really love my mobius camera, it fits under the bill of my cap.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30494&stc=1