PDA

View Full Version : Megs Ult OTC vs Opt. Experience

Pages : [1] 2

ZL1
04-04-2016, 03:39 PM
As many of us my garage is loaded with product. In fall on a whim and what I`ve been reading I picked up some Megs Ultimate products. I did 1 car that got tunnel washed 1 time per week. Half the car was done with Opt and the other half the Ult. (Black bottle stuff) and only the spray wax of both product line. I was really surprised at the longevity , heading , slickness and shine of the Megs over the opt spray wax. I have then thrived a spring detail on another car and used just opt. Prepped the paint and cleaned it , polished it and used some of the liquid around the trim and paste elsewhere. Wow. Pretty impressive for "otc" stuff.

I think a lot of the "boutique" products that I have bought are really waste of money years ago. I only use 3 or 4 lines now and none of the gimmic boutique stuff. Don`t waste your money.

I won a show / shine contest last year with my Zl1 using Ult polish followed by 845 Collinite and DG AW. I was funny to see everyone with there taped out spray bottle expensive products so know one knew their tricks and I win with a bottle of $6 DG AW from NAPA lol.

Lonnie
04-05-2016, 01:49 PM
ZL1:
Where did you get Collinite 845 over-the-counter from? Most of the time, it may come from a boating supply store as 925 Fiberglass Wax (it`s identical marine twin.) One suggestion is if you do find a place that sells Collinite, ask if they will special order Collinite 915 Marque d` Elegance Wax. I bought this wax for use on daily drivers that still want a good carnauba shine without paying a fortune for a high-end carnauba wax. It`s easy to apply and take off (I use the wax-on-wax-off method; some prefer to let it haze over for 5 minutes, then wipe it off). It has the best of both world`s for a carnauba wax : it has a great shine WITH great longevity, AND, as stated, it`s not expensive (relatively speaking). No, it`s not going to match the show-car shine of, say, Pinnacle`s Souveran paste wax or Dodo Juice`s Supernatural, but for the hobbyist`s/weekend warrior`s daily driver who may show their vehicle in local car shows, it a great wax to use.

Pats300zx
04-05-2016, 02:21 PM
ZL1:
Where did you get Collinite 845 over-the-counter from? Most of the time, it may come from a boating supply store as 925 Fiberglass Wax (it`s identical marine twin.) One suggestion is if you do find a place that sells Collinite, ask if they will special order Collinite 915 Marque d` Elegance Wax. I bought this wax for use on daily drivers that still want a good carnauba shine without paying a fortune for a high-end carnauba wax. It`s easy to apply and take off (I use the wax-on-wax-off method; some prefer to let it haze over for 5 minutes, then wipe it off). It has the best of both world`s for a carnauba wax : it has a great shine WITH great longevity, AND, as stated, it`s not expensive (relatively speaking). No, it`s not going to match the show-car shine of, say, Pinnacle`s Souveran paste wax or Dodo Juice`s Supernatural, but for the hobbyist`s/weekend warrior`s daily driver who may show their vehicle in local car shows, it a great wax to use.

I have seen 845 for sale at Harbor Freight....

TroyScherer
04-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Very cool. Just goes to show that OTC stuff isn`t always "junk"

Question:

When you polished the car what did you use to prep and clean the paint After you polished and before applying the spray wax? I know that Optimum wax works better when the surface is clean and free of all polishing oils. But Meg`s stuff works with their polishes so you don`t have to get all the polishing oils off.

If using Opti polishes then its the same deal. I wipe down after polishing using ONR as it is made to work together.

JBM
04-05-2016, 03:02 PM
So your saying all of us here are morons for buying over priced boutique stuff?

Ronkh
04-05-2016, 03:03 PM
<----- moron

So your saying all of us here are morons for buying over priced boutique stuff?

rlmccarty2000
04-05-2016, 09:21 PM
I resemble that remark.

GearHead_1
04-05-2016, 10:09 PM
<----- moronHA! Not going there.

Don
04-05-2016, 10:41 PM
I get my 845 at Advance Auto Parts and my 476s at NAPA.

EXPDetailing
04-06-2016, 07:46 AM
I get my 845 at Advance Auto Parts and my 476s at NAPA.

Same here, I live in Cleveland.

JBM
04-06-2016, 08:29 AM
There is an interesting podcast with Dr G. discussing how his spray wax with patented UV protection will migrate into the clear coat with repeated use. Evidently (I wasnt aware of this) the UV protection in clear coat with be 50% removed in 5 years. Some people think thats important, but some people trade in their rides so often its not important.

glfnaz
04-06-2016, 11:15 AM
Honestly I don`t find my favorite Autopia / Auto Geek "boutique" products to be more expensive than what is on the shelf at Napa / Autozone / O`Reilleys / etc.

I do like Opti Spray wax and find it very reasonably priced. (especially if sourced by the gallon). I can`t find Collinite locally OTC but the 845 and 465 are very reasonably priced here. Aqua Wax is no longer available OTC in my area but at Autopia it is only about 10 dollars. If you bundle and get free shipping and items on sale, these brands are simply cheaper than OTC many times. I find these brands simply better (to my eye) that a lot of OTC stuff and not really more expensive.

Ronkh
04-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Honestly I don`t find my favorite Autopia / Auto Geek "boutique" products to be more expensive than what is on the shelf at Napa / Autozone / O`Reilleys / etc.

I do like Opti Spray wax and find it very reasonably priced. (especially if sourced by the gallon). I can`t find Collinite locally OTC but the 845 and 465 are very reasonably priced here. Aqua Wax is no longer available OTC in my area but at Autopia it is only about 10 dollars. If you bundle and get free shipping and items on sale, these brands are simply cheaper than OTC many times. I find these brands simply better (to my eye) that a lot of OTC stuff and not really more expensive.

connect !!! (makes life better)

JustJesus
04-06-2016, 11:43 AM
connect !!! (makes life better)

I`m still kicking myself for not doing this.

<------- moron

Ronkh
04-06-2016, 11:51 AM
I`m still kicking myself for not doing this.

<------- moron

I almost didn`t... Living so close, I`m only a day away for ups.

Honestly, connect would have been worth twice the price for me............... (ssshhhh don`t tell anyone)