PDA

View Full Version : My first try

Frankf
04-01-2016, 07:12 PM
I`m about to start working on my 2010 Maxima which has swirls due to using car washes and not always washing it myself. I have read a lot of post the past few weeks but now I`m just getting confused. My plan is/was to clay then use my PC7424XP with an orange hexlogic pad then move to 205 with a white hexlogic pad. Of course wax afterwards. I will be trying to do just the hood and fenders the first day. Should I not be able to finish this the first day and I`ve clayed the hood and fenders is it ok to just use a spray wax to the areas that were not finished? I`m I going in the right direction? I apologize for asking such basic questions but everybody on this forum are always helpful and do not flame people for asking questions.

Frank

Migue
04-01-2016, 07:52 PM
Sounds like you`ll be correcting little by little and driving the car? Or will it be parked somewhere in between machine work?

Frankf
04-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Sounds like you`ll be correcting little by little and driving the car? Or will it be parked somewhere in between machine work?

Right. I will be correcting little by little. Since I don`t have a garage I will be working in the driveway before the sun starts to come around.

mjlinane
04-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Welcome!

Migue
04-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Right. I will be correcting little by little. Since I don`t have a garage I will be working in the driveway before the sun starts to come around.

In that case here`s what my approach would be: Wash,decontaminate(clay),compound,polish then wax/seal one panel at a time. It`ll look "silly" but it`ll save you time from washing the car/panels more than needed and you`ll move around the car a lot less, saving you time. That way, your only concern with your limited time is to just finish the one panel, and not finish the panel, then wax entire vehicle etc.. and if you have a limited amount of pads, you`ll be able to clean the pads and get them ready for the next day/panel.

There are different ways to get there, that`s the beauty of detailing, but if i was in your shoes, that`s what i would do to save me time and product .

Ronkh
04-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Where are you that the sun will cause a problem in early spring?

Thought about using sun friendly products?

Frankf
04-02-2016, 02:51 PM
In that case here`s what my approach would be: Wash,decontaminate(clay),compound,polish then wax/seal one panel at a time. It`ll look "silly" but it`ll save you time from washing the car/panels more than needed and you`ll move around the car a lot less, saving you time. That way, your only concern with your limited time is to just finish the one panel, and not finish the panel, then wax entire vehicle etc.. and if you have a limited amount of pads, you`ll be able to clean the pads and get them ready for the next day/panel.

There are different ways to get there, that`s the beauty of detailing, but if i was in your shoes, that`s what i would do to save me time and product .

Migue - kind of what I was planning to do but more like doing all 3 steps on hood. Next day fenders. Then doors third day. Trunk and rear quarter panels last. No need to do roof as it is all glass.

Frankf
04-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Where are you that the sun will cause a problem in early spring?

Thought about using sun friendly products?

I`m in Baltimore Maryland. Never thought about using sun friendly products. I need to find out what they are. Thanks for the suggestion.

TuxedoTaurus
04-02-2016, 03:08 PM
I`m in Baltimore Maryland. Never thought about using sun friendly products. I need to find out what they are. Thanks for the suggestion.
Check out Poorboys products

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Docpeanut
04-03-2016, 05:06 PM
3D/HD products are also user friendly. Also, look up a guy named Docpeanut, he lives in Baltimore and will surely be willing to help you out

Frankf
04-03-2016, 07:00 PM
3D/HD products are also user friendly. Also, look up a guy named Docpeanut, he lives in Baltimore and will surely be willing to help you out

As soon as the weather improves I will definitely look you up. It would be nice to have someone to show me the ropes. Where do you hang out?

Docpeanut
04-03-2016, 07:18 PM
As soon as the weather improves I will definitely look you up. It would be nice to have someone to show me the ropes. Where do you hang out?

I grew up on the mean streets of Pikesville, now my crew rolls in Owings Mills. And by crew, I mean the wife and little heads

Frankf
04-04-2016, 09:59 AM
I grew up on the mean streets of Pikesville, now my crew rolls in Owings Mills. And by crew, I mean the wife and little heads

I`m in Westview. Not too far away.

JustJesus
04-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Doing sections at a time is fine. I`ve done a few that way myself.

Yesterday, as a matter of fact, I only did a hood, and plan to finish it this week. Yesterday`s hood got a wash/ decon, followed by a 3 step. Normally I wouldn`t do all three steps (compound, polish, sealant) but I was testing out a product, so I did.

Docpeanut is offering his assistance, I would totally take advantage of that generosity! Good luck on your project.

Docpeanut
04-04-2016, 03:47 PM
I`m in Westview. Not too far away.

You`re right around the corner, we can get your car knocked out in a day