PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar Kits and usage

Pilotchris22
03-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a clay bar kit (possibly the Mother`s Gold) to use for my personal car and for my clients.
Clay bars are new to me, so I was wondering how many uses you generally get out of a clay bar kit - or is this something that needs to be purchased for every car each time it gets clay bar?

Thanks!

CB

LEDetailng
03-31-2016, 01:04 PM
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a clay bar kit (possibly the Mother`s Gold) to use for my personal car and for my clients.
Clay bars are new to me, so I was wondering how many uses you generally get out of a clay bar kit - or is this something that needs to be purchased for every car each time it gets clay bar?

Thanks!

CB

It all depends on how much containments you pick up off the paint. You could probably use one 200g clay bar on one severely contaminated car. On the opposite side of the spectrum you take 10 Autopian members cars after 6 months of no claying, clay those 10 cars and your 200g clay bar will probably be good to go. As an example my 2006 Sienna went through an entire winter this year in WI and my clay bar this spring barely picked up anything.

Stokdgs
03-31-2016, 01:08 PM
I have tried Mother`s clay years ago and it was too sticky and just not good for me, so I threw it away...

The best all-around claybar in my experiences has always been - Clay Magic, Blue Bar, available at most any auto parts place like Pep Boys, etc...
You will need a claybar lubricant or you can try to use it with soapy water which has never been a good way for me to use it...
I prefer and only use DoDo Juice Born Slippy claybar lube and it is absolutely the best for my needs..

Most of us here have gone on to those rubberized towels or pads, and the advantage to these is that they just rinse off with water, and can be re- used for awhile before they eventually wear down... They are more expensive than claybars though, so you have to weigh that consideration also...

If you want to just use a claybar and want to keep it longer, because it does get full of the gunk it removes out of paint and some paint is really gunked up, then I would suggest using the BlackFire Claybar Cleaner Spray sold here.. It absolutely cleans the embedded gunk out of your claybar by removing a tiny bit of that top layer of clay that has all the gunk in it out, and then you can start all over again with that side of the claybar...

Wash the vehicle really well first, and then while its still wet, start your claybar process and you should be fine !
Good Luck -
Dan F

cobrar97
04-30-2016, 09:21 PM
I used clay for years...and when I switched to the rubberized towels, I couldnt believe I hadnt done it soon. Check out the Nanoskin towels (or the many similar product from other brands). If you are going to POLISH anyhow, this is the way to go. They last much long, work much, much faster, and simply clean off. Night and day difference over clay. Now...if I was doing my own car (which is always clean), I still use a claybar because its slightly gentler and doesnt require polish afterward. That is the ONLY reason Id still use an old-fashion clay product.

rookiez
05-01-2016, 03:04 AM
Check-out the Nanoskin sponges, theres an ongoing sale somewhere else mix & match, 2 for $16.99 :) Autopia will price-match that!

Bunky
05-01-2016, 05:16 AM
I have tried Mothers clay years ago and it was too sticky and just not good for me, so I threw it away...

I have used Mothers clay many times and never experienced any stickiness. I have used Mothers showtime, Megs detail spray, and DP (now called McKees 37) clay lube with the clay.

JBM
05-01-2016, 06:12 AM
I am on my first clay towel and holy hell is that nice to use. I still keep clay around for weird stuff stuck down by the doors, but it doesnt get used often now that I use coatings as well. Technology for the win eh.

edb
05-01-2016, 11:08 AM
I use regular clay for the wheels too.

Accumulator
05-01-2016, 11:59 AM
While I understand that most people wont clay the way I do, Id still emphasize avoiding marring as opposed to trying to get as much use as possible out of the clay; Id consider the clay expendible (unlike clearcoat- if you mar it then youll need to polish some off to get things nice again).

Tear the claybar into small pieces so you wont contaminate the whole thing if (more like "when" ) you drop it.